• Darcy Fogarty

• Brodie Smith

• Lachie Sholl

• Tom Doedee

• Jordon Butts

• Reilly O'Brien

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Last two Coleman’s, arguably the most impressive rising star winner, last years Brownlow. One of the best fullbacks in the business. They have a lot right

Unfortunately for them, below around their top 15 it falls away pretty quickly

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
also always thought they susceptible to good team football, which is exactly what we produced

they have a few links in chain that breakdown

in terms of star players prob they have as many as anyone

Don’t underestimate ROB’s influence against Carlton at centre bounce. I noticed a number of times he just stood in the way with his arms out create an open path for Laird and Dawson to get the ground ball. ROB did a lot of “non statistical” bullocking work in that game

I didn't take notice of that due to being mesmerised by the ball movement from us...BUT....I have noticed ROB generally being far more assertive and "urgent" in his ground ball game.

I've bagged ROB in the past but I agree with you, he's showing much stronger form again.

Interestingly, with the game opening up, and fewer ball-ups ....those bigger midfield's may not be the way of the future ....particularly if, as expected, the last touch rule is brought in

Cripps is a clearance beast ....but not a known contested mark ....or his kicking

Dawson, is better known as a contested mark ....and elite kick ...not so much as a clearance beast

As I've spruiked infinitum over 10 years ....I love a contested marking midfielder .....we've finally got one, and doesn't it make a difference

it's not his contested marking that's making the difference, it's his ability find time, elite decision making and then disposal. In the last 2 weeks he's had exactly zero contested marks. You've banged on about eliminating mids based upon contested marking fir over 10 years and for over 10 years you've been deluded. Even if Dawson coukdnt take a contested mark, as he hasn't the last 2 weeks, he still makes a massive difference.

He actually played some minutes inside mid round 1 2022 vs Freo in the first half

Was his first game for new club and wasn’t quite himself until moved to half back later in the same game as we needed someone to stem tide

Then not seen in there again until this years showdown
And all PS before his injury the talk was he was dominating mids

Think it was the plan, then like yiu say it didn’t fire early but when moved it just worked and we played safe

Took 12months and the C title for Dawson to feel confident enough to tell Nicks the time is now

And all PS before his injury the talk was he was dominating mids

Think it was the plan, then like yiu say it didn’t fire early but when moved it just worked and we played safe

Took 12months and the C title for Dawson to feel confident enough to tell Nicks the time is now
And an 0-2 start

Last two Coleman’s, arguably the most impressive rising star winner, last years Brownlow. One of the best fullbacks in the business. They have a lot right

Unfortunately for them, below around their top 15 it falls away pretty quickly

Curnow, Mackay, Cripps (although he's showing signs of being banged up already), Walsh and Weitering. The rest is utter garbage.

I don't rate Saad at all, just another vanilla HBF who can't actually defend.
Fair enough. We all have opinions. Good to hear yours.

I'd happily swap him for Brodie Smith.
And I'd swap Doedee for Docherty notwithstanding any age difference.

Interestingly, with the game opening up, and fewer ball-ups ....those bigger midfield's may not be the way of the future ....particularly if, as expected, the last touch rule is brought in

Cripps is a clearance beast ....but not a known contested mark ....or his kicking

Dawson, is better known as a contested mark ....and elite kick ...not so much as a clearance beast

As I've spruiked infinitum over 10 years ....I love a contested marking midfielder .....we've finally got one, and doesn't it make a difference
Contested marking midfielders that average 0.7 and 0.8 contested marks a game across their respective careers?

Don’t underestimate ROB’s influence against Carlton at centre bounce. I noticed a number of times he just stood in the way with his arms out create an open path for Laird and Dawson to get the ground ball. ROB did a lot of “non statistical” bullocking work in that game

There was a passage that stood out like Dogballs to me.

After we kicked the first goal. Dawson gets the ball with Cripps on his tail. ROB is wide open, but stationary. Dawson makes the right decision and ignores ROB which was 100% the right call. He botched the kick, but got a lucky bounce and it resulted in a goal.

It just really stood out. Last year I feel that players like Crouch/Keays would have handballed directly to a stationary ROB and we would have lost all forward momentum.

Thats a weird correlation.

Petrecca and Oliver have combined for 1 contested mark in 2023. Dawson had zero contested marks the last two games when he was so influetnial in the middle.

Which contested marking midfielders do you rate in particular?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing is, it was so obvious how we could benefit from his delivery to our forwards. Not sure how many times I had to argue this.

His kicking is a weapon but he’s offering so much more than that too. Sensational player.
I DID have him as a wingman in my pre-season best 22 ...

But yeah - I have to be honest. I genuinely didn't think he'd be this good as a pure mid.

Last edited:
But why didn't he get more time playing mid for Sydney's twos?

Fantastic he is there now.
Sydney are a bit weird with introducing new players into the midfield.

Even guys like Heeney and Campbell don't seem to get much of a run in there.

I know I’m enjoying this, but hmm, hands up if you wanted him in defence 🤔
I said I didn't mind him in defence as he's super reliable in the air and by foot (I didn't like that we were using him for kick outs one game). In the modern game a hbf can easily be delivering to the forwards as well.

I am surprised how seamlessly he's transitioned into a pure stoppage onballer in literally 1 game. He doesn't just sit outside and wait for handball receives.

Having a more stable defence helps, but his ability in the centre square has transformed us.

I actually don't mind Silvagni as a player. Whenever I see him play he rarely does anything wrong and does the 1%ers really well.
I think he looks a depth player, not terrible & capable of coming in to play a role but I wouldn't be thrilled with him being a first choice player. As you say effort is always there.

Contested marking midfielders that average 0.7 and 0.8 contested marks a game across their respective careers?
It's not about the quantity .....it's when & where those marks are taken ....also factors in intercept marks

Maybe I should have qualified what I interpret as a contested mark

If you don't believe ROB and Dawson taking contested / intercept marks doesn't help the team .......fine, that's your opinion

It's not about the quantity .....it's when & where those marks are taken ....also factors in intercept marks

Maybe I should have qualified what I interpret as a contested mark

If you don't believe ROB and Dawson taking contested / intercept marks doesn't help the team .......fine, that's your opinion
Come on Wayne you spruked “and doesn’t it make a difference” as if that’s what Dawson did despite not taking one contested mark.

Why you bringing ROB into it? He didn’t. Misrepresenting again?

Back