Good News Everyone - Carlton vs Richmond to be the season opener again in 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

No, no, no...

You've got it all wrong. Apparently it's a Grand Final Preview.

Just ask all the Carlton and Richmond posters on this forum.

o_Oo_Oo_O
You can ask me as you said all supporters. I don't think it's a grand final preview at all. Carlton will be lucky to make it

Its all about launching the season with as much fanfare and as much interest as possible. Last year the AFL bowed to public pressure and played the two Grand Finalists as the first game and it failed to draw the interest of previous seasons. This has now guaranteed the AFL to resort back to its original winning formula for many more years to come.

The only way I can see this matchup changed if Collingwood or Essendon replace one of the sides. Collingwood v Richmond or Carlton would generate the same level of interest but given these two matchups are massive blockbusters regardless of the time they are played in the year, then the AFL would steer clear. Collingwood does have Anzac Day and the Queens Birthday as Blockbusters already but Richmond have the first game, Dreamtime and Anzac Day Eve. Carlton only has the first game.

So, the AFL will be reluctant to change now after last years failed experiment and afterall, if you have a successful formula - why change it?

The only way I can see this matchup changed if Collingwood or Essendon replace one of the sides. Collingwood v Richmond or Carlton would generate the same level of interest but given these two matchups are massive blockbusters regardless of the time they are played in the year, then the AFL would steer clear. Collingwood does have Anzac Day and the Queens Birthday as Blockbusters already but Richmond have the first game, Dreamtime and Anzac Day Eve. Carlton only has the first game.
Carlton v. Richmond has to be played in round 1 because chances are by the time mid season comes around, probability dictates either Carlton or Richmond are out of finals calculations, so it is a dud match-up....

Carlton v. Richmond has to be played in round 1 because chances are by the time mid season comes around, probability dictates either Carlton or Richmond are out of finals calculations, so it is a dud match-up....

Yet both have better chances of winning the flag in 2023 than the pies. Ouch 🤣 don’t be too hard on yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Two huge fan bases, both teams tipped to be strong, couple of power midfields butting heads. The MCG will be full.

Problem with permanent fixtures is that one team can be weak for a while. It was Richmond for a bit early days and Carlton for a long time recently. It's finally hit a spot where both sides come into this game strong.

There are no Richmond blockbusters any more. Blockbusters have been blocked by Richmond busting them. Collingwood, Essendon and Carlton combined have won 5 of their last 39 games against Richmond. Therefore their fair weather supporters don’t want to show up to matches against Richmond. To be fair even the notoriously loyal through thick and thin Richmond supporter base would be struggling to want to attend matches where they have a less than 13% chance of victory. 😁

Surely - one of the supporters of the famous Navy Blues - could put up or attach to this thread - the youtube /video or whatever of the 1972 GF

Im only a neutral - but it is beautiful viewing - and i never get sick of watching it - that is watching Richmond fall to bits

Blues our only true rival in the sense they are the only team to beat us in a Grand Final since 1944, 79 seasons, varmints. Cats, not so much GOB. 😁.

There are no Richmond blockbusters any more. Blockbusters have been blocked by Richmond busting them. Collingwood, Essendon and Carlton combined have won 5 of their last 39 games against Richmond. Therefore their fair weather supporters don’t want to show up to matches against Richmond. To be fair even the notoriously loyal through thick and thin Richmond supporter base would be struggling to want to attend matches where they have a less than 13% chance of victory. 😁
Yeah, you could include every team in the comp with that stat if you lump them with Carlton and Essendon.

Collingwood have a positive recent record against Richmond, despite Richmond's recent 'dominance'.

Pies 3.5 wins v. Richmond 2.5 wins in past 6 games.

Pies 11.5 wins v. Richmond 8.5 wins in past 20 games.

Don't lump my club in with those incompetents.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, you could include every team in the comp with that stat if you lump them with Carlton and Essendon.

Collingwood have a positive recent record against Richmond, despite Richmond's recent 'dominance'.

Lol, well spun.

Collingwood have won 4 of their last 13 v Tigers. Carlton 1 of their last 13. Essendon 0 of their last 13.

Collingwood 1 inch tall stand out amongst the microscopic. 😁

Why did you leave out the past 7-19? Surely we are ahead in one of them. Classic spinner Fadge, you should go into politics. And it’s not like you were rounding figures to get to 20 cause you used 6. So desperate you had to go into our dark period to get the stats you want lol.

Lol, well spun.

Collingwood have won 4 of their last 13 v Tigers. Carlton 1 of their last 13. Essendon 0 of their last 13.

Collingwood 1 inch tall stand out amongst the microscopic. 😁
So the absolute best streak Richmond have against Collingwood is 8 wins, 1 draw and 4 losses over 13 games, certainly in the past 40 seasons and possibly since the beginning of time.

It was quite fortunate that you stopped at 13 games... immediately after that we see a 7 game winning streak for the Magpies.

Why did you leave out the past 7-19? Surely we are ahead in one of them. Classic spinner Fadge, you should go into politics. And it’s not like you were rounding figures to get to 20 cause you used 6. So desperate you had to go into our dark period to get the stats you want lol.
'Dark Period'. That's one way of putting it.

Which 'Dark Period' of Richmond's are you referring to? There are so many to choose from...

Which 'Dark Period' of Richmond's are you referring to? There are so many to choose from...

83-16. The big one that you very well know. And you still haven’t answered my question. Pretty sure we had a winning streak against you in the past 7-19 games.

So the absolute best streak Richmond have against Collingwood is 8 wins, 1 draw and 4 losses over 13 games, certainly in the past 40 seasons and possibly since the beginning of time.

It was quite fortunate that you stopped at 13 games... immediately after that we see a 7 game winning streak for the Magpies.

Jesus it never ends with Collingwood supporters. 🤣

I used last 13 games for each club to be fair to everyone. Blues and Bombers fans take it on the chin but you moan for England.

I could have mentioned we have an unavenged Grand Final win against you, but I didn’t. I could have mentioned we have won 6 of our last 7 finals against you, so running at 86% but i thought I would be nice. I could have mentioned it was bloody lucky Collingwood didn’t get through to the 2019 Grand Final or the match would have been far less even than the relative cliff hanger it turned out to be. But no, I decided to play nicely, so stop bickering just because I pointed out that collectively, Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon currently win less than 13% of their matches against Richmond, causing their fans to stay away from contests against us in their droves. 😎😁. I give the Blues some credit though, I thought I heard a faint murmur from their supporters when they piled on about 8 goals in the final term against us last year on their way to an improved and much needed 9th placed finish, a full 8 places above where Collingwood finished the year prior. 😁

Last edited:
Jesus it never ends with Collingwood supporters. 🤣

I used last 13 games for each club to be fair to everyone. Blues and Bombers fans take it on the chin but you moan for England.

I could have mentioned we have an unavenged Grand Final win against you, but I didn’t. I could have mentioned we have won 6 of our last 7 finals against you, so running at 86% but i thought I would be nice. I could have mentioned it was bloody lucky Collingwood didn’t get through to the 2019 Grand Final or the match would have been far less even than the relative cliff hanger it turned out to be. But no, I decided to play nicely, so stop bickering just because I pointed out that collectively, Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon currently win less than 13% of their matches against Richmond, causing their fans to stay away from contests against us in their droves. 😎😁. I give the Blues some credit though, I thought I heard a faint murmur from their supporters when they piled on about 8 goals in the final term against us last year on their way to an improved and much needed 9th placed finish, a full 8 places above where Collingwood finished the year prior. 😁
You forgot to mention Richmond haven't beaten Collingwood in a final for 4 decades...

You forgot to mention Richmond haven't beaten Collingwood in a final for 4 decades...

And I also left out Collingwood haven’t beaten Richmond in a Grand Final for over 9 decades. I suppose that shocks nobody who knows Collingwood have won just one solitary Grand Final in the last 64 seasons. One. 🤣🤣🤣

Current unavenged Grand Final losses against teams in the AFL:

Richmond - Carlton 1982, Melbourne 1940.

Collingwood - Carlton 1915, 1938, 1981, 1979, 1970, Melbourne 1960, 1964, Brisbane 2002, 2003, St Kilda 1966, Richmond 1980, Geelong 2011, Eagles 2018.

Fmd, that’s a few Fadge. But at least you get great value for money as a Collingwood supporter because you get beaten in Grand Finals so often. 🤣

Richmond only 2 periods in history greater than 12 years without a Grand Final win in their illustrious history. 😁

Collingwood has 3. So you have one extra dark period to choose from. 😉

And I also left out Collingwood haven’t beaten Richmond in a Grand Final for over 9 decades. I suppose that shocks nobody who knows Collingwood have won just one solitary Grand Final in the last 64 seasons. One. 🤣🤣🤣

Collingwood - Carlton 1915, 1938, 1981, 1979, 1970, Melbourne 1960, 1964, Brisbane 2002, 2003, St Kilda 1966, Richmond 1980, Geelong 2011, Eagles 2018.

Fmd, that’s a few Fadge. But at least you get great value for money as a Collingwood supporter because you get beaten in Grand Finals so often. 🤣

That’s gold MR, but don’t be too hard on him. He bases his life decisions from Sportsbet 🤣🤣

Richmond only 2 periods in history greater than 12 years without a Grand Final win in their illustrious history. 😁

Collingwood has 3. So you have one extra dark period to choose from. 😉
How many 35 year periods do Collingwood have without any Grand Final appearances, and only two top 4 finishes?

Wow. Now that is Dark!

No wonder you're making hay whilst the sun is shining...

Best teams in history of the competition based on number of teams against whom they have unavenged Grand Final losses:
1. Gold Coast (0)
=2. Fremantle and GWS (1)

What a great way to measure success...

o_Oo_Oo_O

Remove this Banner Ad

Back