Good News Everyone - Carlton vs Richmond to be the season opener again in 2023

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Probably the first time in 42 years it will actually mean something.

Edit Correction:
Carlton and Richmond also played round one in 1983 when both contenders, so make that 40 years since it really had them both to be contenders going into the new season.
Yeh this probably not the season to have an issue with the game, it'll be 2 pretty decent sides with a bit of expectation on them and a crowd of 85k+ with reasonable weather.

Probably the first time in 42 years it will actually mean something.

It felt like it meant something in the Ben Cousins game. That sadly lasted 5 minutes.

Always seems to be the interstate crew and the cats fans that get the most offended by this fixture… funny stuff.
Interstate and Cats supporters always get very salty whenever Richmond enters a conversation. I think they're just very jealous that Richmond has been so successful despite not getting the leg-ups and unsporting advantages their clubs get. I take it as a compliment.

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
Would neutrals honestly prefer Adelaide and GWS to kick the season off ? Lol

This game will come close to cracking 95 K, the AFL ain't going to turn its back on the golden goose with such massive crowds and TV ratings like the Blues v Tigers season opener.
I had hoped for Freo v Gold Coast but twasnt to be

Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
The fixture where the same two teams open the season a lot of the time is boring. Sometimes I wonder if Richmond posters on here are playing at being dense.
Well last year we didnt open the season and from what Ive read Geelong and Sydney didnt want the opening game this year, so maybe you need to speak to them about it.

What difference would it make if we play on the opening game or the next day, it would still be the only game played on that day?

Simple fact is the AFL knows Richmond and Carlton draw a big crowd at the game and on TV, no matter their position on the ladder, so no we are not dense we are just playing when and where we are scheduled, personally I hate us playing Wed/Thursday games.

You do realise you have a choice if you watch it or not?

And big clubs will continue to think they stay big on merit lol

Oh dear. North stays irrelevant on merit.

In truth the two most popular teams should kick off the season. They are the Bloods and the Pies.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Oh dear. North stays irrelevant on merit.

In truth the two most popular teams should kick off the season. They are the Bloods and the Pies.

Nah Tigers and Blues have earned this marquee timeslot, Pies v Blues is an historically great and significant fixture alone to be played elsewhere.

Back