Review Good vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

One thing that is exciting is that I think the core of our future forward line all provide different and complementary attacking threats.

Himmelberg, Fogarty, McAdam and Stengle are all very different players and if we can just (1) wean ourselves off of the old guard (Walker, Lynch) (2) give them decent supply and delivery and (3) round them out with two more good pieces (rangy 3rd tall [see Oscar Allen] plus highly skilled two way running half forward [see Steele Sidebottom]) then I think we can kick a winning score more often than not.

2 weeks or 4 weeks, it’s still dramatic

It’s the same administration, and that’s what I’m getting at. Feels like the first 10 games were a protest, then the prospect of being a winless team finally got them into gear.
OR

It was a new team coming together with a coach with a different philosophy and game plan to what we'd played before.... and a year ruined by COVID which meant for much of this year we haven't been able to do full team training. A brand new coach that maybe didn't know how best to communicate what it is he wanted....

And now, all of a sudden, we find ourselves all in the same chapter and moving closer to being on the same page.

One thing that is exciting is that I think the core of our future forward line all provide different and complementary attacking threats.

Himmelberg, Fogarty, McAdam and Stengle are all very different players and if we can just (1) wean ourselves off of the old guard (Walker, Lynch) (2) give them decent supply and delivery and (3) round them out with two more good pieces (rangy 3rd tall [see Oscar Allen] plus highly skilled two way running half forward [see Steele Sidebottom]) then I think we can kick a winning score more often than not.
Does that mean bye bye Frampton; or do we turn him into a Lynch type player?

We're probably no different to any other supporters, but people generally call for rebuilds and lack the patience that comes with having lots of young players.

People are quick to write off Jones and Fog. If Himmelberg and Keays can improve out of sight, then you would have to be confident that Fog and Jones will be fine (obviously not guaranteed).

McHenry is one who hasn't really shown anything. But given how wrong I've been on Himm, Keays and McAdam, I'm not going to make a call for a while.

Nah McHenry has. Got some very good spacial awareness, seems intelligent with the ball in hand and will be an amazing player defensively.

His main issue is he really doesn't have the body for the type of role he'll be yet and is kind of struggling as a forward. Really needs to gain weight this preseason.

I think McHenry needs to find some balance to his game. If he is a fitness machine I feel at his size perhaps he needs to shelve the physical stuff and play an outside running game. But for me he needs some more sanfl development.

On VOG-L09 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pushing McHenry outside is a death sentence to his career. He doesn't have the game for it at all. Not quick enough nor is his kick damaging enough.

He needs to be doubling down on the physical stuff and force himself to be in Lairds role in the short to mid term. Or at least a rotation for Laird.

Geoffa32 said: " We are far from the worst team in the comp. ".

On form, agreed :thumbsu: :).
On results/%/ladder position, can't agree. Crows were a rabble until Bulldogs game, better against Cats, now two good wins.

I said 4 weeks ago there were two things stopping us being a decent football side, competing in the air and clean foot skills.
2 areas we weren't AFL standard.

The last few weeks we have done these things really quite well. The improvement has been quite staggering.

Tex, Fog and Berg look like they can judge the ball now and a confident mcadam causes a lot of headaches

Theres little confusion now about who is flying and when and where teammates are relative to the ball.

Yes we made some errors kicking but the style of game last night was meant it was tough to hit clean open players. GWS have far more 'renowned' players than ours and we made them look 2nd rate.

If Sholl builds his tank I can see him becoming a Whitfield type player for us, just not quite as much pace
I dunno if it's been answered but Sholl is already one of our top runners overall and at pace per the Telstra Tracker. He's consistently in and around the top 5 on the park. It's more his size and strength which needs development.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah Frampton is the next lucky recipient of the Angus Graham memorial list position for ruck depth we pray we never have to use but know we'll immediately regret delisting without getting a replacement.

I said 4 weeks ago there were two things stopping us being a decent football side, competing in the air and clean foot skills.
2 areas we weren't AFL standard.
Well, there was also effort, not fumbling, tackling, goal kicking, gameplan, confidence, handballing, spatial awareness, coaching and fitness.

But yeah, I get your point about aerial competition and kicking.

It means he's depth until the key forward we draft with this years first pick is fit enough to run out a game.
Not really, it means he's ruck/forward depth until the end of 2022 unless we're prepared to pay out his contract.

1) Positioning has improved.
2) Laird is one of a few who has completely shocked me this year. He was an absolute machine in the midfield last night. Does it all as an inside midfielder. Starting to re think my idea of trading him unless it comes with a hefty return.
Really good post.
1) I think the mids are more mobile now too, maybe learned a trick or two from Keays in there and the revelation that is Laird :heavycheck:. RoB is tapping to mids-on-the-move (were static earlier), huge difference!
2) Even when Laird's early HB form was inexplicably poor, I never understood, or agreed with, calls to trade him.
He's a keeper now, surely? (will improve in the new role, too)

OR

It was a new team coming together with a coach with a different philosophy and game plan to what we'd played before.... and a year ruined by COVID which meant for much of this year we haven't been able to do full team training. A brand new coach that maybe didn't know how best to communicate what it is he wanted....

And now, all of a sudden, we find ourselves all in the same chapter and moving closer to being on the same page.
No, that doesnt explain senior players stinking it up as badly as they did.

Really good post.
1) I think the mids are more mobile now too, maybe learned a trick or two from Keays in there and the revelation that is Laird :heavycheck:. RoB is tapping to mids-on-the-move (were static earlier), huge difference!
2) Even when Laird's early HB form was inexplicably poor, I never understood, or agreed with, calls to trade him.
He's a keeper now, surely? (will improve in the new role, too)
I was open to trading laird earlier in the year because I believed that he could still get us a decent pick given the residual effects of his form in his AA year and 2018 BnF. Still young enough as well. He'd really lost his touch in defence as well. As the year has progressed and his move to the midfield looked to be successful I was even more in this camp due to the fact that I was convinced he could get us something good in return and that he is a fairly replaceable player. My thinking was/is that we need to be a bit ruthless to get that real top end talent. Trading Kelly isn't the answer.

However, my opinion has started to change as he is now looking more like a serious midfielder as each week passes. He's proving incredibly strong over the ball, a clearance machine and a fantastic tackler. Pretty much a direct replacement for Brouch (maybe better) but he's already on the list.

Or do we tell Billy to put all his focus into his ruckcraft and have him be our set #2 ruckman rather then Strachan. He's on the list for 2 more years regardless, only 2 cm shorter then ROB. Will probably need to put some more muscle on though.

I didn't see him ruck too much during the season, but I remember thinking he wasn't completely out of his depth in the preseason. Definitely seemed to be a ruck upgrade on JJ (low bar).

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want him to play much, but it might squeeze some value out of him in a break glass in emergency kind of way!

Meanwhile here's what you said about Elliot Himmelberg just 2 months ago.

You were wrong about him like you are wrong about everything, lol.
Two months ago himmelburg had shown absolutely *n nothing..

Be fair to say no one saw himmelbergs current form coming.. he showed * all in four years even in most of his sanfl matches..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back