Opinion Good Places to live in Melbourne?

Discussion in 'Lidge's Lounge' started by Hazey1977, Dec 16, 2016.

Put it out there
  1. Hazey1977

Hazey1977 Premium Gold

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    FFC, Wimbledon Hawks, Hudi Laran FC
    G'Day from a hot and steamy Timor-Leste North Fans,

As the humidity ramps up here in TL to levels that would have Boonies player comfort meter off the charts, I have ended up, through a couple of casual conversations with colleagues back in Oz, neck deep in for a job that would see the Hazey clan moving to Melbourne! Neither my wife nor I are from Victoria and really have no idea about Melbourne and which suburbs to consider moving into, so I am here to ask the BF faithful for your thoughts.

The job main office is based in Abbotsford, with a project office running out of St Vincent's Hospital for the next couple of years. It is a great opportunity and probably has better career prospects than just staying in the laboratory. Also no shift work, but some travel requirements.

We would initially look to rent until we are sure the job and move to the city are right for us as it is a massive move from what we were originally planning after Timor-Leste (which was to move to Cairns), but eventually like to buy. Mrs H is probably more interested in a new build house and land package which would have us a bit further out, but with rail links and/or cycle pathways to the city, I'd be happy.

I would love to hear where people live, what they like or don't like and definite areas to avoid?

Thanks in advance and Merry Xmas

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. year of the roo

year of the roo Brownlow Medallist

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Working in abbotsford, I'd recommend anything in the east or north as close to the CBD as the budget stretches.

3. Twinkletoes

Twinkletoes Moderator

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    MVFC, Storm, Everton, Socceroos
    Where would the job be located Hazey1977? 'Tis a big city, greater metro suburban area wise, and you'd want to be in the vicinity of work (i.e.. same side of town) and near transport (particularly trains/trams) for your wife. We're 15km's South East of the city. There are so many great areas to live, and a few you'd probably wish to avoid if given the choice, as you have.

4. hilly

hilly Norm Smith Medallist

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Triple M commentary team
    If you end up driving to work, make sure you aren't crossing from west to east or vice-versa.

5. Coalface

Coalface Debutant

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Fish Creek Football Club
    I spent Plenty of time living in and around Abbotsford, it has a lot of positives if you can get past the overt drug activity in parts of Victoria Street. It has certainly gentrified a lot in the last 10 years with trendy bars opening up, there are some cracking pubs too, decent parkland with bike/walking trails along the Yarra, great food options. Clifton hill to north is an option if you're looking for more of a family friendly location.

6. Hojuman

Hojuman Premiership Player

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Could look around Fairfield / Alphington Haze.
    Not so far from Abbotsford and not too close to town. Probably get a house at a reasonable rate.

7. Kanga Glory

Kanga Glory Team Captain

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Come to Flemington. Great area and I go past Arden street most days. Can pop into training to get your North fix

8. Donkey Chop

Donkey Chop Norm Smith Medallist

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    If it's in your budget I'd go for North Fitzroy. Great area with plenty of parks but still close to the city. It would probably take you about 15 minutes to get to StVinnies & Abbotsford (depending on traffic).

9. andana

andana Club Legend

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
  10. Hazey1977

Hazey1977 Premium Gold

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    I'd love to be able to afford somewhere in Abbotsford.... But it would need to be a worst house in best street kind of deal. I'd love to grab a place and renovate, but street doing it all through her childhood Mrs H is hesitant!

What's your thoughts on Brooklyn?

11. Donkey Chop

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Brooklyn is awful (no offence to anyone who lives there).

Edit- not only is it awful, it would take you a long time to commute across the city. I'd stay away from the west if I were you

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. hilly

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Triple M commentary team
    Silly comment.

13. Donkey Chop

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Why? He's working in Abbotsford & StVinnies. Both of which are on the other side of the city to the Western suburbs. Driving across the city will be a nightmare.

Edit- after reading the other posts and seeing hilly posted something similar. There must be a joke that went over my head. Not hard as I'm short & about 3 sheets to the wind at the moment

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  14. hilly

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Triple M commentary team
    Fair enough, must have glazed over that part.

15. Unity-28

Unity-28 All Australian

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Kangaroos
    so have you made the move yet? still looking?

16. Hazey1977

Hazey1977 Premium Gold

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    In what could have been possibly The Worlds longest interview process, I am now eagerly awaiting the formal offer from head office, which I will be accepting.

We've decided to rent somewhere close to work (Abbotsford) for the initial period whilst we get a feel for Melbourne town. So if anyone has a nice 2-3 BR place they are looking to rent, get in touch! We've been looking around Northcote, Kew, Hawthorn, Thonrbury a little bit of Richmond.

Twinkletoes likes this.
  17. Nate7

Nate7 Premiership Player

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Milwaukee Brewers
    Of that list, I'd choose Hawthorn as it has absolutely everything you'll need. Have you had any time to get out and experience different suburbs?

18. Hazey1977

Hazey1977 Premium Gold

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Not yet. We arrive on Saturday evening. Trying to get the packing and work handover done & dusted today!

On SM-G920F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Twinkletoes likes this.
  19. Unity-28

Unity-28 All Australian

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Kangaroos
    we may have a big (112 sq mtr) appt for lease in maribyrnong (on the river, next to highpoint SC). 2 bed, 2 bath, and lots of NM players around the area.