Goodbye and thanks, Eddie Betts

Remove this Banner Ad

This is maybe my favourite - you could see more of it on the original telecast, but as Eddie was lining up there was a group of Essendon supporters standing near the fence - I think they might have given him some gentle stick, then he kicked it, and all they could do was smile :)

Yeah, noticed that (maybe 5 or 6 times, cos I watched the whole thing that many times, ha!)
Bloke in the grey suit just smiles and nods, as if to say "Yeah, too good". :sneaky:

WeeBlake , too ... I've been playing/watching footy for a long, long time and I cannot remember a more skillful, mercurial, sleight-of-hand trickster magician as a small forward, than Betts. He might have some peers, maybe a group of 3 or 4 others who really stood out like him (Matthews, Daicos, Akermanis ..?) but none better.
Blighty was mercurial but he was a mid/"follower" back then and while he was speedy with a freakish torp, Betts was cleverer, in my opinion.
Bett's ability to paddle the ball around, in front, behind him, through an opponent's legs ffs (!! :eek:), then finishing from ridiculous angles is reminiscent of Lionel Messi at his mind-boggling best.

This is maybe my favourite - you could see more of it on the original telecast, but as Eddie was lining up there was a group of Essendon supporters standing near the fence - I think they might have given him some gentle stick, then he kicked it, and all they could do was smile :)
Is this the one where the spectator bet him a case of beer he wouldn't kick it?

On Pixel 5 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dead set legend! No surer Hall-of-famer than Betts in a few years time!

On-field: a class above most due to his amazing ability to keep on his feet, control of the ball when not in possession, kicking equally well on both feet, and seemingly have all the trick shots you can conjure up as a forward.

Off-field: a class above most, having to deal with early adult life crisis, episodes of being a victim of racism, becoming a loving husband/father, becoming a role model for the Indigenous community as well as a fine ambassador for the footy community.

So overall, a class act both on-field and off-field! And doing it with pure passion and a cheeky grin too! Thanks Eddie for all the memories! :hearteyes:

never heard this story about Eddie before

Remove this Banner Ad

Back