Remove this Banner Ad

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yep let's replace Mackay and Dougie with Lyons.

Hey, Eddie can jump a bit.....maybe he can Ruck too.

To me our issue in the middle is lack of a genuine elite playmaker. Most good sides have two. Sloaney, Crouchs and everyone else we have are not that. Neither is Lyons.

As I said earlier, Brisbane's midfield and overall team success is not due to playing Lyons in his natural role (the role Sloane plays for us), but the overall quality and balance of their midfield.

Replacing Mackay or Douglas for Lyons adds little value.

But replacing Atkins Gibbs, Dougie or even B Crouch (the mids we have who are our playmakers, sad isn't it) with a genuine elite playmaking mid would make us a competitive side again.

I am hoping Milera becomes that. But that is becoming shaky.

When you look at who our attacking/playmaking mids are, and compare them to what other clubs have, you see why our midfield is one of the worst (the worst) in the league.

I am hoping Milera becomes that elite playmaker. By that is becoming shaky.

Going forward we need to surround the Crouch's with that quality mid. This Carlton pick must be used for that.

Oh and teaching most of our list to stick a tackle.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Why start with such a stupid analogy?

It’s not our problem you can’t recall Lyons playing that half forward mid role better than Douglas ever has

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
meters gained is one of those stats that Mackay has learned to manipulate extremely well, that's why he does the safe kick down the line to a marking contest.

He’s been smart if nothing else. The kick to yourself, run 10m and then kick to a contest on the boundary line has been a nice little stat paddle for the little spud in the past. That little gift gave him an un-earned effective disposal and a rebound 50. Take those away and he probably drops 3 effective disposals per game over the previous 4-5 years.

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yep let's replace Mackay and Dougie with Lyons.

Hey, Eddie can jump a bit.....maybe he can Ruck too.

To me our issue in the middle is lack of a genuine elite playmaker. Most good sides have two. Sloaney, Crouchs and everyone else we have are not that. Neither is Lyons.

As I said earlier, Brisbane's midfield and overall team success is not due to playing Lyons in his natural role (the role Sloane plays for us), but the overall quality and balance of their midfield.

Replacing Mackay or Douglas for Lyons adds little value.

But replacing Atkins Gibbs, Dougie or even B Crouch (the mids we have who are our playmakers, sad isn't it) with a genuine elite playmaking mid would make us a competitive side again.

I am hoping Milera becomes that. But that is becoming shaky.

When you look at who our attacking/playmaking mids are, and compare them to what other clubs have, you see why our midfield is one of the worst (the worst) in the league.

I am hoping Milera becomes that elite playmaker. By that is becoming shaky.

Going forward we need to surround the Crouch's with that quality mid. This Carlton pick must be used for that.

Oh and teaching most of our list to stick a tackle.

When Hawks dominated, their main midfield group was who?

Mitchell? Sewell? Lewis? Hodge?

Quality is quality - Lyons is now a premier midfielder in the competition - to suggest that we could find a place for him is ridiculous; and the comparisons to Betts going into the ruck are irrelevant and useless.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Rated no 1 midfielder since rd 14.

So on current output, spread, disposal, hurt factor, who would you rather have, Matt or Lyons?

Not saying at the same if I had the choice I would have done Lyons over Matt, but if you asked me now it would be Lyons.

But it was never really a choice between Lyons and Matt, it was a choice between Lyons or Gibbs and Douglas.

Shocking list decision.

dylan123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Lyons was promising but he was never going to get the chance he's been given at Brisbane to really make his way in the comp. He had the talent but we all know he wasn't going to push those ahead of him out of the midfield (without injury) and would have been stuck at a HFF/midfield rotation where he would have been a solid enough player but never really giving us what we need in that position and we wouldn't have given him the position required to shine.

CEY is pretty similar for mine, just a whole lot more injury prone. I'm sure if given a shot in another team he'd be a pretty decent midfielder and be able to at least earn himself a 2-3 year deal instead of being on the rookie list given 1 year deals. We've just got a s**t load of a similar style of player with a selection committee that's unwilling to mix it up.

Am I annoyed how little we gave him away for? Yes, as there was a pick in the 30s or something for memory which should have had our name on it but we settled for less. Do I blame Reid for trading Lyons away? Only for how little we got back. I'd more point the finger at the selection committee that wouldn't have put him into the position where he'd have best suited.

In a sense it's kinda understandable though as M.Crouch came into the squad quickly and wasn't able to play elsewhere like Lyons could.

At the end of the day, I'm happy he left as he's been able to make a proper career for himself and get some recognition for it which I have no faith in that being the case if he stayed with us.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Lyons was promising but he was never going to get the chance he's been given at Brisbane to really make his way in the comp. He had the talent but we all know he wasn't going to push those ahead of him out of the midfield (without injury) and would have been stuck at a HFF/midfield rotation where he would have been a solid enough player but never really giving us what we need in that position and we wouldn't have given him the position required to shine.

CEY is pretty similar for mine, just a whole lot more injury prone. I'm sure if given a shot in another team he'd be a pretty decent midfielder and be able to at least earn himself a 2-3 year deal instead of being on the rookie list given 1 year deals. We've just got a s**t load of a similar style of player with a selection committee that's unwilling to mix it up.

Am I annoyed how little we gave him away for? Yes, as there was a pick in the 30s or something for memory which should have had our name on it but we settled for less. Do I blame Reid for trading Lyons away? Only for how little we got back. I'd more point the finger at the selection committee that wouldn't have put him into the position where he'd have best suited.

In a sense it's kinda understandable though as M.Crouch came into the squad quickly and wasn't able to play elsewhere like Lyons could.

At the end of the day, I'm happy he left as he's been able to make a proper career for himself and get some recognition for it which I have no faith in that being the case if he stayed with us.
Brisbane’s midfield is stronger than ours and he is getting the opportunity.

We went for Gibbs and pushed out Lyons to try and get it done. Stupid thing is in 17 & 18 we had neither.

dylan123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Brisbane’s midfield is stronger than ours and he is getting the opportunity.

We went for Gibbs and pushed out Lyons to try and get it done. Stupid thing is in 17 & 18 we had neither.
Yep, but do you honestly imagine Lyons would have been having a good of a season with us this year that he's having at Brisbane? I have very little faith in him being given the proper opportunity had he remained with us.

Also think Lyons would have been pushed out regardless of Gibbs but that's just my personal view.

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
We played Douglas and Thommo in front of him.

With opportunity, he would’ve thrived with us as well - the fact those idiots didn’t give him one is yet another display of their incompetence.

He got an opportunity in his last year

He played 20 games and finished 12th in our best n fairest on average votes.

We rewarded that with a contract offer barely above rookie level

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Huntercrow

Dwat that Wabbit
Feb 7, 2009
Hunter Valley
AFL Club
Adelaide
As much as Jarryd might be thanking the AFC for moving him on to greener pastures. He should be on his knees to Stewy Dew for one of the strangest decisions in football at the end of last season.

I think we have to except the fact we are old news in the Jarryd Lyons story. Gold Coast fans would be looking at Jarryd’s performance this year and asking some hard questions about the wisdom of their coach.

So looking ahead at his chances of winning a premiership this year along side another former Crow in a very strong midfield will show his detractors and supporters what Gold Coast and the Crows have given away so cheaply.

Good luck Jarryd! Hope you bag the big one!

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

So on current output, spread, disposal, hurt factor, who would you rather have, Matt or Lyons?

Not saying at the same if I had the choice I would have done Lyons over Matt, but if you asked me now it would be Lyons.

But it was never really a choice between Lyons and Matt, it was a choice between Lyons or Gibbs and Douglas.

Shocking list decision.

I’d take Lyons for 3 with Thommo’s $200k for 2017 going to him across those years. But, I’m glad for him that he got out so he could prove that he can seriously play.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
I’d take Lyons for 3 with Thommo’s $200k for 2017 going to him across those years. But, I’m glad for him that he got out so he could prove that he can seriously play.
It was the right decision for him and for us given that we weren't going to use him. Would have been wasting everyone's time by staying.

What was annoying was our reluctance to play him previous to that and our aversion to playing him in the centre square.

Didn't know what we had.

Jul 17, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
He got an opportunity in his last year

He played 20 games and finished 12th in our best n fairest on average votes.

We rewarded that with a contract offer barely above rookie level
He got an opportunity predominantly as a fringe flanker, with some midfield scraps...didn't possess a midfield gold pass. The fact he played so well in the graveyard position shouldn't be underrated.

His clearances were (still are) more constructive in releasing others than our current bunch plus he's a decent forward threat so doesn't just have to play midfield the whole match.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America

Shocking list decision.
As I said earlier. The decision was M Crouch, Sloaney, CEY, Greenwood.

Dougie and Gibbs play different roles. Lyons struggled as that outside/third mid in his final year with us when he played 20 full games. The Dougie/Gibbs/BCrouch role does not suit him.

But right now you would take him ahead of all of them.

In hindsight we should have shipped out one of M Crouch or Sloaney to give Lyons the opportunity to play one of their roles. Maybe the ballsy move was to let Sloaney go?

At Brisbane he is finally working in tandem with another high quality inside mid. He was never getting that chance here and GC just dont have that quality mid for him to work with

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
As I said earlier. The decision was M Crouch, Sloaney, CEY, Greenwood.

Dougie and Gibbs play different roles. Lyons struggled as that outside/third mid in his final year with us when he played 20 full games. The Dougie/Gibbs/BCrouch role does not suit him.

But right now you would take him ahead of all of them.

In hindsight we should have shipped out one of M Crouch or Sloaney to give Lyons the opportunity to play one of their roles. Maybe the ballsy move was to let Sloaney go?

At Brisbane he is finally working in tandem with another high quality inside mid. He was never getting that chance here and GC just dont have that quality mid for him to work with

Lyons was 12th in our B&F in average votes per game, in his first full year of getting a chance so I don’t think he struggled like you suggested.

Last edited:

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
It was the right decision for him and for us given that we weren't going to use him. Would have been wasting everyone's time by staying.

What was annoying was our reluctance to play him previous to that and our aversion to playing him in the centre square.

Didn't know what we had.
I think you’re probably letting us off lightly there.

In his last year 2016, he played 20 games at just under 22 possessions per game average.

He’s actually finally arrived as a player for us. I don’t recall specifics now but he must have had some midfield time to average that high.

To then turf him (and that’s what it was) after that year was inexplicable list management.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Lyons was 12th in our B&F in average votes per game, in his first full year of getting a chance so I don’t think he struggled like you suggested.
12th?

Where did our other mids rank?

Struggled may be too harsh. But he was not playing his best role.

Right now looking back I do agree we should not have traded in Gibbs. Certainly should have delisted Dougie by now. But I am not sure we would be seeing as high an output from Lyons as that third mid.

If he was in the team instead of Sloaney would we be better off? Give Lyons a three year deal after 2016 and let Sloaney leave at the end of his last contract, or at least not overpay him and lose him. Having M crouch and Lyons work together, as he is now with Neale. I kind of think the answer is yes

I think you’re probably letting us off lightly there.

In his last year 2016, he played 20 games at just under 22 possessions per game average.

He’s actually finally arrived as a player for us. I don’t recall specifics now but he must have had some midfield time to average that high.

To then turf him (and that’s what it was) after that year was inexplicable list management.

We either needed to retain him or cash him in for decent trade value. Either option was fine.

The problem is we did neither

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
12th?

Where did our other mids rank?

Struggled may be too harsh. But he was not playing his best role.

Right now looking back I do agree we should not have traded in Gibbs. Certainly should have delisted Dougie by now. But I am not sure we would be seeing as high an output from Lyons as that third mid.

If he was in the team instead of Sloaney would we be better off? Give Lyons a three year deal after 2016 and let Sloaney leave at the end of his last contract, or at least not overpay him and lose him. Having M crouch and Lyons work together, as he is now with Neale. I kind of think the answer is yes

There’s no doubt we are rusted on to particular names in our midfield and if you aren’t one of the gang you might as well leave.

That gang has been proven time and again to not be up to it. Right now if you asked me to choose between Lyons and Sloane I wouldn’t hesitate to choose the former.

We have an entirely inflated view of our midfield which has no basis in reality

The crazy thing is if we got fair value for Jarryd Lyons, which I maintain was an early second round pick, these are some of the players we would have had access to:

Alex Witherden
Brandan Parfitt
Zac Fisher
Patrick Lipinski
Shai Bolton

All taken between 23 and 29 in the draft

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
There’s no doubt we are rusted on to particular names in our midfield and if you aren’t one of the gang you might as well leave.

That gang has been proven time and again to not be up to it. Right now if you asked me to choose between Lyons and Sloane I wouldn’t hesitate to choose the former.

We have an entirely inflated view of our midfield which has no basis in reality
M Crouch, Sloaney, Lyons all are interchangeable IMO.

All three are good clearance winners who are capable of kicking a goal. Albeit M Crouch is pretty poor at sunset shot.

We chose to keep the first two and happy to see Lyons look elsewhere.

It is unfortunate that you really cant play three of these kinds of guys.

Our midfield is slow enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back