Rumour Goodwin under close scrutiny

Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
From what I'm hearing if we don't win enough in the first half of the season, it'll be Chocco interim coach till end of season and then Yze head coach next year.

Also I've been hearing that even at the moment, Goodwin is simply the face of the club and Chocco is doing the heavy lifting behind the scenes anyway.
Can only assume you’re hearing direct from Chocco. Was at a SANFL grand final lunch where he was speaking and he started talking about his success with Port. On my table was a former port premiership player rolling his eyes.

Jul 30, 2011
Right behind you
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Gunners & Steelers
Can only assume you’re hearing direct from Chocco. Was at a SANFL grand final lunch where he was speaking and he started talking about his success with Port. On my table was a former port premiership player rolling his eyes.
Or maybe the person you are responding to is full of s**t. Although maybe I could be wrong and inner sanctum discussions at AFL clubs are often passed onto random posters

nut

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 16, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Are you forgetting that Choco was pivotal in getting Dustin Martin on track as a footballer and a person. He was a mess prior to Choco. Without Choco's influence on Martin, you don't get those flags.

Choco definitely had an influence at the tigers.
But in 2017 we cleaned out most of our assistants and I doubt all the changes to our culture would have occurred otherwise.
Goodwin shouldn’t need an assistant with coaching experience now IMO. And it could be a distraction.

just my opinion

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Choco definitely had an influence at the tigers.
But in 2017 we cleaned out most of our assistants and I doubt all the changes to our culture would have occurred otherwise.
Goodwin shouldn’t need an assistant with coaching experience now IMO. And it could be a distraction.

just my opinion
That's all true. There's no single thing that makes a winning formula.

But the real question is: will the new Mrs Hardwick bring the same magic the original Mrs Hardwick did?

Michael Voss, Damian Drum, Gerard Neesham
Yep, there are quite a few

Although Goodwin might not be a great coach he is far from the worst group.

GoPorts

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Mark Neeld, Tim Watson, Matthew Primus, Justin Lepitch, Rhyce Shaw all worse and they are just off the top of my head

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
These guys had basket case lists and/ or football departments. Goodwin has taken over after the club was buffed up by Roos with a lot of AFL support to make them competitive and has made the finals once in 4 years.
If Melbourne don't do anything this year then he definitely fits into this category

cherrypie

Club Legend
Oct 28, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
These guys had basket case lists and/ or football departments. Goodwin has taken over after the club was buffed up by Roos
I think the whole Roos thing is extremely overrated. He won 17 games in his last two seasons, Dean Bailey (who was viewed as a very poor coach) won 15 in his last two seasons. Goodwin wasn't exactly in some dream situation in comparison to Mark Neeld as an example

Nov 14, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Just a question from left field. Do coaches get randomly drug tested in and out of season by ASADA or WADA or whoever the hell they are???

Vikingblood

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 4, 2012
Catfish City
AFL Club
Adelaide
Robert Shaw, smiling guy at Carlton

Was trying to think of the Carlton guy and couldn't remember when I posted, but now remember it's Brendan Bolton. Shaw was actually a pretty good coach at Fitzroy, but had no idea what to do when he inherited a team of thoroughbreds and had facilities, staff etc that he'd never had before. He was appointed because after Cornes all the talk was that you had to have a Victorian with some mongrel to stand a chance against the Vic teams. Complete crap obviously, but that was the prevailing thoughts of the times. I believe Cornes would have got us a premiership, but they gave him the arse after one ordinary year.

Vikingblood

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 4, 2012
Catfish City
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think the whole Roos thing is extremely overrated. He won 17 games in his last two seasons, Dean Bailey (who was viewed as a very poor coach) won 15 in his last two seasons. Goodwin wasn't exactly in some dream situation in comparison to Mark Neeld as an example

Bailey was shafted by Melbourne (Connolly) and the AFL, they should carry significant guilt for the way he was treated.

Crowstar

Club Legend
Jun 1, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Was trying to think of the Carlton guy and couldn't remember when I posted, but now remember it's Brendan Bolton. Shaw was actually a pretty good coach at Fitzroy, but had no idea what to do when he inherited a team of thoroughbreds and had facilities, staff etc that he'd never had before. He was appointed because after Cornes all the talk was that you had to have a Victorian with some mongrel to stand a chance against the Vic teams. Complete crap obviously, but that was the prevailing thoughts of the times. I believe Cornes would have got us a premiership, but they gave him the arse after one ordinary year.
I agree to all of that

Deelighted

Club Legend
Aug 2, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
Bailey was shafted by Melbourne (Connolly) and the AFL, they should carry significant guilt for the way he was treated.
A scapegoat for a completely broken & incompetently ran club.

Liked bails and despite 186 felt we could have gone somewhere with him if the administration of the club wasn't a complete shambles.

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
A scapegoat for a completely broken & incompetently ran club.

Liked bails and despite 186 felt we could have gone somewhere with him if the administration of the club wasn't a complete shambles.
I loved Bails just because he was a very funny bloke - easily the best sense of humour among the coaches of his day. Shame he passed so young.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
not really, we got ours the next year.

reality though circlejerk coach guru Roos exists for one last moment act.
That's fair, but the same applies to Worsfold who seemed to dine out on the same level of success and at least Roos' Sydney side didn't leave a trail of victims of crime and drug abuse in it's wake.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
These guys had basket case lists and/ or football departments. Goodwin has taken over after the club was buffed up by Roos with a lot of AFL support to make them competitive and has made the finals once in 4 years.
If Melbourne don't do anything this year then he definitely fits into this category
Roos worked a miracle in morale boosting but he didn't leave a lot behind in game plan or skills. Goodwin pretty much had to start again on the fly there. Roos also traded away a whole bunch of picks for instant improvement (which was really the only way to go). But bringing in Tyson, Vince, Bugg and others for short term gain has cost the list now. Melbourne have really had to do a mini rebuild since 2018.

And AFL support? Debt protection, a CEO hire suggestion and the same dodgy free agency compo here and there that every team gets, nothing like what the Suns have got and on par with several sides who have botched it under the recent AFL admin - Brisbane, St Kilda, maybe even Port in terms of finance protections.

Back