• Wayne Milera

• Darcy Fogarty

• Brodie Smith

• Lachlan Sholl

• Jordon Butts

• Reilly O'Brien

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think what they've both said, is that it was something they discussed and wanted to implement at some point. And it was Dawson who went into Nick's office before the Port game and said, I think we should do it this weekend.
Pretty sure in the last interview I heard from Dawson. He said words to the effect that it wasn’t planned, he didn’t train there preseason and he thought the midfield needed a different balance.
Nothing I’ve heard sounded like it was in nicks thoughts at all.

I've been reading the discussion re: youth development in the midfield vs. the notion that Nicks et al prefer the senior players (Dawson/ Laird/ Sloane/ Keays) to developing youth, with great interest.
There are those who use (I should say "resort to") sarcasm and ridicule, thinking that strengthens their argument. It doesn't, and often weakens the several other good points that they make:

Laird/Dawson/Sloane/Keays do not have a "complete monopoly" of midfield time. It's Nicks who decides where they play and he has clearly rotated youth through there depending on their fitness, capabilities and actual effect.
Others remain calm (NSolis especially) on the basis that opinions are just an expression of a point-of-view, based on subjective beliefs about what works for the team:

but this next post shows why expressing an opinion and backing it up with info/facts/data will never sway its author:

I'm not sure that he means "it's important for Nicks to get it right" --- I suspect he's saying that it's important that he is "right".
That might sound like I am having a go Southerntakeover. I'm not, because a lot of his posting is very interesting and can be insightful. It's just that a balanced and objective approach will never sway someone who just wants to be right.
I'll try to explain further:
There's a lot of heated differences of opinion recently about Ben Keays, Sloane and also Sholl (Tex was a hot topic as well, with many saying he was too old, too slow and hindering the development of the other tall forwards, but they've gone quiet lately --- 28 + 10 goals will do that).
The poll above is interesting. Exactly 50% think Smith played well (I wasn't one of them) and many votes are close to that 50-50 split.
Re: Sholl, many think he has a job to do and does it well. I think Sholl is slow, physically weak, gets rag-dolled easily, and is contact averse: ineffective when the heat is on. Many disagree, which is fine, because Nicks & Co, have the final say anyway and our opinions carry no weight in the matter.

It's just discussion/banter/points-of-view ie Opinions.

Fwiw, I used to think that Nicks was under-using our talented youth and hindering the midfield-development of Rachele/Soligo/Pedlar and to a certain extent Rankine by resorting to the favoured Laird/Dawson/Sloane/Keays combo.
I'm now of the opinion that he's being very patient with their development, as many other Clubs have been with theirs ie I've been swayed by the very good, clear, objective and well-explained posting of NSolis , Danger in Texas , and WaynesWorld19 and others. The collective weight of their posts has changed my mind.
Very few 19-22 year old players hit the ground running, as mids. Some posters have said (heatedly) that Nicks should have given Rachele/Soligo/Pedlar more CBAs in the second half of last week's annihilation of WCE. I think it's clear that he was actually going for the jugular to wring every drop of % that he could get out of the win. Our opinions aside, what Nicks did, worked.
According to the two Coaches (whose own opinions matter more than ours, because of their jobs and experience) our best 4 players after the standout Walker were --- guess whom?
Dawson/Laird/Sloane/Keays :sneaky:.
Yet two of the latter are consistently criticised, unfairly in my opinion, because their critics think they are rubbish with virtually no redeeming features, while ignoring their actual contributions.

Opinions are neither right nor wrong.
I'm pretty sure I'm right about that :shoutyoldman:. Uhhh, wait ... :whistle:

At any point during your novella do any of the characters explain to you patiently that the CBA numbers posted in full are not opinion?

Pretty sure in the last interview I heard from Dawson. He said words to the effect that it wasn’t planned, he didn’t train there preseason and he thought the midfield needed a different balance.
I've heard the opposite more than once.

I think what they've both said, is that it was something they discussed and wanted to implement at some point. And it was Dawson who went into Nick's office before the Port game and said, I think we should do it this weekend.
Seem to recall Dawson and Nicks both commenting that Jordan 'demanded to go into the midfield' was an a massive exaggeration

TTs 2nd efforts and 1%ers were terrific in this game. The lad is about to fulfil his promise.
All played well and hard to see anyone dropped for the Pies.
Only negative for me was the inability of any of our big forwards to take pack marks. Fog had both hands on a few. Another day he will take them.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

At any point during your novella ...
Droll. Just GOTTA have your little digs, doncha? :sneaky: Can't help yourself.
... do any of the characters explain to you patiently that the CBA numbers posted in full are not opinion?
"Characters"? What?

Yes, the CBA numbers posted are not opinion. They're facts; hard numbers.
BUT
The differing conclusions that are drawn (by you and those that disagree) from those same numbers are opinions, not facts.

TTs 2nd efforts and 1%ers were terrific in this game. The lad is about to fulfil his promise.
All played well and hard to see anyone dropped for the Pies.
Only negative for me was the inability of any of our big forwards to take pack marks. Fog had both hands on a few. Another day he will take them.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I agree re Thilthorpe.
However, Tex's first goal was from an overhead, contested mark, and I reckon he took at least a couple others.

Last edited:
At this point in time I don't think Berry is a potential A grader. He is AFL quality though. He just hasn't been in great form. That'll change, as it will with Schoenberg.
Good, cos we need quality depth.

We have done as well as we have with a very minimal injury list so far. Shame it's kept opportunity away from these guys, but it's been an odd year on that front.

The other thing we need is just general improvement - A -> Elite, B -> A, etc. Still missing a few elites, and can't carry too many B graders in a premiership team.

Ugly (or Hilarious?): Kane Cornes lamenting that the Coleman Medal is "skewed" this year if Walker wins it because Adelaide get West Coast twice.
Tex is residing cranially without financial liability within Kornes

Schoenberg's a weird one, I think I'm at the point where I want to see him for a three-game run, then if he can't cement his place, trade him

Keays is a weird one, looks like he's been plugged back in that full-time mid role, for now. Has been good since making the move back, but still needs to gradually make way for Pedlar over the next 18 months

Happy for Rash to continue in his current role for the rest of the season if it means increasing his effectiveness (with maybe the occasional game with bigger midfield minutes to keep him hungry), continuing to build his tank over the next 9 months, before starting off 2024 with a bang
Looking forward to Rachele/ Pedlar playing > 50% mid eventually

Soligo I see as Laird long term replacement , pure mid and get some size around him

I think for a long while we've made good, long term, tough calls with our list management that don't necessarily match up with our weekly selections.

So now we've ended up with a very young squad overall (looking to the future) but with a coaching group that looks towards Saturday. This stretches back decades - even delisting Hart and Torney, so it's not a new thing. More recently seeing players like Douglas/DMac play every game in non-finals years right up until they're delisted.

We're running a young team but thanks to our list management the selectors can't make it older, no matter what they'd prefer. Even then though they've tried desperately despite all semblance of logic needing to be thrown out (T Brown in, Crouch recalled, Himmelberg > Thilthorpe, no rests for Sloane).

There seems to be a disassociation between list management and selection that has to be a deliberate strategy.

Deep down I think that the coaches know we need to revamp our midfield and that Pedlar, Rachele, Soligo should be getting significant time there. We sort of started the season off that way. Sloane off the wing/bench, Keays at half forward, more kids in the middle.

However Keays would rather play midfield. Sloane would rather play midfield. And our coaches would rather play them there. So they look for any excuse to go back to their preferred set up. Keays follows Daicos in there for a few bounces and suddenly it's a permanent thing. Sloane had a big Q4 vs Hawthorn, Soligo's form is a bit patchy and suddenly it's a permanent thing.

"They'll get games when they're ready" has just been replaced by "they'll get midfield time when they're ready."

We might feel internally that our best as it stands is pushing top four/top six. So from that perspective going hard this Saturday is the way to go. I think our away performances throw some doubt up about that however

Last edited:
Nicks would still be playing Dawson in the backline and Crouch would most likely be in the midfield with Sloane and Keays. It's good we have a captain that knew what needed to be done even if the coach didn't. You could also say that Worrell would still be in the sanfl if Doedee wasn't injured. Worrell has been one of our best defenders his last two games.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think for a long while we've made good, long term, tough calls with our list management that don't necessarily match up with our weekly selections.

So now we've ended up with a very young squad overall (looking to the future) but with a coaching group that looks towards Saturday. This stretches back decades - even delisting Hart and Torney, so it's not a new thing. More recently seeing players like Douglas/DMac play every game in non-finals years right up until they're delisted.

We're running a young team but thanks to our list management the selectors can't make it older, no matter what they'd prefer. Even then though they've tried desperately despite all semblance of logic needing to be thrown out (T Brown in, Crouch recalled, Himmelberg > Thilthorpe, no rests for Sloane).

There seems to be a disassociation between list management and selection this has to be a deliberate strategy.

Deep down I think that the coaches know we need to revamp our midfield and that Pedlar, Rachele, Soligo should be getting significant time there. We sort of started the season off that way. Sloane off the wing/bench, Keays at half forward, more kids in the middle.

However Keays would rather play midfield. Sloane would rather play midfield. And our coaches would rather play them there. So they look for any excuse to go back to their preferred set up. Keays follows Daicos in there for a few bounces and suddenly it's a permanent thing. Sloane had a big Q4 vs Hawthorn, Soligo's form is a bit patchy and suddenly it's a permanent thing.

"They'll get games when they're ready" has just been replaced by "they'll get midfield time when they're ready."

We might feel internally that our best as it stands is pushing top four/top six. So from that perspective going hard this Saturday is the way to go. I think our away performances throw some doubt up about that however
Rachele looks absolutely cooked at moment , that one is a burgess call

Soligo I think needs to play in there quite a bit more in that second rotation

Pedlar is increasing his midfield minutes as season progresses

The main issue I see at moment is Sloane , I’d like to see Schoenberg.. he’s getting close to his last crack and he’s our best performed sanfl player full stop

Berry is struggling / battling .. doubt we see him properly until next year but fingers crossed he comes good this season , he might not come good ever is the reality

The main issue I see at moment is Sloane , I’d like to see Schoenberg.. he’s getting close to his last crack and he’s our best performed sanfl player full stop

Berry is struggling / battling .. doubt we see him properly until next year but fingers crossed he comes good this season , he might not come good ever is the reality
Even our structure is designed not to introduce new players.

Last season we predominantly spread the CBAs among four midfielders. So unless a kid is ready to go full time it's hard to get a taste in there.

It's expanded a little this season thankfully

Our coaches have always preferred the setup that's 5% or 10% better now than something that might be 50% better in the future

Take Pedlar for example. His current output as a midfielder might be 90% that of Ben Keays, with the future potential to be 150%. But because there's a 10% gap between them right now we will always prefer Keays now than developing Pedlar into that 50% better player.

This is why we've recruited players like Tyler Brown. We prefer the guy who is slightly better now but has an extremely low ceiling over the player that will take time to improve at AFL level. Improving is for the pre-season, training and SANFL, not for the AFL team on match day.

I can't see Sloane being dropped while Nicks is chasing finals. I don't want to see Sloane in centre square bounces but around the ball elsewhere he is beneficial if his body holds up. That would allow us to try Schoenberg who is in career best form. Give him one last crack to see if he is up to it. Berry will most likely be traded next year if he doesn't improve over preseason.

Even our structure is designed not to introduce new players.

Last season we predominantly spread the CBAs among four midfielders. So unless a kid is ready to go full time it's hard to get a taste in there.

It's expanded a little this season thankfully
Pretty consistent within the comp now , there was a time when some of the better teams had huge mid rotations

Now they like to keep it pretty tight among 4-6 players

Our coaches have always preferred the setup that's 5% or 10% better now than something that might be 50% better in the future

Take Pedlar for example. His current output as a midfielder might be 90% that of Ben Keays, with the future potential to be 150%. But because there's a 10% gap between them right now we will always prefer Keays now than developing Pedlar into that 50% better player.

This is why we've recruited players like Tyler Brown. We prefer the guy who is slightly better now but has an extremely low ceiling over the player that will take time to improve at AFL level. Improving is for the pre-season, training and SANFL, not for the AFL team on match day.
Pedlar was never playing large mid minutes this year , it’s all about a full afl season for him

Pleasantly surprised his body is holding up and also he’s getting mid minutes that are gradually increasing

Looking forward to seeing Pedlar and Rachele after another pre season … Rachele to me might take 4-5 pre seasons until he’s near the running level like a petracca did but he’s going to have some great moments on the way in midfield

Tyler Brown was a horrible horrible listing but not sure how he gets a mention in this context given he’s nowhere near the team since round 1

While Sloane is getting a total of 7 coaches votes, he won't be getting dropped.

Agreed, the coaches votes were pretty depressing (Tex excluded).

20 goal win and our failed midfielders were still giving the main roles and got the votes, but we won the centre clearances by a whopping 2!!

AFC selection committee "how good were Laird Sloane and Keays in the midfield, gotta keep em in there".

If we're not prepared to give the next gen decent midfield minutes in a 20 goal thrashing then when are we.

Seem to recall Dawson and Nicks both commenting that Jordan 'demanded to go into the midfield' was an a massive exaggeration
The first it was mentioned was in a press conference the week after he spent the first gme this year in the midfield (i think it was after the port game)

And both nicks and dawson said it was dawsons idea.. he suggested it to Nicksy during the week before that game..

I clearly remember saying at the time that it was slightly worrying that it took a player to bring the idea up.. thinking surely Nicksy wouldnt be that closed minded not to see what a lot of people even on here could see.. that Dawson was being wasted in defence and should be playing in the middle or at least on a wing..

Agreed, the coaches votes were pretty depressing (Tex excluded).

20 goal win and our failed midfielders were still giving the main roles and got the votes, but we won the centre clearances by a whopping 2!!

AFC selection committee "how good were Laird Sloane and Keays in the midfield, gotta keep em in there".

If we're not prepared to give the next gen decent midfield minutes in a 20 goal thrashing then when are we.
Careful.. the clubs relentless congaline of suckholes will call you a “negative poster” and block you for pointing this out..

Which is devestating!

Pretty consistent within the comp now , there was a time when some of the better teams had huge mid rotations

Now they like to keep it pretty tight among 4-6 players
That's a 50% differential.

Going from 4 to 5 or from 4 to 6 might not seem like much but it's massive.

It's pleasing that the structure we'd seemed welded to has been done away with. Has been a positive step this year.

This is my take as well .....from a long way away

Back