Good News Everyone - Carlton vs Richmond to be the season opener again in 2023

Oh dear. North stays irrelevant on merit.

In truth the two most popular teams should kick off the season. They are the Bloods and the Pies.

North are more relevant than Sydney simply by being Victorian

North are more relevant than Sydney simply by being Victorian

We outnumber your EDFL team- fans at your home games in Vic and tas

Seattle Mariners

Team Captain
Sep 14, 2022
AFL Club
Melbourne
i-didnt-see-5b33e5.jpg

AFDogs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Dogs vs Dees again would have been nice. Both times they played each other this year were good games and both won 1 a piece. Decent little rivalry building.

Nov 11, 2010
Punt Rd End
AFL Club
Richmond
As a Richmond supporter, I would prefer we didn't start the year off every year. Historically, Carlton designs their preseason all around this game and throw every thing they have at us. Richmond tend to try and build into the season so in that first game, we are normally not at our best. Now things might change next season but it means a lot of hype for just 4 points.

Now don't get me wrong, there is some great rewards for playing the game - higher profile which reward sponsors and promote merchandise/membership sales, preparing players for other big games/finals etc but I would prefer to build into the season and have the hype for games when we're at our peak.

Not sure why everyone's getting upset, it makes perfect sense to me.

Geelong and Sydney play their GF last game of the season, Richmond and Carlton play their GF first game of the season.

It's a nice bookend to each year.
Well the AFL needs a decent ratings booster after there was so little interest in the Geelong/Sydney Grand Final outside of NSW.
Can anyone even remember it?

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Dogs vs Dees again would have been nice. Both times they played each other this year were good games and both won 1 a piece. Decent little rivalry building.

Nah, doesn't have the crowd drawing or TV rating pulling power of Blues v Tigers.

Dare say Channel 7 would have been consulted too.

Sky

Doctor Demise
Feb 14, 2021
NT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Raptors, Storm, Chelsea
It should always be two massive clubs to maximise viewers. So what’s the alternatives? Personally, I’m happy with Carlton and Richmond.

Although it does make me wonder why Carlton/Collingwood, Essendon/Carlton, Richmond/Collingwood don’t have marquee games.

I might be beautiful but that doesn’t mean I’m perfect so I could possibly be missing something but from memory, Richmond has the season opener and Dreamtime.

Carlton only a season opener.

Essendon has Dreamtime, Anzac and the passionless country game.

Collingwood get Queens and Anzac.

The league likes to manufacture rivalries that don’t exist such as Geelong vs Essendon. Therefore I wouldn’t mind seeing some WA vs SA hatred going. Any combination of Adelaide or Port against WC or Freo would work for me but definitely not as a season opener.

Sky

Doctor Demise
Feb 14, 2021
NT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Raptors, Storm, Chelsea
Really? Who would mind little Geelong winning another flag? It was probably big news in Geelong a few weeks ago. God love'em.
You’re a good bloke Grin

i believe the season opener should be stripped from richmond and carlton and be given to gold coast and gws

a true prime time fixture slot to help grow the two expansion teams would be a nice boost to help develop their supporter base even more and push football into non-heartland territory

neither carlton or richmond will want for "blockbuster" games with this removed and frankly do not deserve to retain the season opener on merit due to the quality of the matchup over the last 2 decades being rather poor

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
i believe the season opener should be stripped from richmond and carlton and be given to gold coast and gws

a true prime time fixture slot to help grow the two expansion teams would be a nice boost to help develop their supporter base even more and push football into non-heartland territory

neither carlton or richmond will want for "blockbuster" games with this removed and frankly do not deserve to retain the season opener on merit due to the quality of the matchup over the last 2 decades being rather poor

What other blockbuster games do Carlton have?

Back