Good movies

Remove this Banner Ad

I saw The taking of Pelham 123 earlier this year, I can reccomend it. Have you seen Gangs of New York?

I haven't seen many theatre releases in the last 2 or so years so I can't really reccomend many new ones :(

I'd say Pacific Rim is very good if you haven't seen that, I also really liked The perks of being a Wallflower, though that is quite different to the movies you listed :p

FWIW My favorite movies are Reservoir Dogs, Clockwork Orange, The Good the Bad and the Ugly, and of course Star Wars. I also really really liked 3 Idiots which I watched for the first time this year, but the second time I watched it wasn't as good so I can't say for sure whether that will stay top 5 for very long.

We also watched the orginal Planet of the Apes the other day, that is pretty awesome, but probably for a lazy afternoon rather than a big night time movie, if that makes any sense?

Oh and Ace Ventura 2 gets a mention just in case you somehow haven't seen that!

The ones know of are: Once upon a time in the west (very slow but fantastic), 3:10 to Yuma (just OK), the quick and the dead (OK), and The magnificent seven (brilliant)

I've heard the other "man with no name" films A fistful of dollars, and For a few dollars more, are pretty good, and my dad tells me The Wild Bunch is extremely good.

If you know any others let me know because I love westerns!

The Hurt locker is the best movie I have seen for a while, but I would be lucky to watch more than 6-7 movies a year.

Agree with Lurk3r, one of the best westerns is the Magnificent Seven, star studded cast, classic good guys helping out a small village vs bad guys all in black.
Also can't go past a John Wayne western.

Meh, I can go past most of them. But there are some doozies like Rio Bravo. Also like The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

The Searchers I think is overrated, but I am probably the only one on earth who thinks so.

Yea...Pelham 1 2 3 is a good one. ..Denzel rarely makes a dud...

I want to see Rush ... Ron Howard directs. ..about the battle between pommy driver, James Hunt and Austrian Niki Lauda ... F1 when it was driver v driver...not technology!

"Gravity" - see it in 3D on the biggest screen you can find. Stunning, even if Clooney just plays Clooney. Contrary to what you might think it's not a sci-fi film at all, it's just a very tense thriller set in space.

Haven't seen "Rush" yet.

Only heard great things about both movies, even from people I know 'in the business' who normally aren't into 'space' movies or car movies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with Lurk3r, one of the best westerns is the Magnificent Seven, star studded cast, classic good guys helping out a small village vs bad guys all in black.

If you liked Magnificent Seven, then you should watch the original "Seven Samurai" or some other Akira Kurosawa films.

Need a decent cowboy flick, loved GBU, massive fan of unforgiven.

A Fistful of Dollars is another Western that was a remake of Kurosawa's films (Yojimbo). So both are worth watching.

I know this post is heavily Asian influenced.. so I'll take that extra step and recommend "The Good, Bad and the Weird", it's a Korean (Kimchi Western) homage/remake of GBU.

Adding to that, check out the "Revenge Trilogy" (Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Oldboy and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance). An American remake of Oldboy is being released this year with Josh Brolin as the lead (if you liked no country for old men). So to prepare your brain for it, the Korean version will be a good start. raman knows what I'm talking about.

Recent movies I've seen are Great Gatsby, Oblivion, Wolverine, Stoker, Django Unchained, The Heat, Looper, Warm Bodies, Jack Reacher. All worth a watch.

If you liked Magnificent Seven, then you should watch the original "Seven Samurai" or some other Akira Kurosawa films.

A Fistful of Dollars is another Western that was a remake of Kurosawa's films (Yojimbo). So both are worth watching.

I know this post is heavily Asian influenced.. so I'll take that extra step and recommend "The Good, Bad and the Weird", it's a Korean (Kimchi Western) homage/remake of GBU.

Adding to that, check out the "Revenge Trilogy" (Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Oldboy and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance). An American remake of Oldboy is being released this year with Josh Brolin as the lead (if you liked no country for old men). So to prepare your brain for it, the Korean version will be a good start. raman knows what I'm talking about.

Recent movies I've seen are Great Gatsby, Oblivion, Wolverine, Stoker, Django Unchained, The Heat, Looper, Warm Bodies, Jack Reacher. All worth a watch.

Loved warm bodies the way they mixed the dark sarcastic humour with a story that actually had meaning behind it was great.

Django was one of the best film for the year, one of the best parts Leo has ever played.

I still can't get my head around watching anything with bloody Tom Cruise in it.

Korean cowboy flicks this sounds interesting will look some up and let you know what I think.

Thanks!

If you know any others let me know because I love westerns!

How old do you want to go?

The Birth of a Nation (1915)
Riders of the Purple Sage (1931)
The Conquerors (1932)
Stagecoach (1939)
Northwest Passage (1940)
Red River (1948)
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)
Apache Drums (1951)
High Noon (1952)
The Naked Spur (1953)
The Command (1954)
The Man from Laramie (1955)
3:10 to Yuma (1957)
Gunfight at the O.K. Corral (1957)
They Came to Cordura (1959)
The Horse Soldiers (1959)
How the West Was Won (1962)
Major Dundee (1965)
Shenandoah (1965)
Cat Ballou (1965)
The Professionals (1966)
Duel at Diablo (1966)
Bandolero! (1968)
Shalako (1968)
The Wild Bunch (1969)
A Man Called Horse (1970)
Little Big Man (1970)
Chato's Land (1972)
I Will Fight No More Forever (1975)
The Shootist (1976)
The Long Riders (1980)
Silverado (1985)
Wyatt Earp (1994)
Andersonville (1996)
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007)

Plus many of the John Wayne movies

Loved warm bodies the way they mixed the dark sarcastic humour with a story that actually had meaning behind it was great.

Django was one of the best film for the year, one of the best parts Leo has ever played.

I still can't get my head around watching anything with bloody Tom Cruise in it.

Korean cowboy flicks this sounds interesting will look some up and let you know what I think.

Thanks!

Yeah, Warm Bodies was definitely a bit of a sleeper, but I have a love of zombie films, so I gave it a watch (Having Port's own Teresa Palmer in it is a nice added bonus too). World War Z was pretty good too, but you can tell they had some budget/movie politics issues.

Tom Cruise pisses me off too, but he does sign onto good roles. Jack Reacher, Oblivion, Last Samurai etc. make for a pretty badass resume.

If you're a fan of Leo, then the Departed/Shutter Island/Inception/Gatsby are all worth watching for him. Actually anything he's been in since 2006 has been good.

And cheers Asgardian for that list, I'm a Westerns noob but that looks like a good list to start.

How old do you want to go?

The Birth of a Nation (1915)
Riders of the Purple Sage (1931)
The Conquerors (1932)
Stagecoach (1939)
Northwest Passage (1940)
Red River (1948)
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)
Apache Drums (1951)
High Noon (1952)
The Naked Spur (1953)
The Command (1954)
The Man from Laramie (1955)
3:10 to Yuma (1957)
Gunfight at the O.K. Corral (1957)
They Came to Cordura (1959)
The Horse Soldiers (1959)
How the West Was Won (1962)
Major Dundee (1965)
Shenandoah (1965)
Cat Ballou (1965)
The Professionals (1966)
Duel at Diablo (1966)
Bandolero! (1968)
Shalako (1968)
The Wild Bunch (1969)
A Man Called Horse (1970)
Little Big Man (1970)
Chato's Land (1972)
I Will Fight No More Forever (1975)
The Shootist (1976)
The Long Riders (1980)
Silverado (1985)
Wyatt Earp (1994)
Andersonville (1996)
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007)

Plus many of the John Wayne movies
Wyatt Earp is the s**t, Val's portrayal of "............" * can't remember his name but it the best part he ever played. Also I loved the assassination of Jesse James but many did not.

Wyatt Earp is the s**t, Val's portrayal of "............" **** can't remember his name but it the best part he ever played.

I reckon you are talking about Tombstone, where Val Kilmer played Doc Holliday

Wyatt Earp is the s**t, Val's portrayal of "............" **** can't remember his name but it the best part he ever played. Also I loved the assassination of Jesse James but many did not.
Val did a pretty good drunken Jim Morrison in The Doors although it was a one dimensional portrayal of the man plus a weak script

Inside Man
The Black Book

Inside Man was good, but my favourite Denzel movie is Man On Fire.
Also loved the way Clint closed the door on 2 of his film personas with Unforgiven and Gran Torino...2 of my favourite movies. Another movie I really love but was panned by critics is Soldier with Kurt Russell

Remove this Banner Ad

Back