Good luck Jarryd Lyons

Remove this Banner Ad

Lyons treatment by us was astonishing. Years of investing and development, then in 2016 we get 20 games and almost 22 disp a game.

Then we offer him what amounted to a rookie contract?

GC weren’t much better. Almost 25 poss in both his years there.

Both let him go for chips.

Symptomatic of our reluctance to cater for anyone else but the chosen 15-18 players that have been clogging our list for 4-5 years.

I'll also note those 22 disposals were as our very last selected midfielder. So all our setups and plays had him in the least impactful position by default.

If we'd actually given him more responsibility and time at center bounces etc I strongly believe he would have stepped up.

How can you talk about the players he was fighting for a spot with and not the guy we brought in to replace him in Gibbs?
And Lyons could have replaced Douglas at worse on the half forward flank. He’s a better forward, better mark and has a knack for kicking goals. Plus he could have had rotations in the middle.
At least with Gibbs they were trying to address the need for creativity and pace in the middle. Although I personally suspect getting Gibbs had more to do with the "Old Boys Network" (Justin Reid was his player manager) getting Ross Gibbs son home to intervene in his gambling habit.

You have said more than once Lyons should have replaced Douglas. They are completely different players. Gibbs should be an upgrade on Douglas. And in an ideal world that would be Charlie Cameron. Attacking mid should be Camerons long term role. Not small forward. He is Zorko 2.0

We all know how slow and predictable our midfield is. Lyons compounds that issue.

The choice was MCrouch, CEY, Greenwood or Lyons. Didnt we also give shorter term contracts to CEY and Greenwood. CEY was put on the Rookie List.

Lyons backed himself in for a better contract at another club. Good on him. He has gone to two clubs that don't have a glut of similar mids.

I will concede that in hindsight the club made the wrong call. We should have gone Lyons ahead of Greenwood or CEY.

Dont get me wrong. I don't think our midfield is so great we dont hed Lyons. It is one of the worst in the league. But our issue is lack of tackle pressure (Lyons is ok at this) and a massive lack of pace and playmaking creativity. Which Lyons does not provide.

All of our mids are workman. As is Lyons. We need the polish

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Good on him.

Took three clubs and and a dam good coach to get the best out of him.

I doubt anyone here would have picked him ahead of MCrouch when we.gave him a one year deal and he looked elsewhere.

He would never have been this good with us and without being rejected by two clubs to motivate him.

Rubbish, his 2016 was very, very good consider8ng he played out of the half forward graveyard. Barely able to get into the midfield because we carried a cooked Thommo for 3/4 of the year. Just admit you and a few of your mates got it very wrong. Here’s a tip, just because our coaches don’t rate a player doesn’t mean they’re no good. A heap of us saw it, as we did with Hendo. But many of you backed the coaches views to the hilt. And here we are, Mackay and Dougie in our side and Lyons doing what good judges knew he’d be doing. Just at the wrong club.

If we’d paid him Thommo’s $200k over the 3 year offer he’d have stayed. Forget Gibbs, keeping Thommo is what cost us 3 years of Lyons.

Adelaide is a great Club for players over 30 who are cooked.

Its a Club I would play for now today if given a choice. :drunk:

Every time he shows himself you come up with a new condition to downplay his performances.

Let’s look at the 2 clubs that didn’t value him:

Us - enough said
Gold Coast - enough said

And “to motivate him”. That’s a pretty s**t comment. Even when repeatedly sub for us he kept presenting. We gave him one year of decent game time and he did well.

Last year at the Gold Coast he carried a leg injury and Gold Coast are a basket case.

We moved him on because we needed to make room for Gibbs which has proven to be a massive utensil up from a club that’s making lots of s**t decisions.

Thommo, we moved him on to give Thommo his 1 putrid game gold watch year. The investment in the sham coaching role certainly paid off. Thommo’s money added to Lyons contract offer would have kept him here.

Rubbish, his 2016 was very, very good consider8ng he played out of the half forward graveyard. Barely able to get into the midfield because we carried a cooked Thommo for 3/4 of the year. Just admit you and a few of your mates got it very wrong. Here’s a tip, just because our coaches don’t rate a player doesn’t mean they’re no good. A heap of us saw it, as we did with Hendo. But many of you backed the coaches views to the hilt. And here we are, Mackay and Dougie in our side and Lyons doing what good judges knew he’d be doing. Just at the wrong club.
Is he better than MCrouch and Sloaney.

He is better than CEY and Greenwood.

Having five one paced mids is the reason our midfield is so poor. Sloaney and MCrouch being the first choice.

I will say I was wrong in rating his ability, but he us not the right player for us to be better than we are.

As you say he was stuck on the HF graveyard. Some people suggesting he could take Dougies role. Yet Dougie 0lays that attacking mid/HF ok.

Lyons didnt.

Ye
Maybe it was a mistake for our club to favour MCrouch, CEY and Greenwood ahead of Lyons. That was the decision. He was not in the same depth chart as Mackay and Douglas.

Right now you would take Lyons ahead of CEY and Greenwood.

But back then?

The club did offer him a one year deal. He got a better one else where.

We all complain about our midfield being one paced. He was another one of our one paced midfielders. We can not carry too many of them. We have too many as it is.

In any case a player like Lyons is not our current midfield issue. We lack explosive pace, hardness and creativity at an elite level. This is why any decent midfield kills us.This is not him. Charlie Cameron as a mid is what we need right now. Or a similar player type.

Back then many of us said it was a mistake. And you’re so wrong about his value as a mid to us. I posted then and I’ll post it again for the slow ones. Jarryd is one of the only mids that we’ve had that can exit a stoppage on foot heading at goal and past the pressure area. You must love our pressured hacks forward.

So we can finally put this debate to rest. Those in the anti-Lyons group were firmly in the wrong about him. I want to specifically call out Vader who never once had anything nice to say about the bloke and now seems to be hiding from any Lyons related discussion.

The funny thing about Vader was that he actually posted that the green vest was the making of Lyons. But like a few others, he judged the quality of a player only by the actions of our selectors. That’s why these people continued to push the notion that David Mackay must be a quality footballer.

Disagree, he was a good depth inside midfielder and did a good job when he had the chance but M.Crouch went passed him and went on to become an AA player a few years later (so that was the correct decision by the club at that time) and with the list profile, he had to explore another club and to his credit has developed himself into a very good inside midfielder. Was he better than Douglas in 2016, no, and if he had stayed, he couldn't have taken Douglas spot in those 2 years and wouldn't have developed into the player he has become with regular games in the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we’d paid him Thommo’s $200k over the 3 year offer he’d have stayed. Forget Gibbs, keeping Thommo is what cost us 3 years of Lyons.

This 100%

The funny thing about Vader was that he actually posted that the green vest was the making of Lyons. But like a few others, he judged the quality of a player only by the actions of our selectors. That’s why these people continued to push the notion that David Mackay must be a quality footballer.
Mackay has no business being on our list.

The fact one of our few attacking players is Mackay is a massive problem for us.

You are right. Lyons is good out of a stoppage. Is he better than MCrouch and Sloaney?

Could he, MCrouch and Sloney be in the same team? I say no. All are the same size and skillset. Sloaney the best of the three. All three are very good vanilla workman.

And those kind of players without an elite playmaking mid is our biggest problem.

The was the decision to make. Right now you could probably say he is better than MCrouch.

But would anyone here put him ahead of those two when the decision to offer Lyons a one year deal was made.

CEY and Greenwood offer a point of difference being size and capacity to split a stoppage and provide blocks with force.

I reckon I could easily name a player from every team we fielded since we ditched Lyons that I'd have played Lyons instead of comfortably.

2017:
R1-5: Riley Knight
R6-9: Curtly Hampton
R10-11: Richard Douglas
R12-GF: Riley Knight

2018:
R1: Richard Douglas
R2: David Mackay
R3-16: Richard Douglas
R17-23: Riley Knight

2019:
R1: Richard Douglas
R2-8: Riley Knight
R9-11: Lachie Murphy
R12-16: Richard Douglas
R17-19: Riley Knight
R20-21: Richard Douglas

Done

Thompson was very good for us in 2016, who would have thought of the 2017 drop off the cliff......

Everyone who was paying attention noticed he was cooked half way through 2016, if not earlier

Thompson was very good for us in 2016, who would have thought of the 2017 drop off the cliff......

He was struggling to get 20 possessions a game in 2016. Should have been dropped and replaced with CEY prior to the finals.

He was a very good developing player in those first 2 years hampered by the green vest. How much football he missed because he was stranded on the bench for three out four quarters.
He played 3 games in his first 2 years, 2 of which had him wearing the dreaded 'green vest'.

In the other 44 (Forty Four) he was not selected at all.

His deference towards the selectors is my only criticism. I know his argument is generally that people inside the club always know better than supporters who are mostly armchair experts. I just don't see any consideration for the fact that coaches are human beings, with their own biases, and they sometimes make terrible mistakes despite being more informed than any supporter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back