Analysis Good win today! Pies by 69 over Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok watching the replay again and yep, so far every single behind we kicked should have been a goal. I’m just after the start of the 2nd quarter and on he day I know I watched the rest and yeah, first time in 34 years watching Collingwood that every single missed shot on goal should have been a goal. Maggie5

Yeah run ourselves ragged and risk further injuries in the quest for another 1/2 of a percent or making a 'statement'.

1/2 a percent is going to do bugger all for our ladder position.

And

Statements are for big mouths and the credulous who can be convinced by them.

We needed a big win to boost our percentage and we got it.

We needed to get through the game without a further rash of injuries and we (mostly) achieved that.

Going for more - IMHO - is the stuff of madness considering the state of our list injury wise and the knowledge that 1/2 percent won't make enough ladder position difference to matter a damn.

We didn't have to run ourselves ragged - just keep doing what we were doing instead of whatever it was we put up in the last quarter and you can hardly say we were running ourselves ragged in the 2nd and 3rd quarters when the Suns started doing their best impressions of a witches hat. Anyone watching the game would have noticed that we switched off almost completely from the beginning of the last quarter and went away from what we are doing.

The thing that we seem to be failing to recognise is that good teams wait for opportunities when the opposition switches off to jump on them and switching off is something we have been doing for pretty much the entire season.

Fact of the matter is that we had a good (low-pressure) opportunity to work on maintaining what we were doing through the final quarter and we largely fluffed it - the sort of ingrained discipline and focus to maintain such an effort deep into the game comes from actually doing so in games, not getting to a comfortable point and then deciding to put the cue in the rack.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back