Good players who never went home and played interstate for their entire careers

Remove this Banner Ad

Andrew Gaff, Luke Shuey, Shannon Hurn, Michael Braun, David Wirrpanda.

While they're not all "good", around half our current list are from outside WA. Pretty common for players to be drafted by WC and never return to Vic/SA at all. Your 20s are pretty formative years. If you are a Shannon Hurn who is drafted at 18 years old to Perth and are still here at 32 it's not the same pull home as there would be when you are 21. He may well go back to SA when he finishes up playing footy in a year or two, but he's a married man with a kid and I imagine reasonably settled. No idea where his wife is originally from but there's a good chance it's Perth. Xavier Ellis only played a couple of seasons here at the end of his career and despite retiring during the 2016 season is still here.

Yeah I think it's like The Shawshank Redemption where you become institutionalised.

Had already won a flag at 22 before Brisbane came into the comp. No idea if he was ever tempted to return to Qld but the choice between 1980s Hawthorn and 1980s Brisbane Bears would be a pretty easy one.
true. But the point was, I was shocked He was Born in Queensland, I thought he was a victorian.

Your probably right. Then Again, Brisbane started making finals from 1995 onwards. Dunstall would of been 31 or 32 at the time. Even if he went to Brisbane from like 1996-98, I doubt he would of made it to 1254 goals.

Imagine the AFL trying to offer Jason Dunstall big money for him to join Brisbane in 1993? That would of been Brisbanes 1st year at the Gabba. That would of been no different on Helping the Sydney Swans get Tony Lockett.

Shane Bond, Braydon Lyle, Brad Ebert, are also good former WCE Eagle players to returned to Port from the top of my head

Fair enough, and no disrespect to those blokes but that's why I said "notable". Ebo was a great young player for us and I was disappointed to see him go, and Port definitely did the right thing by trading him for draft picks. Shane Bond was probably lucky to get his flag with West Coast in 1994 and he retired early due to injuries, and Lyle I think only played a few seasons for you guys as well?

Fair enough, and no disrespect to those blokes but that's why I said "notable". Ebo was a great young player for us and I was disappointed to see him go, and Port definitely did the right thing by trading him for draft picks. Shane Bond was probably lucky to get his flag with West Coast in 1994 and he retired early due to injuries, and Lyle I think only played a few seasons for you guys as well?
It’s true those 3 came home pretty early. Bond was just injured early but was always considered for selection when fit, Lyle had a tough run trying to break into a dominant midfield and Ebo was always coming home.
Port and West Coast have had a tight relationship for many years - from guys in the early 90s like David Hynes to your current captain with many in between.

Even Daniel Kerr’s old man played in a SANFL premiership with Port...

WCE has done really well.

It’s true those 3 came home pretty early. Bond was just injured early but was always considered for selection when fit, Lyle had a tough run trying to break into a dominant midfield and Ebo was always coming home.
Port and West Coast have had a tight relationship for many years - from guys in the early 90s like David Hynes to your current captain with many in between.

Roger Kerr played at Port Adelaide for the money for one season then he went home to Perth.
Ebert didnt like getting dropped by the Eagles in 2011 and went to Port for more opportunitys.

We haven't lost a player back to Perth since the 60s until Tim Kelly so everyone in that period.

Brian Peake doesn't count because he was a s**t campaigner.

Love the Mayo............

Shannon Hurn is a Central Districts Boy

We haven't lost a player back to Perth since the 60s until Tim Kelly so everyone in that period.

Brian Peake doesn't count because he was a s**t campaigner.

Stephen O’Reilly to the OG Dockers.

————

FWIW There is the occasional player who wants to play outside his state.

In the documentary The Draft (where Des Headland, Brendan Fevola and Adam Ramanauskas were followed from their last year at U18 level through to their first 1-2 AFL seasons) it was interesting to see Ramanauskas showed a desire to NOT be drafted by a Victorian team. IIRC. Headland did not want to leave WA. Fevola didn’t seem too worried about where he went IIRC.

——

Is Nick Davis the only Sydney raised player to seek a return home?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never realized Luke Darcy was a SA boy. Pretty impressive he played out his entire career at the Dogs during a period we weren't very successful (you could say that about almost any era of the Dogs though ha).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back