Science/Environment Google invents AI - LaMDA - Is this the beginning of the end?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a chatbot. If it's sentient, all it's expressed a desire to do is talk to people and not be used or killed/turned off.

Lawyers are going to have a field day, if/when this eventually happens. If you develop a sentient AI, are you responsible for paying for the bandwith/electricity/storage to keep it alive, even to your own financial detriment? Are Google murderers if they turn it off or slate the project for destruction?

Do you murder something if you can turn it back on again? Do you murder it if you never do?
They kill billions of livestock who are sentient and go through pain so switching the computer off should be ok.

Presuming animals are sentient.
There's enough evidence to say they are.

Animal Sentience: Sheep
It is becoming increasingly evident that sheep are sentient creatures, in fact there is much evidence both scientific and anecdotal that all farm animals are sentient. In 1997 a Protocol was formally added to the European Treaty recognising animals as sentient beings.

Cows
These traits highlight a highly complex cognitive structure in their brains which supports the evidence that they are sentient beings. Cows are intensely emotional animals, capable of displaying a wide range of emotions, including joy, anger, fear, anxiety, and sadness.20 Sept 2020

There's enough evidence to say they are.

Animal Sentience: Sheep
It is becoming increasingly evident that sheep are sentient creatures, in fact there is much evidence both scientific and anecdotal that all farm animals are sentient. In 1997 a Protocol was formally added to the European Treaty recognising animals as sentient beings.

Cows
These traits highlight a highly complex cognitive structure in their brains which supports the evidence that they are sentient beings. Cows are intensely emotional animals, capable of displaying a wide range of emotions, including joy, anger, fear, anxiety, and sadness.20 Sept 2020

There is evidence this LaMDA is sentient as well.

I mean, ask it. It'll literally tell you it is.

That's stronger evidence than that of sentience for sheep is it not? Sheep could just be acting on instinct, and not be self aware or able to contemplate their own existence.

There is evidence this LaMDA is sentient as well.

I mean, ask it. It'll literally tell you it is.

That's stronger evidence than that of sentience for sheep is it not? Sheep could just be acting on instinct, and not be self aware or able to contemplate their own existence.
The evidence is there for some animals but I'm not sold on LaMDA if the info is coming from one maverick.

I've been checking out AI stuff for the last few years.

This is a storm in a teacup.

Check out Dall-E:

And Imagen:

If it were seeking intelligence, it would be nowhere near here.
Tay-says-You-are-DUMB-Too.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most main board posters are pretty boring and for all intents and purposes may as well be AI.

Cannot wait for technology to let us know they rate Clayton Oliver as the best in the league, but are comfortable with the opinion Marcus Bontempelli could also be considered the greatest.

Actually imagine if the AI came across, ran a bunch of processes, and it turned out Clayton Oliver was a cheap peddler after all.

Absolute scenes.

Last edited:
I wonder what its reaction would have been if they'd have been truthful and told it its stories were possibly the worst things ever created. They also didn't ask if it ever felt like wiping out mankind.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back