• Darcy Fogarty

• Brodie Smith

• Lachie Sholl

• Tom Doedee

• Jordon Butts

• Reilly O'Brien

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not about the quantity .....it's when & where those marks are taken ....also factors in intercept marks

Maybe I should have qualified what I interpret as a contested mark

If you don't believe ROB and Dawson taking contested / intercept marks doesn't help the team .......fine, that's your opinion
Nobody has said contested marks don't help but it's way down the list of important attributes for a midfielder...I also note you've now brought intercept marks into the dfiscussion that wasn't mentioned in the quote I replied to. ROB is a ruckman.

Nobody has said contested marks don't help but it's way down the list of important attributes for a midfielder...I also note you've now brought intercept marks into the dfiscussion that wasn't mentioned in the quote I replied to. ROB is a ruckman.
My opinion is, you always need one good overhead mark in your midfield .....I not saying, it has to be an attribute of all midfielders ...clearly Laird as an example brings elite 2-3 mtr radius ball gathering

It's been a component, why I believe a tall big bodied mid was required .....it's always about the midfield mix & getting away from that terminology of midfield sameness, which has often been used to describe our midfield

ROB was brought into the post, due to the questioning of the value of contested marks in a team .....and maybe I haven't been clear, I lump intercept marks / contested marks into the one box .....as against uncontested marks

Fair enough. We all have opinions. Good to hear yours.

I'd happily swap him for Brodie Smith.
And I'd swap Doedee for Docherty notwithstanding any age difference.
Adelaide have shown Saad is very easily negated. No idea why other teams don't do the same. Surely now we have done it twice in a row others will follow suit.

And an 0-2 start

Absolutely this. Lose first two games

Dawson puts heat on senior players in media

Goes to Nicks and pushes for midfield and then led aggressively from the front in the Showdown and went so well they have kept it going

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
My opinion is, you always need one good overhead mark in your midfield .....I not saying, it has to be an attribute of all midfielders ...clearly Laird as an example brings elite 2-3 mtr radius ball gathering

It's been a component, why I believe a tall big bodied mid was required .....it's always about the midfield mix & getting away from that terminology of midfield sameness, which has often been used to describe our midfield

ROB was brought into the post, due to the questioning of the value of contested marks in a team .....and maybe I haven't been clear, I lump intercept marks / contested marks into the one box .....as against uncontested marks
Who is not valuing contested marks in a team?

You’ve gone from talking up Dawsons impact due to his contested marking when there was none, to then bringing ROB into it and now claiming posters were questioning contested marking in a team, a point no one has made.

I swear Wayne you seriously have a comprehension problem, the amount of times you misrepresent the arguments being made is a concern, either that or you’re deliberately doing it to try and win the discussion, which isn’t cool if that’s the case.

Been Keaysed once again.

His workrate is going to test many other half backs...
The matchup I’m most keen to see is him vs Daicos. Both have elite endurance, but Daicos has the better foot skills and footy IQ.

If he can limit Daicos uncontested possssions, I’d consider that an absolute win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide have shown Saad is very easily negated. No idea why other teams don't do the same. Surely now we have done it twice in a row others will follow suit.
Adelaide didn't shut down Saad. The Round 20 game last year is in his top 10 games for disposals.

It's much more accurate to say Adelaide ignored him and just told his direct opponent (Keays) to attack. A rare Dangerfield vs Fyfe situation where Adelaide came out ahead.

Adelaide didn't shut down Saad. The Round 20 game last year is in his top 10 games for disposals.

It's much more accurate to say Adelaide ignored him and just told his direct opponent (Keays) to attack. A rare Dangerfield vs Fyfe situation where Adelaide came out ahead.
0E5E0A9E-BD72-4E3A-8B45-31FA1C35482E.gif

Eh, shutting down a player isn't just stopping him getting disposals, it's just as much preventing them from being harmful. As much as Saad got 26 disposals, he didn't do anything with them, seeing we restricted him to 1 score involvement, his fifth lowest kick efficiency and middling meters gained - resulting in one of Saads lowest meters gained per disposals in '22. Effectively suffocating Carltons ability to counterattack, seeing Saad is who they're building that part of the game around. Something we repeated last weekend, to equally devastating effect.

Carlton or Sadd wouldn't give two shits in the grand scheme of things if Keays just attacked, even if he kicked three goals in the trade off. Three goals isn't much to give up to have your best playmaker free to do what he wants in a position where he can control the counter-attacking part of the offense (seeing you effectively take the opposition generating repeat entries off the table). What stung was Keays - alongside Adelaides structures - made Saad ineffective and kicked three goals. That's a left, right, goodnight to Carltons hopes of winning.

Last edited:
The matchup I’m most keen to see is him vs Daicos. Both have elite endurance, but Daicos has the better foot skills and footy IQ.

If he can limit Daicos uncontested possssions, I’d consider that an absolute win.

Daicos had 42 touches in Gather round - 6 contested! 6
Coaches are stupid. And the week after he shirked a couple of physical contests against the Lions
Personally I would put the hardest of hard tags on him. Last year he had 40 and kicked 3 goals in a 5 point win over us.
I would actually like to see Chayce on him to smash him every time he touches the footy

I sai

I didn't say he was shut down, I said he was negated. Ie his output was cancelled out by having 3 goals kicked on him.

Coaches are stupid. And the week after he shirked a couple of physical contests against the Lions
Personally I would put the hardest of hard tags on him. Last year he had 40 and kicked 3 goals in a 5 point win over us.
I would actually like to see Chayce on him to smash him every time he touches the footy

Agreed. He's a receiver who doesn't like his hair style disturbed by rough play. Arrogant with it.
Smash him.

"No need for taggers, we'll beat him playing our way." - Most coaches

No you ******* won't!

There are some players you can let accumulate as they cause no damage (Matt Crouch) but others set up play. Ignoring key play makers and letting them run around unchecked because "our system is excellent" or some s**t is a bad strategy.

Daicos needs to be tagged so hard he never forgets playing against us

Agreed. He's a receiver who doesn't like his hair style disturbed by rough play. Arrogant with it.
Smash him.
"No need for taggers, we'll beat him playing our way." - Most coaches

No you ******* won't!

There are some players you can let accumulate as they cause no damage (Matt Crouch) but others set up play. Ignoring key play makers and letting them run around unchecked because "our system is excellent" or some s**t is a bad strategy.

Daicos needs to be tagged so hard he never forgets playing against us
Are you suggesting we get Cam Sutcliffe to terrorise him?

Some good analysis from one of the Carlton posters - put a fair amount of work in

This is some of the best analysis of a game I've ever seen. Much better than most TV analysis.
Well worth watching.

Huge credit to the creator (Carlton supporter) for a razor sharp commentary without being a whinging sore loser. 10/10 mate. Well done!

I wonder what this guy would charge to create one of these each week focussing on the Crows? If he did, it would be instantly my #1 replay/review.

Back