Goodbye My Friend

Remove this Banner Ad

You're a remarkable lady and I wish you and your family all the best in the future.
Damn you for your amazingly thoughtful post WB. I try so hard to hate you but then you show such humility. I'm kind of glad I haven't met you IRL because it would steer me to a softer view. I take many many exceptions to your team thread, some of which I think are any good for mental health and are probably, in some ways, very much related to this thread, but ultimately you are all decent people who love your team more than anything, much like Scales did. RIP mate, we all miss you... :oops: :cry:

Last edited:

It's taken me a few days to try to put the words together about the The Scales' family's loss. Having traded only minimal barbs over the years, I can't say I 'knew' The Scales as well as many others on here.

I have had a close family member attempt to take their life on a number of occasions, each time unsuccessfully thank goodness. I can only offer advice to others about how well some people manage to HIDE their problems/thoughts/feelings.

The first was a total shock. We never saw it coming and spent months afterwards trying to fathom the 'logical' reason why, not knowing that logic doesn't enter into it at all when a person is that far down the black hole.

The next four came at times when again we thought everything was fine. And this was a person who was doing every single thing the doctors were saying to do.

I can only offer my sincerest condolences to Scales' family, but my advice to everybody else is don't even wait until you THINK someone might have a problem before asking, ask anyway. True friends and family will appreciate the concern, even if there is no problem - because if there is, you may not know until it's too late.

Put's footy problems into a clear perspective.........

I hope at least we can see the wake up call in this. To take a step back and realise that we're all fellow people here.

And also to take note and be sympathetic to one another and come together before something terrible happens, and not just after.

Appreciate life and the memories, it is the only thing we have in the end. To Scales' dear friend and partner, I'm sure you will find the strength to live for him.

RIP Scales.

Very sad to hear of such a thing happen. I know all too well both personally and indirectly how depression can be like a cancer for people. I can only advise through personal experience that speaking to people and embracing loved ones and those who genuinely care is the the best way to beat it. Conquering the mind is tough, and only tougher if one feels lonely and trapped.

As others have said, a timely reminder that vilification even through forums such as this can impact people. Everyone (myself included) should consider their words and whether they're attacking a topic, or attacking a person. Recent seemingly jovial attacks on "hirdites" and "kool aid drinkers", etc doesn't help. I'm guilty of this.

I wish strength and fortune in the times ahead for Scales' family and friends, and in particular this time of year.

Maybe this is a silly idea but given many people's affinity to the BF community as an escape or even a 'family' at times, a "Speak Up" board in the General section could be considered. If it offers an avenue for someone who feels they cannot turn to people in real life but can to others on a forum, that could make a different to a person's well being. Again, maybe its a silly notion or fraught with things that BF ought not to get close to.

Horrible, horrible news.
Thank you so much for letting us know how much Bigfooty meant to The Scales.
Please don't forget to seek professional help in this situation for yourself. By my request, my partner did it when her mother comitted suicide. Almost 1.5 years in and she's almost fully back to being herself.
I hope that the grieving process as peaceful as it can possibly be for yourself and your family.

Rest in Peace Scaley one.
Enjoy a few beers up in the clouds with my mate Sam the Rama Fan.
Up the dons.

Much love,
Bipolarbear.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi Guys i am the partner of the Scales and I am not really sure how this site works but I will do my best. On Fri 28th Nov The Scales attempted to take his own life, after our daughter found him and administered CPR we were able to get him to hospital and he stayed in ICU for 5 days, on day 5 we lost him and the only joy that came out of this is that his organs were donated to many people. I wanted to let The Big Footy community know he loved this site almost as much as he loved EFC. The only other thing i want to say is if you feel down or depressed reach out there is always someone around to listen, men especially need to ask their mates if there ok because that simple question can save another family feeling the pain and anguish we are feeling. So on behalf of The Scales i say goodbye to you all. RIP my beautiful man

You're remarkable! Literally had tears in my eyes reading that. Can't imagine how you all must feel but the strength you've shown just by writing this is not justifiable with words. My condolences for your (and your family's) loss.

RIP the scales.

Can't help but feel the drawn out saga is affecting the mental health of our fans. A lot of us live and breathe football and it has been disappointing that our great game has been tarnished by multiple levels of corruption. When a major part of your life (football) becomes tarnished it can affect you on a daily basis. It definitely gets you down. I can only hope the saga is over soon and truth/justice emerge.

I don't know the scales but he was a good poster and I agree with other posters that his passing puts things into perspective. Try not to let the undesirables get you down and cherish your family and friends.

RIP The Scales. Very sad to hear.

Not only will he live on in those people he has generously helped through donating his organs but also though his partner & family.

We can only hope by sharing a sad story like this that it has changed the thought process of at least 1 person out there going through a similar stage of their life.

Condolences.

Hi Guys i am the partner of the Scales and I am not really sure how this site works but I will do my best. On Fri 28th Nov The Scales attempted to take his own life, after our daughter found him and administered CPR we were able to get him to hospital and he stayed in ICU for 5 days, on day 5 we lost him and the only joy that came out of this is that his organs were donated to many people. I wanted to let The Big Footy community know he loved this site almost as much as he loved EFC. The only other thing i want to say is if you feel down or depressed reach out there is always someone around to listen, men especially need to ask their mates if there ok because that simple question can save another family feeling the pain and anguish we are feeling. So on behalf of The Scales i say goodbye to you all. RIP my beautiful man

My thoughts are with you & your family. I understand a little the burden and pain that this loss causes. I lost my brother to his own hand only a short time ago.
I have not written on this forum for years since his passing & reading your story made me speak up.

Its never too late to talk to your friends or family, or even people you don't know. Life is the most sacred thing that we have & life for many of us is difficult at the best of times. It is truly up to all of us to carry each other through. We need to look out for each other and not take life for granted and be careful where we tread.

If you see a friend or someone you know is going through a difficult time. Please talk to them, listen to them be patient with them, include them. A single conversation might make a big difference.

I have not written on this forum for many years since my brothers passing & I would like to thank you for your courage in sharing your experience and teaching others that they can reach out. They should reach out. Its never too late to talk to your friends or family, or even the people that don't know you. Life is the most sacred thing that we have.

Rest in peace The Scales.

As we get closer to Xmas I've been thinking a lot about The Scales family. I hope you are all doing ok at this time.

I just wanted to say thanks once again for thinking about us at this time.

I also want to acknowledge the posters from here and other boards who have offered their condolences and shared their own stories. I have been moved to tears by a lot of the postings.

Events like this transcend football club rivalries.

I will miss his intelligence and sense of justice.

I did not know him personally, I do not know his real name, but I still, to some extent, knew him. He and I share the same community. We liked each others posts. We expressed opinions on topics that we valued.

Above all I know that he has people that know him personally, and his death brings me sadness - for him, and for them.

Been away for a few days and just found out about this.

Really, really sad news. An intelligent and thoughtful poster whose opinion I rarely agreed with but always took the time to read.

Nothing but respect for the strength and bravery shown by his family.

Condolences to them, those that knew him, and all his BF brethren.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back