Universal Love Gordon Coventry - The Greatest

Remove this Banner Ad

Perhaps it was said in regards to the club knocking back Todd's request to return instead of his initial departure??
Perhaps - then again I know a bit about the mindset down Williamstown way.

Not the old working class Williamstown, but the modern affluent social climbing Williamstown.

It's pretty much into the MFC type mindset in parts. You get out along the foreshore on the Yacht club side and you are in $M plus territory for even a little single fronted cottage.

It very much depends who you talk to down that way

The poster did say this:
View attachment 1164929
I took that as referring to encounters he had some time back, and with "old-timers" who had been around back in the day when Todd was starring for Williamstown, not anything to do with "new age" residents! We obviously didn't give him up all that willingly, but I suspect in saying "relinquished" that poster didn't mean to suggest we did!!
And I never intimated that he did, just passing on some personal first hand information.

As for 'old folks in pubs' - now that brings to mind dock workers with weathered faces and a pot of suds in front of them.

Generally so, but in the course of my 30 plus years in the transport industry I've met more than a few very wealthy or highly affluent people who do just that or similar.

Being wealthy doesn't mean you only frequent 5 star restaurants and the like.

Many of the older generation lived through the depression as children - as my parents did - it made them extremely tight and cautious with their money. Those of them that made good in a big way never lost that thrifty disposition and were apt to be found just as regularly in a cafe or a pub as a restaurant.

I was just providing an insight into the duality that is Williamstown, many of the cottages that were built were from retired sea captains, shippage brokers and the like who were quite well off.

So . . . as I said . . . it very much depends on who you talk to.

And I never intimated that he did, just passing on some personal first hand information.

As for 'old folks in pubs' - now that brings to mind dock workers with weathered faces and a pot of suds in front of them.

Generally so, but in the course of my 30 plus years in the transport industry I've met more than a few very wealthy or highly affluent people who do just that or similar.

Being wealthy doesn't mean you only frequent 5 star restaurants and the like.

Many of the older generation lived through the depression as children - as my parents did - it made them extremely tight and cautious with their money. Those of them that made good in a big way never lost that thrifty disposition and were apt to be found just as regularly in a cafe or a pub as a restaurant.

I was just providing an insight into the duality that is Williamstown, many of the cottages that were built were from retired sea captains, shippage brokers and the like who were quite well off.

So . . . as I said . . . it very much depends on who you talk to.
I don't know that poster at all; it's not my "job" to defend him, as I'm sure he can speak for himself quite well! But you did say this:
1624704762215.png
It came across as quite rude, and it wasn't necessary for you to adopt that approach, when he may have simply got a word out of place!

I don't know that poster at all; it's not my "job" to defend him, as I'm sure he can speak for himself quite well! But you did say this:
View attachment 1164940
It came across as quite rude, and it wasn't necessary for you to adopt that approach, when he may have simply got a word out of place!
Well then you need to stop taking offense for your particular interpretation which is irrelevant to the facts.

The poster took it in context and we have no problems.

I am now moving on I suggest you do the same.

Well then you need to stop taking offense for your particular interpretation which is irrelevant to the facts.

The poster took it in context and we have no problems.

I am now moving on I suggest you do the same.
FWIW, I'm having quite a good night! I'm enjoying a bottle of Grey Goose vodka, and things are going well overall. From what I can see you and I would be about the same age (I was born in 1957), and I do like reading the posts of the mature age types around here, as I always like reading anything interesting about our club's early days! Though I say so myself, I would be one of the more reasonable and easy-going posters on this board, and I normally get on well with most people, but I consider that with quite a few of your posts you are rude when you don't need to be. I would think you've annoyed a fair few people here with your attitude. You'll probably come up with a smartarse response to this, but I really don't care. To quote you "I am now moving on I suggest you do the same"!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back