Good luck Jarryd Lyons

Remove this Banner Ad

I think because we don’t have access to top draft picks and struggle to find any better players who want to come to SA

So we have to get who we can - a fringe small forward from Richmond who is from SA initially and a kid with x-factor who’s been playing in the SANFL under one of our assistant coaches

Thats OK but that focuses on our ability to attract players what I am on about is the fact that if we trade for a player its because he will improve our side. If that player is not what we want then we shouldn't bother trading for him. With McAdam and Stengle we are treating them more like they are drafted players and we are working on making them an AFL but because we traded these two guys they should already be up to AFL standard.

Thats OK but that focuses on our ability to attract players what I am on about is the fact that if we trade for a player its because he will improve our side. If that player is not what we want then we shouldn't bother trading for him. With McAdam and Stengle we are treating them more like they are drafted players and we are working on making them an AFL but because we traded these two guys they should already be up to AFL standard.
Both were AFL standard talent wise, their fitness base however was not.

Nah, you’re still wrong.

Lyons hits the scoreboard and works inside out

Giving him away was a massive fubar, just like with Hendo

I tend to agree, but surely it was a much bigger fubar for GC to give him the boot? They clearly need more experienced players, and transferring his last Brisbane performance to GC's would have improved them a good deal. He is certainly dogged and gets a lot of it (but he does tend to do a Thommo, kicking everything at right angles, mostly to the oppo).

Had a breakout year in 16, then was offered a similar contract to the last. On form would have been first 22 17-19. Generally footballers get increases based on performance.

TAFKATMS confirmed we offered him $185k per year, and stated that this was what Lyons told him directly

Just got a big contract offer from Brisbane to break his contract with GCS which he took

I tend to agree, but surely it was a much bigger fubar for GC to give him the boot? They clearly need more experienced players, and transferring his last Brisbane performance to GC's would have improved them a good deal. He is certainly dogged and gets a lot of it (but he does tend to do a Thommo, kicking everything at right angles, mostly to the oppo).

GC didn’t give him the boot. Brisbane offered him a 3 year deal on good money, so he went and asked to be released

Which they did.

Both were AFL standard talent wise, their fitness base however was not.
So I assume that the club knew this when they took the two of them. which would basically mean we traded for two players put them on our senior list knowing they wouldn't be ready to play this year. Maybe thats harsh but it certainly looks that way.

Nah, you’re still wrong.

Lyons hits the scoreboard and works inside out

Giving him away was a massive fubar, just like with Hendo
He was in direct competition with CEY as I recall. If we persisted with Lyons, we might had seen less of CEY and might have delisted CEY as they are sort of similar players.

To me, I don’t think we wanted to trade Lyons. More the fact he wanted a more guaranteed spot in regular 22 with a better wage. We just couldn’t comply with those guarantees.

Don’t have a major problem with our decision to trade Lyons out but we should have got more for him...and ditto for Henderson. A couple of mid to late 2nds for them would have been our stockpile of draft picks - every little bit counts. Hope we don’t repeat the mistake with Greenwood and/or Kelly.

He was in direct competition with CEY as I recall. If we persisted with Lyons, we might had seen less of CEY and might have delisted CEY as they are sort of similar players.

To me, I don’t think we wanted to trade Lyons. More the fact he wanted a more guaranteed spot in regular 22 with a better wage. We just couldn’t comply with those guarantees.

I would have thought someone like Douglas was a more likely competitor.

So I assume that the club knew this when they took the two of them. which would basically mean we traded for two players put them on our senior list knowing they wouldn't be ready to play this year. Maybe thats harsh but it certainly looks that way.

I don't see how this is a major issue. Talent is talent, and often hard to come by, if you have the opportunity to bring talent in, even if it takes a year or 2 to get up to scratch.

I don't see how this is a major issue. Talent is talent, and often hard to come by, if you have the opportunity to bring talent in, even if it takes a year or 2 to get up to scratch.

I respect your point but I just see what we did with the trades is also reflected with our drafts. For some reason we seem to pick players for the future but we also need to pick players for the now. I just see players that we could have taken, getting game time yet whilst we gave Jones some games earlier we havent really exposed anyone else (Stengle last week). Look at J Clark at Geelong. X Duursma at the power and lets face it after our 1028 season we needed to add some fresh blood.

I respect your point but I just see what we did with the trades is also reflected with our drafts. For some reason we seem to pick players for the future but we also need to pick players for the now. I just see players that we could have taken, getting game time yet whilst we gave Jones some games earlier we havent really exposed anyone else (Stengle last week). Look at J Clark at Geelong. X Duursma at the power and lets face it after our 1028 season we needed to add some fresh blood.

There's no assurances these guys would have been getting games at the Crows either and are they really improving our side that much? Duursma is likely fighting with Smith, Seedsman, Atkins, Milera, Mackay, Knight and Gibbs for a spot, J Clark similar. Would we actually give them the opportunity their current clubs have afforded them ahead of the afore mentioned players. Would Jones have been given more opportunities at Port? We're a club, rightly or wrongly, that tends to make young players earn their stripes, and when they do get a spot, its very much a fringe type role where they'll struggle to genuinely impress.

I don't disagree that we need to bring in some fresh blood, I think the side/squad has become stale and I think there's some mental scarring/demons there from the whole 2014-2018 period culminating in the GF loss and infamous training camp. The issue is as much the coaching staff though as it is talent identification.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could never really understand giving him away for peanuts. And then Gold Coast bizarrely did the same despite their desperate need for senior players.

Conspiracy theorist in me says there's possibly more to it than just his footballing ability which, apart from a lack of pace (which many of our current players suffer from), is not in question.

Could never really understand giving him away for peanuts. And then Gold Coast bizarrely did the same despite their desperate need for senior players.

Conspiracy theorist in me says there's possibly more to it than just his footballing ability which, apart from a lack of pace (which many of our current players suffer from), is not in question.
Michael Whiting looks at the reasons behind Gold Coast's decision to move Jarryd Lyons to Queensland rival Brisbane
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-07-17/why-the-suns-sent-their-best-ballwinner-to-their-bitter-rivals

WTF. Why was Jarryd Lyons (A current rival player) on the Crows Show today during the past players segment? He was talking about his time in Adelaide and then proceeded to discuss how well he is going at Brisbane. After the segment when the interview finished with Lyons, Bickley goes on to say, "He certainly learnt from the best here in Adelaide". SMH.

WTF. Why was Jarryd Lyons (A current rival player) on the Crows Show today during the past players segment? He was talking about his time in Adelaide and then proceeded to discuss how well he is going at Brisbane. After the segment when the interview finished with Lyons, Bickley goes on to say, "He certainly learnt from the best here in Adelaide". SMH.
They would have filmed it when he was in Adelaide a few weeks ago to play the Power. They do that sometimes when former players come into town. They've featured Brisbane a few times in various things, they've had Zorko on before too.

They would have filmed it when he was in Adelaide a few weeks ago to play the Power. They do that sometimes when former players come into town. They've featured Brisbane a few times in various things, they've had Zorko on before too.
I got no problems with former crows players being on it. However, I find it really odd having a current rival player who is doing really well for a top 2 side on the show who we let go for a packet of chips.

Michael Whiting looks at the reasons behind Gold Coast's decision to move Jarryd Lyons to Queensland rival Brisbane
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-07-17/why-the-suns-sent-their-best-ballwinner-to-their-bitter-rivals
Isnt quite accurate. Lyons and Dew fell out. Its one thing to go on demanding high standards from your players, but you yourself are fat, lazy and have poor standardsof your own. Dew put himself offside with alot of players. Read my post about it last year in the Rumours board. I said their would be an exodus because of Dew and there was. He has had to change his attitude this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back