Good luck Jarryd Lyons

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s not the point is it.
FAITH is far becoming new marty around this place.

head-in-sand.jpg

Where did this come from again?

We always liked JL but he couldn't play Matt Crouch, JL and Scott Thompson in the same side. Too many similar types...similar size, similar pace, similar games as midfielders. We made a call which I am comfortable with.

JL got the offer from GC that was too good to refuse and we could not match it because we were of the belief that we were going to get Gibbs that trade period. We didn't and Lyons went off to GC. Not a huge loss. Our midfield performed as good as any in 2017 without Lyons. Just because we were not willing to offer him the sort of deal GC offered him, it doesn't mean we didn't like him. Essentially, we backed in Matt Crouch as a better player and rightly so. JL is a good solid player but he would still be too much of a similar thing in our midfield if he was here.

The word was that he didn't want too much more than what our offer already was. If we'd delisted Thommo and thrown his $250k at Lyons, would he have stayed?

Bang on the money.....Why some couldn't see this at the time and still can't is unbelievable. I guess it just doesn't suit their agenda.

It's not bang on the money because Thommo played one game in the season following Lyons' departure. He wasn't part of the midfield plans, he was given a gold watch contract. Stiffy is normally right, but he's dead wrong including Thommo in his rationale.

And Dewey is trying to change that.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Like Neeld at Melbourne. Let's just say the jury is out on Dew. We had a low 2 year contract in front of Jarryd then GC, pre Dew offered him 3 at more. Brisbane have now offered a further 2 years. Evidence thus far points to Dew having made a bit of a mistake. Time will tell though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Lyons seems to fall into that awkward category of not being considered elite, but he's still above average and thus commands a hefty price tag. They probably figure they can get similar output from Miles at a fraction of the price and cutting Lyons frees them up to chase top end recruits down the line.

What boggles my mind is why they didn't seek a trade for Lyons. Why let him walk out the door for nothing?

Getting rid of Cloke was a smart move. Shaw not so much. He's produced some very good footy at GWS.

I think it was more about playing group culture with Shaw. Talk was there was a group of premiership players who thought they'd done enough.

As a comparison we’ve also seen how Mrouch (who I’m sure shades Lyons for clearance work anyway) has added more spread and general impact to his game away from clearances, as well as improving the accuracy of his kicking and developing his right foot so he gets in strife less often

I'm not sure that Gold Coast is a team that could do much in the way of helping someone generate stats outside of clearances. They've been completely s**t for the 2 years that he's been there. He averaged about 20 off a flank in his last year with us. Very little stoppage time and lowish TOG.

I'm not sure that Gold Coast is a team that could do much in the way of helping someone generate stats outside of clearances. They've been completely s**t for the 2 years that he's been there. He averaged about 20 off a flank in his last year with us. Very little stoppage time and lowish TOG.

Playing for Brisbane might give him the best chance to show what he can do, although I think they said something about him supporting others. He’ll be behind Neale Zorko etc but hopefully for his sake he can get a good run at it

I think the only valid knock on Jarryd is his disposal efficiency. But, those that actually watch him play would know that for a stoppage midfielder he kicks more often than standard. He's one of the few players that exit stoppages with ball in hand on foot. If he dished off a bit more by hand, he'd improve his DE significantly. But because he often gets the ball while on the move and travelling at goal, his options by hand out of the contest are mostly behind him. He doesn't have the pace to burn off an opponent, so he's often kicking without a lot of time to assess options and execute. Still, it is a weakness because David Mackay tells us that you can have a pretty good kicking DE without hitting targets. You just need to kick to space or to a 50:50 contest.

Playing for Brisbane might give him the best chance to show what he can do, although I think they said something about him supporting others. He’ll be behind Neale Zorko etc but hopefully for his sake he can get a good run at it
I remember he had a purple patch of 3 best on grounds including a stunning game for Juniors 300th playing alongside Gablett. I think this was when his detractors first started feeling they may have got it wrong. But like our mate Trump instead of admitting their mistake they doubled down on him.

I think he showed his capability in 2017 playing alongside one of the best players in AFL history. Dew wasn’t there to see that form and although his 2018 form wasn’t a patch on it once Junior left and Stewie Dew arrived it was statistically quite good. Good enough to not be sacked mid contract.

Where did this come from again?

We always liked JL but he couldn't play Matt Crouch, JL and Scott Thompson in the same side. Too many similar types...similar size, similar pace, similar games as midfielders. We made a call which I am comfortable with.

JL got the offer from GC that was too good to refuse and we could not match it because we were of the belief that we were going to get Gibbs that trade period. We didn't and Lyons went off to GC. Not a huge loss. Our midfield performed as good as any in 2017 without Lyons. Just because we were not willing to offer him the sort of deal GC offered him, it doesn't mean we didn't like him. Essentially, we backed in Matt Crouch as a better player and rightly so. JL is a good solid player but he would still be too much of a similar thing in our midfield if he was here.
This line was pedalled by certain posters as the reason we shipped him off!

So it is amusing to see David Noble now debunking that myth.

Something else that's interesting is the posters claiming that 24.5 touches isn't great for an inside midfielder because it's a stat racking up role. These would be the same posters who were thrilled to carry Thommo from rounds 7 onwards in 2016 averaging 21 per week from +80%TOG and without a single shred of defensive spread. It's just pure bias against a player and nothing to do with his actual output or level of talent.

That's not the point at all though. People can't seem to understand that the Suns are doing him a solid by letting him go early so he can take a longer deal at a better team in Brisbane (and one where they hinted he might get coaching opportunities after it). Suns are s**t, they know they'll be s**t, they just brought in guys who can cover his position, so they're letting him go somewhere he can continue his career and make money, instead of being stuck in career purgatory at the Suns.

Not sure if serious. If you are, doesn’t explain the voting in suns b&f. They couldn’t be more blatent in what they think about him than that.

Are the Suns the new benchmark in best practice decision making in your view?

Why are you so excited about their prospects?

Me, excited about the Suns???

You must have me mistaken for someone else. I think they are a basketcase and I think they are going about everything the wrong way.

Lyons is the least of their problems. They shouldn’t have let May go until next year. The argument seems to be they don’t want people there who don’t want to be there. Perhaps this covers Lyons as well now. But it’s just not a sustainable argument with the suns. Are they going to let Rankine and Luko walk in 2 years when they say they don’t want to be there either. I don’t think so. Therefore I am calling bullshit now.

If they don’t take both the King brothers this year then imo they are getting the basics of list management wrong and will get no sympathy from me down the line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back