Good luck Jarryd Lyons

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
There seems to be a persistent myth about Lyons being "let go" by Adelaide.......that didnt happen. He was offered a contract as a required player after a much improved season following the demise of that bloody ridiculous green vest! Anyone remember that one????

Yeah that’s not quite right

According to TAFKATMS Lyons himself said he was offered a $185,000 derisory offer

He was absolutely and categorically not offered a required player contract, he was humiliated and offended

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Thompson was very good for us in 2016, who would have thought of the 2017 drop off the cliff......

You must have stopped watching after round 6. He was a complete liability for 2/3s of the season. 85% TOG all in the midfield to average just over 20 touches is woeful. No midfielder would be carried like Thommo was. 2017 was fully expected which is why he was re-contracted so late in his sham coaching role.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
At least with Gibbs they were trying to address the need for creativity and pace in the middle. Although I personally suspect getting Gibbs had more to do with the "Old Boys Network" (Justin Reid was his player manager) getting Ross Gibbs son home to intervene in his gambling habit.

You have said more than once Lyons should have replaced Douglas. They are completely different players. Gibbs should be an upgrade on Douglas. And in an ideal world that would be Charlie Cameron. Attacking mid should be Camerons long term role. Not small forward. He is Zorko 2.0

We all know how slow and predictable our midfield is. Lyons compounds that issue.

The choice was MCrouch, CEY, Greenwood or Lyons. Didnt we also give shorter term contracts to CEY and Greenwood. CEY was put on the Rookie List.

Lyons backed himself in for a better contract at another club. Good on him. He has gone to two clubs that don't have a glut of similar mids.

I will concede that in hindsight the club made the wrong call. We should have gone Lyons ahead of Greenwood or CEY.

Dont get me wrong. I don't think our midfield is so great we dont hed Lyons. It is one of the worst in the league. But our issue is lack of tackle pressure (Lyons is ok at this) and a massive lack of pace and playmaking creativity. Which Lyons does not provide.

All of our mids are workman. As is Lyons. We need the polish

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Lyons is a better forward than Douglas. He’s a better midfielder than Douglas.

If you think Lyons couldn’t play that half forward mid role better than Douglas then I don’t know what to tell you.

Also one is done playing his last year. The other has years left.

Have you backed away from your bullshit motivation post?

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
At least with Gibbs they were trying to address the need for creativity and pace in the middle. Although I personally suspect getting Gibbs had more to do with the "Old Boys Network" (Justin Reid was his player manager) getting Ross Gibbs son home to intervene in his gambling habit.

You have said more than once Lyons should have replaced Douglas. They are completely different players. Gibbs should be an upgrade on Douglas. And in an ideal world that would be Charlie Cameron. Attacking mid should be Camerons long term role. Not small forward. He is Zorko 2.0

We all know how slow and predictable our midfield is. Lyons compounds that issue.

The choice was MCrouch, CEY, Greenwood or Lyons. Didnt we also give shorter term contracts to CEY and Greenwood. CEY was put on the Rookie List.

Lyons backed himself in for a better contract at another club. Good on him. He has gone to two clubs that don't have a glut of similar mids.

I will concede that in hindsight the club made the wrong call. We should have gone Lyons ahead of Greenwood or CEY.

Dont get me wrong. I don't think our midfield is so great we dont hed Lyons. It is one of the worst in the league. But our issue is lack of tackle pressure (Lyons is ok at this) and a massive lack of pace and playmaking creativity. Which Lyons does not provide.

All of our mids are workman. As is Lyons. We need the polish

are you just making s**t up now? Gibbs has no significant pace and is hardly known for his creativity.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
Matt Crouch had almost as good a game yesterday against the equal top side.

That was the choice that was made. M Crouch and Sloaney over Lyons.....

Anyone brave enough to suggest Lyons should have been preferred over those two?

Or maybe we should have shoe horned Lyons into an attacking mid, instead of Dougie. The role he played as a sub and was not suited to it.

He is doing well now, and I admit I under rated his skillset before, because he is playing his natural role as a second inside accumulative mid with Neale.

That would not have happened here. Unless you favour him over Sloaney or MCrouch.

He is playing a similar role to what Sloaney plays for us

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

Or maybe we should have shoe horned Lyons into an attacking mid, instead of Dougie. The role he played as a sub and was not suited to it.

He is doing well now, and I admit I under rated his skillset before, because he is playing his natural role as a second inside accumulative mid with Neale.

That would not have happened here. Unless you favour him over Sloaney or MCrouch.

More baloney.

“The role he played as a sub and was not suited to”

He actually played that role well.

And you are discounting one thing, we played Matt, Sloane and Lyons together but we went for Gibbs which has turned out to be a costly disaster.

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide

Can you compare Douglas goals and meters gained, to Lyons?

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Can you compare Douglas goals and meters gained, to Lyons?
Nope.

But I remember when Lyons was sub for us and his role was to be an attacking mid/HF and he struggled.

Lyons may well be better at that role than Dougie. But that is a low bar.

He is a far better inside mid, who can kick a goal, than us shoehorning him into an attacking mid/HF.

They are different roles.

I may have underestimated his ability. But he really is too similar a player to Sloaney and MCrouch for us to have on our list. Especially when you consider how good he has become playing his more natural role. Something that would never happen here.

We dont need another inside mid. We need good to elite outside players. That cupboard is virtually bare, Milera the only possible candidate IMO.

Unless someone wants to suggest he is overall a better player than Sloaney and M Crouch.

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
But I remember when Lyons was sub for us and his role was to be an attacking mid/HF and he struggled.

Do you remember when he would come on at three-quarter time and get thrown in when everyone else had a feel for the game?

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
More baloney.

“The role he played as a sub and was not suited to”

He actually played that role well.

And you are discounting one thing, we played Matt, Sloane and Lyons together but we went for Gibbs which has turned out to be a costly disaster.
Yep Gibbs is a disaster. He was a creative and attacking player at a terrible club. That has not translated for us.

It is funny how so many of you guys cry out about how slow and predictable our midfield is and yet lament Lyons not being here.

Brisbane have a far better inside/outside mix than us with far better outside mids. That is why Lyons is doing well there.

Slaoney, MCrouch plus Lyons is a terrible mix.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yep Gibbs is a disaster. He was a creative and attacking player at a terrible club. That has not translated for us.

It is funny how so many of you guys cry out about how slow and predictable our midfield is and yet lament Lyons not being here.

Brisbane have a far better inside/outside mix than us with far better outside mids. That is why Lyons is doing well there.

What’s funny is how you keep making up new criteria for him when he plays well

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

Rubbish it had to be a choice. There was no demand that they had to let one go. All the club did was replace him with a player with less talent who played the same position as him in Polk. Trying to frame it as "the club had to choose between Matt Crouch, Sloane or Lyons" is so disingenuous.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Rubbish it had to be a choice. There was no demand that they had to let one go. All the club did was replace him with a player with less talent who played the same position as him in Polk. Trying to frame it as "the club had to choose between Matt Crouch, Sloane or Lyons" is so disingenuous.
I think there's every chance Myles Poholke actually turns out to be a very decent footballer going on his very noticeable improvement in the SANFL this season especially in the areas of his game he'd previously struggled in, notably his composure under pressure and decision making in particular.

Bit early to be writing off a 21 year old.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

We also played Richard Douglas. How'd he go? How valuable was Thommo in 2017? Yeh, yeh, mentor, coach blah, blah, blah.

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think there's every chance Myles Poholke actually turns out to be a very decent footballer going on his very noticeable improvement in the SANFL this season especially in the areas of his game he'd previously struggled in, notably his composure under pressure and decision making in particular.

Bit early to be writing off a 21 year old.

I don't agree but in 2020 (if he's still contracted) he deserves a good crack at it.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide

You know that due to rotations you need more than 2 inside mids in a side right?

If our outside players are s**t wouldn't it make sense to get rid of Mackay instead?

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Pretty sure Lyons had Mackay covered on meters gained as well - which I would consider the key stat for a winger/outside mid type.

meters gained is one of those stats that Mackay has learned to manipulate extremely well, that's why he does the safe kick down the line to a marking contest.

Pretty sure Lyons had Mackay covered on meters gained as well - which I would consider the key stat for a winger/outside mid type.

Lyons (2016) - 329 meters gained on average
Mackay (2015-2019) - 318 meters gained on average

:$

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Yep let's replace Mackay and Dougie with Lyons.

Hey, Eddie can jump a bit.....maybe he can Ruck too.

To me our issue in the middle is lack of a genuine elite playmaker. Most good sides have two. Sloaney, Crouchs and everyone else we have are not that. Neither is Lyons.

As I said earlier, Brisbane's midfield and overall team success is not due to playing Lyons in his natural role (the role Sloane plays for us), but the overall quality and balance of their midfield.

Replacing Mackay or Douglas for Lyons adds little value.

But replacing Atkins Gibbs, Dougie or even B Crouch (the mids we have who are our playmakers, sad isn't it) with a genuine elite playmaking mid would make us a competitive side again.

I am hoping Milera becomes that. But that is becoming shaky.

When you look at who our attacking/playmaking mids are, and compare them to what other clubs have, you see why our midfield is one of the worst (the worst) in the league.

I am hoping Milera becomes that elite playmaker. By that is becoming shaky.

Going forward we need to surround the Crouch's with that quality mid. This Carlton pick must be used for that.

Oh and teaching most of our list to stick a tackle.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Yep let's replace Mackay and Dougie with Lyons.

Hey, Eddie can jump a bit.....maybe he can Ruck too.

To me our issue in the middle is lack of a genuine elite playmaker. Most good sides have two. Sloaney, Crouchs and everyone else we have are not that. Neither is Lyons.

As I said earlier, Brisbane's midfield and overall team suggest is not due to playing Lyons in his natural role (the role Sloane plays for us), but the overall quality and balance of their midfield.

Replacing Mackay or Douglas for Lyons adds little value.

But replacing Atkins Gibbs, Dougie or even B Crouch (the mids we have who are our playmakers, and isn't it) with a genuine elite playmaking mid would make us a competitive side again.

I am hoping Milera becomes that. By that is becoming shaky.

Oh and teaching most of our list to stick a tackle.

And that's why it's so disappointing we don't look like we'll be getting a look at the player in this draft that can most likely deliver exactly that....that player is Noah Anderson of course. Outside of Anderson the two players in this draft that most likely can bring that Lachie Ash and Hayden Young have played the bulk of their footy across half back up to now though since the Championships both have spent time in the midfield and have looked good.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I am more upset at our inability to draft decent midfield talent in recent years.

I hope I am wrong, but I really cant see Gooch or Jones being the elite player we need. But more of the same calibre of mid we have...and moved on in Lyons.

Way, way too early to be making that call on Chayce Jones IMO. Will Hamill though he hasn't shown it yet I hold out very strong belief that he could be that player with his undoubted speed, agility and excellent foot skills once he realises he belongs at the level......was always going to take some time.

Back