Good luck Jarryd Lyons

Remove this Banner Ad

Clearly the suns and JL are not on the same page, that much is clear

Brisbane, who induced him to ask GC to release him, couldn’t be more blatant in what they think about him either

Lyons is an ok player and it’s laughable that a club like suns think they can pick and choose. Here is a guy that was happy to join this basketcase club and he more than lived up to whatever they could have hoped for.

But let’s not get carried away about what Lyons is in the grand scheme of the AFL. He is exactly as described (I think by Brisbane). He is a cog in the machine. Decent enough cog, but he isn’t influencing wins and losses and who plays finals.

We got a s**t deal for him, but he isn’t best 22 at our club. If we are having to play him or CEY, they are at best just trying to hold their own and let our better players get us the wins.

Like Neeld at Melbourne. Let's just say the jury is out on Dew. We had a low 2 year contract in front of Jarryd then GC, pre Dew offered him 3 at more. Brisbane have now offered a further 2 years. Evidence thus far points to Dew having made a bit of a mistake. Time will tell though.
I still endorse a preseason camp at Sizzlers.

Lyons is an ok player and it’s laughable that a club like suns think they can pick and choose. Here is a guy that was happy to join this basketcase club and he more than lived up to whatever they could have hoped for.

But let’s not get carried away about what Lyons is in the grand scheme of the AFL. He is exactly as described (I think by Brisbane). He is a cog in the machine. Decent enough cog, but he isn’t influencing wins and losses and who plays finals.

We got a s**t deal for him, but he isn’t best 22 at our club. If we are having to play him or CEY, they are at best just trying to hold their own and let our better players get us the wins.
Didn't we get the pick we used for McPherson and another for Lyons?

It's way too early to call if that was a poor trade. But I wouldn't swap McPherson for Lyons now as McPherson showed real promise at the back end of this year and as long as he gets his body right, he stands a fair chance of being best 22. He seems highly rated by the club.

Lyons was depth for us.

So whilst McPherson may never play a game for us, who knows, I'm comfortable with the trade.

It's way too early to call if that was a poor trade. But I wouldn't swap McPherson for Lyons now as McPherson showed real promise at the back end of this year and as long as he gets his body right, he stands a fair chance of being best 22. He seems highly rated by the club.

Lyons was depth for us.

So whilst McPherson may never play a game for us, who knows, I'm comfortable with the trade.
I feel like McPherson is some sort of enigma.

I've never read anything negative about the guy but have no idea how he plays and what he does.

Poholke has removed any confidence i have in the club in extending contracts of players who don't play an AFL game.

Why is he rated? He's not the next CEY or Matthew Smith is he?

Lyons was depth for us.

I suppose he is only worth what somebody is willing to pay for him. Gold Coast may have been the highest or only bidder. Brisbane didn’t even give up a junk pick for him, which is the thing that is hard to process in all of this.

So in summary, both suns and Brisbane (clubs without TPP pressure) were willing to give him 3 years but not willing to give up much in terms of draft picks. Guess everyone can have their own interpretation of what that means.

I suppose he is only worth what somebody is willing to pay for him. Gold Coast may have been the highest or only bidder. Brisbane didn’t even give up a junk pick for him, which is the thing that is hard to process in all of this.

So in summary, both suns and Brisbane (clubs without TPP pressure) were willing to give him 3 years but not willing to give up much in terms of draft picks. Guess everyone can have their own interpretation of what that means.

Caro said on AA that even with Lynch going the Suns had serious cap pressure. Complete shambles over the last couple of years.

Just thought I'd skim through the article and see who was our representative in this puff piece and whether any of recent departures made the list.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-11/liked-the-look-who-impressed-for-your-club-in-jlt2

ADEL-header.png

Chayce Jones
Adelaide's first-round draft choice is putting pressure on Don Pyke and his coaching staff to pick him for round one. Jones didn't win a pile of the ball against the Giants – just nine touches. But his intent around the contest was at a high level. Although he projects as a midfielder the longer his career goes, Jones is set to make his mark as a pressure forward early in his career. That could come as soon as a first-up contest against Hawthorn in front of an adoring Adelaide Oval crowd. - Ben Guthrie

BL-header.png

Jarryd Lyons
The Lions were delighted to acquire Lyons at the end of last season when Gold Coast let him go with a year to go on his contract. The 26-year-old had forged a solid track record as a hard-nosed clearance winner over seven seasons with Adelaide and the Suns, but showed he has more strings to his bow in the Lions' win over Melbourne on Saturday, kicking four goals as he spent extended time in attack. Brisbane coach Chris Fagan said after the match Lyons was a more capable goalkicker than most people realised, which suggests he could be regularly deployed inside the Lions' forward 50m arc this season. As Fagan noted: "It's good if you've got midfielders who can go forward and be dangerous." - Nick Bowen

Jarryd Lyons
The Lions were delighted to acquire Lyons at the end of last season when Gold Coast let him go with a year to go on his contract. The 26-year-old had forged a solid track record as a hard-nosed clearance winner over seven seasons with Adelaide and the Suns, but showed he has more strings to his bow in the Lions' win over Melbourne on Saturday, kicking four goals as he spent extended time in attack. Brisbane coach Chris Fagan said after the match Lyons was a more capable goalkicker than most people realised, which suggests he could be regularly deployed inside the Lions' forward 50m arc this season. As Fagan noted: "It's good if you've got midfielders who can go forward and be dangerous." - Nick Bowen

We knew he was a quality goal kicker :D

Just thought I'd skim through the article and see who was our representative in this puff piece and whether any of recent departures made the list.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-11/liked-the-look-who-impressed-for-your-club-in-jlt2

Jarryd Lyons
Forgot Lyons went to Brisbane. He was doing well at Gold Coast, and good to see him doing even better now at Brisbane.
Supposedly they were doing s**t like immediately giving their first round picks $400K-$500K deals to sign on for a few more years.
That's probably what Luko/Rankine will be offered this year to extend.

Forgot Lyons went to Brisbane. He was doing well at Gold Coast, and good to see him doing even better now at Brisbane.
That's probably what Luko/Rankine will be offered this year to extend.

Hopefully there's not enough space left in the cap for that. And by the end of this year we should have the Mackay / Otten warchest to throw at them :drunk:

Close to BoG again.

Shocking list management.

Nope. Just a player who had no future at one club, excelling at another, which is firmly in the "good for him" basket. It's only shocking list management if you believe he'd replace Matt Crouch. If not, then both parties were better off without each other.

Otherwise, you're making a midfield line (or forward line which is much, much worse) too slow, and too same in inside stocks, something which will inevitably cripple a side. If you're going to go slow with your inside players (hard to avoid admittedly), you need to at least have one player be genuinely big to have that point of difference.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Close to BoG again.

Now that is utter bullshit on this occasion, I watched the Brisbane game game from start to finish with my interest in the local lads Jarrod Berry and Hughey McCluggage, Lyons would not have been in Brisbane's top 5 players on the day, would struggle to be in their top 10 on the day. Lyons had a good steady game like most of the Lions players but close to B.O.G. yesterday no way Jose.

https://outline.com/e72r56

BEST
Lions:
McCluggage, Berry, Neale, Mathieson, Cameron, McCarthy
Eagles: Sheed, Shuey, Barrass, Hurn, Sheppard.

The Lions won the footy on the inside and outworked the visitors on the outside, although the heat and 80 per cent humidity may have assisted them, and their pressure, especially in the forward half, was really good.

The proof of the merging depth at Brisbane was that young midfielders Hugh McCluggage, Jarrod Berry and Rhys Mathieson slightly outshone older heads Lachie Neale, Jarryd Lyons and Dayne Zorko.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...-mauled-in-the-lions-den-20190323-p516yh.html

GOALS – Brisbane Lions: McCarthy 4 Cameron 3 Rayner 2 Mathieson, McCluggage, Neale, Bastinac, Rich, Zorko.
West Coast: Allen 2 Darling 2 Ryan, Sheed, Yeo, Venables.
BEST – Brisbane Lions: McCluggage, Cameron, Neale, Berry, Andrews McCarthy.
West Coast: Sheed, Yeo, Shuey, Hurn, Ryan, Redden.

VOTES
H McCluggage (Brisbane) 8
D Sheed (West Coast) 7
L Neale (Brisbane) 7
C Cameron (Brisbane) 7
J Berry (Brisbane) 7

https://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2019/1/bl-v-wce

BRISBANE 1.5 8.6 11.10 15.12 (102)
WEST COAST 6.2 7.5 7.5 8.10 (58)

GOALS
Brisbane:
McCarthy 4, Cameron 3, Rayner 2, Neale, Mathieson, McCluggage, Bastinac, Rich, Zorko
West Coast: Allen 2, Darling 2, Sheed, Yeo, Ryan, Venables

BEST
Brisbane:
McCluggage, Berry, Neale, McCarthy, Mathieson, Cameron
West Coast: Sheed, Shuey, Barrass, Yeo

Nope. Just a player who had no future at one club, excelling at another, which is firmly in the "good for him" basket. It's only shocking list management if you believe he'd replace Matt Crouch. If not, then both parties were better off without each other.

Otherwise, you're making a midfield line (or forward line which is much, much worse) too slow, and too same in inside stocks, something which will inevitably cripple a side. If you're going to go slow with your inside players (hard to avoid admittedly), you need to at least have one player be genuinely big to have that point of difference.
If anyone dosnt think he is more valuable to any team over Polk then you have rocks in your head.

Close to BoG again.

Nope shocking list management.

All I can say is some bloke got 26 disposals in a winning side versus the reigning premiers, and some team with supposed talent on every line that couldn’t fit that bloke in, got pantsed at home versus last year’s what 10th ranked side.

So either our list management is shocking and we’re so far ahead of ourselves we can see our arses, or the bloke that’s somewhere else is a smart cookie

Last edited:

All I can say is some bloke got 26 disposals in a winning side versus the reigning premiers, and some team with supposed talent on every line that couldn’t fit that bloke in, got pantsed at home versus last year’s what 10th ranked side.

So either our list management is shocking and we’re so far ahead of ourselves we can see our arses, or the bloke that’s somewhere else is a smart cookie
If he was on our list he would be playing in the SANFL with CEY.

Greenwood and M Crouch are our preferred inside mids.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

He plays a reasonably specialized role. Our depth here is M Crouch, Greenwood, CEY. Didnt we offer Lyons a one year contract to stay on as depth.

An average to decent inside mid should get around 25 possies a game as they are at just about every contest.

The great ones get 30 plus, ie Matt Crouch.

Anyone here rather Lyons over Greenwood? We are a slow moving team now. Imagine if we played another inside mid.

It would be bad list management to keep him languishing in the SANFL when we have CEY there.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I don't know how long people are going to keep going with this bullshit but essentially it came down to Matt Crouch or Jarryd Lyons and the list management opted for Matt, rightly so IMO. Both lads are inside mids, both lack a touch of pace, both can win the hard ball, Crouch definitely spreads better from the contest as is shown by the amount of uncontested possessions he regularly racks up. Crouch has the superior DE% across their careers amplified by the weekends football Crouch 40 disposals @77.5%, 2 Clangers - Lyons 26 disposals @ 53.8% 5 clangers. Now I don't have access to the players G.P.S. numbers but our coaching staff do and I'd be very surprised if Crouch wasn't superior to Lyons in the amount of ground they cover off the ball match day.....This was Stewie Dew's problem with Lyons game so I'd say it's a fair chance our coaching staff may have had issues along those lines.

Surely Crows followers can see list management over the last few years with our drafting has had an emphasis on speed and endurance to slightly lesser degree, all of Jones, McHenry, Hamill and Butts have good speed and endurance from the last draft, then you have the likes of Milera, Gallucci, Doedee, Poholke, McPherson, Signorello, Davis....no slow coaches there. KPP players Fogarty and Himmelberg probably the only 2 exceptions. Personally I suspect if it wasn't for the bad PR it would have garnered we would likely not given rookie spots to Edwards and Jarman because both were quite pedestrian pace wise and not too flash endurance wise....no real surprise we moved both on.

He is a direct and obvious improvement over Douglas.

Surprised Greenwood was left out...wouldn't he be a similar but arguably better player than both Douglas and Lyons?

Not a bad list management decision by Adelaide, you have plenty of Lyons' type.
Definitely a bad decision by Gold Coast though...can't believe they gave him away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back