Review Good vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Although he does tackle as much as Atkins. But that will change as he puts on size.

No guarantee it will. Tackling is more mindset then size.

At least I'm decently confident he has the right head coach for it, because Nicks has so far placed a premium on pressure.

Really got the jump on them today. The pressure and system was at the level again. Probably should've won by more but missed some gettable opportunities. Sholl, Schoey, MCrouch, McAdam all extremely good. Sloane turning in to a real general put there. Can see him on the periphery barking orders and directing. Liking his improvement there.

Games Played in 2019

Rory Atkins - 20
Jake Kelly - 22
David Mackay - 18
Riley Knight - 15
Bryce Gibbs - 12
Josh Jenkins - 11
Richard Douglas - 9

Elliott Himmelberg - 7
Darcy Fogarty - 4
Tyson Stengle - 2
Shane McAdam - 0
Lachlan Sholl - 0
Will Hamill - 0
Jordon Butts - 0
Ned McHenry - 0

What the * were we thinking last year?

Games Played in 2019

Rory Atkins - 20
Jake Kelly - 22
David Mackay - 18
Riley Knight - 15
Bryce Gibbs - 12
Josh Jenkins - 11
Richard Douglas - 9

Elliott Himmelberg - 7
Darcy Fogarty - 4
Tyson Stengle - 2
Shane McAdam - 0
Lachlan Sholl - 0
Will Hamill - 0
Jordon Butts - 0
Ned McHenry - 0

What the fu** were we thinking last year?
"Just make the 8 and anything can happen"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably as good a result as we could have had. Wasnt in our interest for the margin to blow out, but we've got a win and on the road.

The end of the season will have been important for the kids in our team, both in terms of bonding and having overcome adversity. Hopefully they've built some confidence on the back of it.
It went through my mind at half time....do we want to win...yes. Do we want to win by a huge margin like say 70 points...no. Did we take our foot off the pedal...I cant say for sure but I reckon we did. Now for next week. We will more than likely lose but North could get thrashed by the Eagles. Could that result with our percentage being better than Norths. I want pick 1 so I hope we lose by 20-30 without being demoralised.

No tackles today, has the potential to be an Atkins type whipping boy in the future. Looks exciting though
Agree. As much as we are loving some of these young players, it won’t take long before supporters start criticising Sholl for not tackling, Keays for having no finesse and Schoenberg for hack kicks. But in the meantime extremely enjoyable to watch

No tackles today, has the potential to be an Atkins type whipping boy in the future. Looks exciting though

Putting your head over the ball is more courageous than making a tackle.
BF does have this insatiable thirst to have whipping boys, not for me.
Don’t think Scholl will end up a whipping boy but time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Games Played in 2019

Rory Atkins - 20
Jake Kelly - 22
David Mackay - 18
Riley Knight - 15
Bryce Gibbs - 12
Josh Jenkins - 11
Richard Douglas - 9

Elliott Himmelberg - 7
Darcy Fogarty - 4
Tyson Stengle - 2
Shane McAdam - 0
Lachlan Sholl - 0
Will Hamill - 0
Jordon Butts - 0
Ned McHenry - 0

What the fu** were we thinking last year?

The same thing they were thinking at the start of this year until 'oh but we're rebuilding' was the only narrative they could spin which forced them to play the kids.

Agree. As much as we are loving some of these young players, it won’t take long before supporters start criticising Sholl for not tackling, Keays for having no finesse and Schoenberg for hack kicks. But in the meantime extremely enjoyable to watch

You mean supporters will want players to develop beyond their skills as rookies with experience gained?

Those unreasonable bastards.

Winning the spoon really isn't that big a deal as long as you bounce back from it. Nobody cares/remembers about the years when Hawthorn, West Coast or Sydney were basketcases.
We aren't a true worst team. New coach, new gameplay, covid, shortened season, no match simulation at training etc has caused us to be down the bottom. I would say our true marker is around 13th-15th. We will reap the benefits of being down the bottom which is about time we had some luck. Next year I can see us winning anywhere from 5 to 8 matches.

Yup. They're ticking every box now, but the longer they're in the big league the more that'll be expected of them. It's all well and good for someone like Sholl to not get a tackle at 7 games, but at 90 games its a disaster.

There’s been some decent work done on the opposition to get the results.
I've been thinking a lot about this since vs GWS when a game plan was clearly on show --- keep them out of the corridor, well-marshalled by Sloane.
Vs The Bleahs, they had a 5-day turnover and a long flight on match day, early start. Would not have slept well, or enough.
I think the plan was to go full bore in the first half while they still had energy, then play more possession footy and slow it down after half time as they tired, maybe with enough of a half-time lead to hold them out. Dunno; might be tired hindsight by me (went fishing after the game, home at midnight, knackered).
Butts and a couple others definitely tired in the backlines. Not sure why, but Carlton looked taller in their F50 + that McKay can clunk a grab. Did he take a mark over Sholl in the third?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back