Review Good vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

its like the AFL wanted to rub a bit more salt into Carlton's wounds by putting up this about Shane McAdam. Elite in a few areas in what is really his first season of AFL after cutting his teeth last year in the SANFL side

Pyke was a massive problem, he seemed obsessed with playing senior players - when it's pretty clear bringing in young players can positively impact results.

I kind of get 2018 as it felt like we could still compete but I agree with 2019 especially when a number of the Senior players were under performing. The team needed an injection of youth last year.

Lads I've just got home after a s**t week and would you believe it, the mighty Crows have done it again!
Was really worried mid season in a s**t of a year with not knowing what's happeing, but to get this reward at the end, bloody fantastic to see a whole lot of light coming through in the youngsters, seniors actually standing up and picks coming through.
Love you all, go the bloody Crowies!

Who the bloody hell would drink Riesling? 😳. Self indulgence? These are folk that have supported the club financially in a pandemic (while many got refunds) turned up to every game despite the fact they were winless. That’s not self indulgent. That’s supporting. Be nice for the lads just to Give a nod and quick clap to acknowledge that level of support.
I do with some nice seafood

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Firstly I have nothing to do with Champion Data, and they keep their algorithm a secret.

Secondly are you really telling me Matt Crouch does not have a habit of racking up a lot of disposals and doing nothing with them? Matt is certainly capable of those games, as damage from his disposals tends to be the first thing that goes of the moment he drops off slightly.

Thirdly I don't care if Matt racks up coaches votes when he is in form in regards to this. That is completely irrelevant seeing we're talking about just today. Today saw a player who usually ends up in the top portion of the CD ratings when we play come near the bottom, despite on the surface (i.e. disposals) it looks rather unjustified. That either means the CD algorithm was skewed to certain aspects which Matt didn't do, or Matt really had a game that the second you got past the shallow metric that is disposals, it really wasn't that crash hot. I do suspect the former, not the latter, but I could certainly accept an argument for the latter. There are definitely a few red flags in that stat line (namely, how little of Matts disposals were contested, and how little meters gained he racked up for the amount of disposals he had, seeing he was averaging 7.8 m per disposal) and I'd assume any algorithm would be designed to punish players who seem to be playing like a seagull.
You've done a lot of guessing here, and have taken a simplistic view ......the way Champion Data measure performances is in no way a secret .....if you follow SuperCoach or Fantasy AFL , you would know how players are measured

Anyway, in terms of your assessment, SuperCoach is the closest measurement tool, which favors contested ball, disposal efficiency and game impact .......simply disposals is not a measurement at all, sorry mate

If you want to discuss today, you do know Curnow was on M.Crouch a proportion of the day, starting originally on Laird
Why is this noteworthy .....well you're right historically teams haven't tagged Crouch or Tom Mitchell ...their disposals have minimal hurt factor

He is not, or never will be a strong mtrs gained player ......his ratio of contested ball to uncontested hasn't changed much, although he was down today

What has changed is his pressure on the player with the ball ....tackling numbers are up, but to say he has changed his game off 4 games is too small a snapshot ...but there's enough evidence there he is not crabbing and is attempting to handball & kick forward more .....he's still a work in progress, and he still regress's in periods of games back to those dinky handballs .....but you can see he's trying to change his game, and he'll be more dangerous as a result

1599988237811.png

Remember when people here didn’t want us to win at all? GWS are irrelevant, but how bloody good is beating Carlton and Hawthorn?

He and ROB have been unbelievably good. Really impressive from both of them. Can’t remember the last time we’ve had that.

You've done a lot of guessing here, and have taken a simplistic view ......the way Champion Data measure performances is in no way a secret .....if you follow SuperCoach or Fantasy AFL , you would know how players are measured

Anyway, in terms of your assessment, SuperCoach is the closest measurement tool, which favors contested ball, disposal efficiency and game impact .......simply disposals is not a measurement at all, sorry mate

If you want to discuss today, you do know Curnow was on M.Crouch a proportion of the day, starting originally on Laird
Why is this noteworthy .....well you're right historically teams haven't tagged Crouch or Tom Mitchell ...their disposals have minimal hurt factor

He is not, or never will be a strong mtrs gained player ......his ratio of contested ball to uncontested hasn't changed much, although he was down today

What has changed is his pressure on the player with the ball ....tackling numbers are up, but to say he has changed his game off 4 games is too small a snapshot ...but there's enough evidence there he is not crabbing and is attempting to handball & kick forward more .....he's still a work in progress, and he still regress's in periods of games back to those dinky handballs .....but you can see he's trying to change his game, and he'll be more dangerous as a result

View attachment 960606

2 out of 4 ain’t bad 🙂. But it’s been a change in pressure across the board. It’s been that effort that Matt and Brad have started to put in that I’ve really appreciated. They seem to give a s**t again.

Fog needs to have a big pre season and get leaner. Next year has to be his breakout year.
Interestingly, in the pre game warm up today both Fog and Himmelberg we’re practicing drills where the ball comes in for a marking contest and they brought it to ground for the small crumbing player. so they weren’t trying to mark it, but bring the smalls into the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back