Good movies

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm currently reading about the Spanish Civil War and I'm a George Orwell fan, so this film was very appealing to me:

Big fan of Ken Loach.

The Clash, Spanish Bombs

Watched a really good Aussie co-production yesterday

Black and White (2002)

It's about the Max Stuart murder / trial / royal commission that took place in South Australia in the late 1950's, with Rohan Rivett, Rupert Murdoch & Thomas Playford all playing important roles in an event that was a small factor in helping bring down Sir Thomas Playford's Menzies/Bolte style government.

Highly recommended

Just got hold of a 1992 made for TV movie, To Catch a Killer

It's about American serial killer, John Wayne Gacy, and his "exploits". Coming from the POV of lead detective, Joe Kozenczak and his time on the case, how they zeroed in on Gacy, but were unable to come up with any first hand proof, allowing Gacy to make legal threats and almost getting away with it all.

If you find the movie anywhere, AVOID the edited versions and go for the just over 3 hour version.

Hey guys, wondering if some of you can do a favour for this old Port man ... :D (notice I'm trying to beg?) ... :D

I need a few people to vote on some movies on IMDB (Internet Movie DataBase). You see I keep my movie inventory / database on a program that takes all the details of any movie/TV show from the IMDB site. If a movie hasn't received enough votes, it leaves a blank which leaves my database incomplete. Plus some movies are rounded to 5.0 when the Arithmetic mean = 5.4, this is the case on The Beast of Hollow Mountain (1956), so for movies like that I'm trying to get a more accurate figure rather than the Median that is sometimes used.

So if you are a registered member on IMDB, can you please vote on the following movies.

Black Diamonds (1940)

Sets itself up as an exposé of dangerous working conditions in a coal mine

I gave it 4/10

Hot Steel (1940)

With WW2 approaching Hollywood was paranoid about secret industry raw material formulas, so here's another example, along with marriage infidelities and right guy wrong place situations.

I gave it 6/10

South to Karanga (1940)

The attempts to settle the unrest at an African copper mine is nowhere near politically correct, but the hijinx on the train journey to the mine makes the movie watchable.

I gave it 3/10

Ride, Kelly, Ride (1941)

Set against the crooked racetrack game and a jockey's efforts to play it straight.

I gave it 2/10

Almost Married (1942)

Who has to marry who and who marries who, who do not have to marry.

I gave it 3/10

Frisco Lil (1942)

A law student's Dad is framed for murder, so she gets a gambling joint job to uncover the truth.

I gave it 6/10

Lady Chaser (1946)

A poisoned aspirin has almost as long a journey as draft pick 10, with the wrong bloke ending up dead and the wrong girl ending up convicted.

I gave it 7/10

Disaster (1948)

Taking its cue from the 1945 Empire State building accident, a B-25 crashed into it, this movie uses that as a backdrop when a plane crashes into a building under construction and a worker hiding from the police becomes a hero.

I gave it 8/10

The Law vs. Billy the Kid (1954)

The kid, his pal Pat Garrett and a ranch owner are all pals until a woman is involved and a dastardly no-good doesn't like the status quo.

I gave it 3/10

"The 20th Century-Fox Hour" Gun in His Hand (1956)

A TV episode about a crook who is captured, and his gang abandoning his wife a baby, with the wife dying.

I gave it 4/10

The Man Without a Body (1957)

A wealthy man has brain cancer, he goes to a crack-pot scientist to get a new head and chooses the head of Nostradamus from his crypt.

I gave it 2/10

Attack of the 50 Foot Woman (1958)

After meeting an alien a married lady grows to a huge size and takes off after her cheating husband

I gave it 3/10

"Playhouse 90" Bitter Heritage (1958)

A TV western about the James boys being framed with a bank hold up and the lady who comes to their rescue.

I gave it 6/10

The Broken Land (1962)

A no-good sheriff, robberies, murders and here comes the hero on a white horse ... well not quite.

I gave it 4/10

The Great Sioux Massacre (1965)

Background story of Custer and Little Big Horn

I gave it 7/10

The Ambushers (1967)

A very weak entry in the Matt Helm series of movies, this time the Bond/Flint spoof spy is on the track of a stolen flying saucer.

I gave it 1 out of 10

"Black and Blue" Secrets (1973)

A chocolate making factory discovers a fantastic new ingredient, people. Written by a couple of Pythons.

I gave it 9/10

Moontrap (1989)

A bit of junk on the Moon turns out to be a left over alien war robot that aint friendly.

I gave it 3/10

Midnight in Saint Petersburg (1996)

Ex spy Harry Palmer runs his own business in Russia getting up to his usual tricks

I gave it 8/10

Churchill: The Hollywood Years (2004)

Awful, awful farce about WW2 Winston Churchill being a all-action super soldier.

I gave it 1/10

Home Front Britain (2009)

A documentary series using a collection of WW2 era shorts, to entertain, inform and warn, plus used as a weapon, propaganda through entertainment.

I gave it 7 out of 10

Frankenstein vs. Hitler (2011)

The Fuhrer is resurrected to battle it out with Frankenstein's monster for the German World Championship of Evil (I copied this)

I gave it 6/10

Voyage to the Planet of Teenage Cavewomen (2012)

A high school kid made this as a tribute to 1950's sci-fi classics

I gave it 9/10 ... or 1/10

Flashback: The First World War (2014)

Collection of short newsreel films about WW1

I gave it 7/10

Hey guys, wondering if some of you can do a favour for this old Port man ... :D (notice I'm trying to beg?) ... :D

I need a few people to vote on some movies on IMDB (Internet Movie DataBase). You see I keep my movie inventory / database on a program that takes all the details of any movie/TV show from the IMDB site. If a movie hasn't received enough votes, it leaves a blank which leaves my database incomplete. Plus some movies are rounded to 5.0 when the Arithmetic mean = 5.4, this is the case on The Beast of Hollow Mountain (1956), so for movies like that I'm trying to get a more accurate figure rather than the Median that is sometimes used.

So if you are a registered member on IMDB, can you please vote on the following movies.

Black Diamonds (1940)

Sets itself up as an exposé of dangerous working conditions in a coal mine

I gave it 4/10

Hot Steel (1940)

With WW2 approaching Hollywood was paranoid about secret industry raw material formulas, so here's another example, along with marriage infidelities and right guy wrong place situations.

I gave it 6/10

South to Karanga (1940)

The attempts to settle the unrest at an African copper mine is nowhere near politically correct, but the hijinx on the train journey to the mine makes the movie watchable.

I gave it 3/10

Ride, Kelly, Ride (1941)

Set against the crooked racetrack game and a jockey's efforts to play it straight.

I gave it 2/10

Almost Married (1942)

Who has to marry who and who marries who, who do not have to marry.

I gave it 3/10

Frisco Lil (1942)

A law student's Dad is framed for murder, so she gets a gambling joint job to uncover the truth.

I gave it 6/10

Lady Chaser (1946)

A poisoned aspirin has almost as long a journey as draft pick 10, with the wrong bloke ending up dead and the wrong girl ending up convicted.

I gave it 7/10

Disaster (1948)

Taking its cue from the 1945 Empire State building accident, a B-25 crashed into it, this movie uses that as a backdrop when a plane crashes into a building under construction and a worker hiding from the police becomes a hero.

I gave it 8/10

The kid, his pal Pat Garrett and a ranch owner are all pals until a woman is involved and a dastardly no-good doesn't like the status quo.

I gave it 3/10

A TV episode about a crook who is captured, and his gang abandoning his wife a baby, with the wife dying.

I gave it 4/10

A wealthy man has brain cancer, he goes to a crack-pot scientist to get a new head and chooses the head of Nostradamus from his crypt.

I gave it 2/10

After meeting an alien a married lady grows to a huge size and takes off after her cheating husband

I gave it 3/10

"Playhouse 90" Bitter Heritage (1958)

A TV western about the James boys being framed with a bank hold up and the lady who comes to their rescue.

I gave it 6/10

The Broken Land (1962)

A no-good sheriff, robberies, murders and here comes the hero on a white horse ... well not quite.

I gave it 4/10

I gave it 7/10

The Ambushers (1967)

A very weak entry in the Matt Helm series of movies, this time the Bond/Flint spoof spy is on the track of a stolen flying saucer.

I gave it 1 out of 10

"Black and Blue" Secrets (1973)

A chocolate making factory discovers a fantastic new ingredient, people. Written by a couple of Pythons.

I gave it 9/10

Moontrap (1989)

A bit of junk on the Moon turns out to be a left over alien war robot that aint friendly.

I gave it 3/10

Ex spy Harry Palmer runs his own business in Russia getting up to his usual tricks

I gave it 8/10

Awful, awful farce about WW2 Winston Churchill being a all-action super soldier.

I gave it 1/10

Home Front Britain (2009)

A documentary series using a collection of WW2 era shorts, to entertain, inform and warn, plus used as a weapon, propaganda through entertainment.

I gave it 7 out of 10

The Fuhrer is resurrected to battle it out with Frankenstein's monster for the German World Championship of Evil (I copied this)

I gave it 6/10

Voyage to the Planet of Teenage Cavewomen (2012)

A high school kid made this as a tribute to 1950's sci-fi classics

I gave it 9/10 ... or 1/10

Flashback: The First World War (2014)

Collection of short newsreel films about WW1

I gave it 7/10
Copied all of your votes. Have never heard of a single one of those movies.

Copied all of your votes. Have never heard of a single one of those movies.

I now have about 5,500 movies, TV shows, docos in my collection, I'm betting about 3,000 of them no-one here on Bigfooty, with maybe just 2 exceptions, have ever heard of.

Many thanks for taking the time to do the voting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still need a few more votes on a few movies, please

I gave it 3/10

I gave it 4/10

I gave it 2/10

I gave it 3/10

The Broken Land (1962)

I gave it 4/10

I gave it 7/10

The Ambushers (1967)

I gave it 1 out of 10

Moontrap (1989)

I gave it 3/10

I gave it 8/10

I gave it 1/10

I gave it 6/10

It's been about 6 months, would some of you fellow Port supporters & movie fans mind helping out this old Port bloke and vote on some movies on IMDB for me please?

The husband of a wealthy lady continues with his affairs despite going back to her when he needs money, which she knows. One night after another argument she takes off in her car, encounters a UFO and grows to an incredible size and is easily capable of exacting her revenge.

I voted 1/10

Beggar's Holiday (1934)

An unemployed dancer and an embezzler meet for a few laughs while he's planning to flee the country before being sent to prison. However this is the movies, so they fall in love, he decides to stay and accept his punishment all for a chance afterwards to be with his new girl.

I voted (generously) 7/10

Brushing Away Time (1995)

This is a title that I added to IMDB, lock stock & barrel. It's a doco about the site of the Little Big Horn stand by Custer. About 100 odd years later a fire swept through the area, giving historians, archeologists, etc new & unfettered access to the site of that conflict. They were able to do various excavations and find out an almost complete and new idea of the details about the fight, some contradictory to popular opinion and much of it in support of many Native American oral histories.

I voted 7/10

I gave it 1/10

Disaster (1948)

An innocent bloke, at the wrong place at the wrong time, is thought to be a murderer, so he takes off. He finds a high rise construction job only to be dragged into a rescue scene when a light plane crashes into the top floors of a multi-story building. His selfless acts shine new light on him plus show up who was the real killer and all, except the killer, have a happy life.

I voted 7/10

Escapade (1932)

A just released convict, Phillip Whitney, is the target of a former cellmate, Gimpy, who reckons he knows too much. So Whitney & his wife decide to travel away quickly and end up at his brother's, the famous lawyer, who soon falls in love with Phil's wife. However Gimpy knows where to find Whitney and in the ensuing gun battle both are killed, leaving the lawyer & ex-wife free to dally.

I voted 6/10

Hot Tip (1935)

A real jumble of lies, sure things on the race tracks, betting on losing horses when supposed to bet on the horse that actually wins and going into huge debt to chase the losses is all part of this "comedy" of a family whose daughter is about to be married.

I voted 3/10

I gave it 2/10

I gave it 8/10

Million Dollar Hijack (1984)

This is a German production that is available dubbed into English. An employee of Lufthansa who works at an airport depot that regularly handles large amounts of cash puts together a plan to steal that money. Things get out of control for him when that plan is leaked to a big combo of professional crooks who take over everything, but without any inclination to share that money with him or any of the other people they bring in to get the heist done.

I voted 8/10

Moontrap (1989)

I gave it 3/10

Raiding Invaders (1987)

A typical 1980's Hong Kong made, in English, war film. American Korean war comrades meet up again in the rice paddies of Vietnam fighting a very different enemy who uses the terrain to his advantage. All this is complicated by a crazy romance that is added only for the titillation. This is a very poorly made and acted film only for genre buffs.

I voted 2/10

Rookie Fireman (1950)

A 1990's style soap-opera in a 1950 made film set in a big city fire house about the entanglements, love interests and infidelities that set some firemen against each other when they most need to work together, during a huge warehouse fire.

I voted 6/10

Thunder in the Night (1935)

Set in Budapest. A police captain, Torok, is very happy when his friend, Count Alvinczy, is elected President of Hungary. All is not well though when a blackmailer turns up trying to extort the Count, only for the blackmailer to be found dead and all clues lead straight to the Count's wife, Madalaine. Under the public eye Torok must investigate the murder, all the while believing not all is as it seems.

I voted 6/10

Thank you in advance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back