GoSaints12 Phantom Draft, Draft floor. 8am tomorrow start. Live trade of picks is on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gosaints12

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ferrari
This thread is for picks only no comments.

Other threads

Comment thread: GoSaints12’s Phantom Draft

Adelaide - Mego Red
Brisbane - briztoon
Carlton - LemmingMaster / Coona Blues
Collingwood - Pie 4 Life
Essendon - eDPS
Fremantle - eastfreo75
Geelong - andleanback
GC - fightingfury_88
GWS - PMBangers
Hawthorn - Davo-27
Melbourne - bone2468
North - dollarscost
Port - Bastyy
Richmond - TheSmythe
St Kilda - Gosaints12
Sydney - Membling
WCE - getgaff
WB - weltschmerz
Fan - RedmanWasHere

Round 1:
1 Gold Coast - Will Phillips
2 North Melbourne - Elijah Holland
3 (WB) - Jamarra Ugle-Hagan
4. Carlton - Riley Thilthorpe
5. Sydney - Reef McInnes
6. (SYD) - Braeden Campbell
7. St Kilda - Zane Trew
8. North Melbourne - Denver Grangier-Barras
9. Adelaide - Kaine Baldwin
10 Fremantle, (Liam Henry) - Nathan O’Driscoll
11 Brisbane Lions - Archie Perkins
12 Hawthorn - Tanner Bruhn
13 Geelong - Oliver Henry
14 Essendon - Logan McDonald
15 Port - Jackson Callow
16 Geelong - Finlay McCrae
17 Hawthorn - Eddie Ford
18 Collingwood - Nik Cox
19 (ADEL) - Luke Edwards
20. Geelong - Sam Berry
21 Richmond - Oliver Davis

Round 2:
22 Gold Coast - Zach Reid
23 Fremantle - Taj Schofield
24 Carlton - Jack Ginnivan
25 Adelaide - Wil Parker
26 Richmond - Heath Chapman
27 Brisbane - Harry Sharp
28 Adelaide - Zac Dumesny
29 Melbourne - Logan Foley
30 North Melbourne - Sam Collins
31 West Coast - Cole Gerloff
32 (Freo) - Brandon Walker
33 Gold Coast - Erroll Gulden
34. Port Adelaide - Chad Pearson
35 (Bris) - Blake Coleman
36 Adelaide - Corey Durdin
37. (Haw) - Connor Downie
38 Collingwood - Carter Micheal

Round 3:
39 Essendon - Zavier Maher
40 (Freo) - Joel Western
41 Melbourne - Pass
42 Carlton - Henry Walsh
43 Port Adelaide - Bailey Chamberlain
44 Collingwood - Charlie Lazzaro
45 Port Adelaide - Isiah Winder
46 Hawthorn - Jack Carrol
47 Hawthorn - Bailey Laurie
48 Western Bulldogs - Lochlan Jenkins
49 West Coast - Dyson Hilder
50 Greater Western Sydney, (Tom Green) - Connor Stone
51 Geelong - Liam McMahon
52 West Coast - Josh Green
53. (ESS) - Cody Brand
54. Greater Western Sydney - Charlie Byrne
55. Richmond - Angus Baker

Round 4:
56 Geelong - Jackson Cardillo
57 North Melbourne - Jye Sinderberry
58. Essendon - Caleb Poulter
59 (Ess) - Josh Eyre
60. Collingwood - Ryan Angwin
61 North Melbourne - Nick Stevens
62. St Kilda - Josh Clarke
63. Hawthorn - Clayton Gay
64 Adelaide - Tariek Newchurch
65 Western Bulldogs - Ben Kelly
66 Hawthorn - Thomas Panuccio
67 Hawthorn - Cooper Smith
68 St Kilda - Saxon Crozier
69 Sydney - Josh Tracey
70 Gold Coast - Josh Watson
71. Essendon - Pass
72 Greater Western Sydney - Pass
73. Richmond - Maurice Rioli Jr

Last edited:
Pick 1 - Gold Coast - Will Phillips (Oakleigh Chargers)
1588023337931.png

I could have gone a number of ways here. I certainly could have placed a bid for a certain key forward but in Gold Coast's position I think they have to use every advantage they can get to make their club viable and that includes using the marketability of having the first picked player on their list. Phillips is number 1 on my draft board and the added bonus of picking Phillips is Gold Coast now have three Oakleigh midfielders on their list from the 2019 NAB League season, hopefully reducing any go home factor that may be present.

With limited exposure for most of this year's draft crop, Phillips is probably the safest pick you can make. Some players in this pool may have greater potential, but of all the players available he probably has the highest floor as you already know you are getting an excellent footballer in Phillips. The midfielder made a huge impact for the Oakleigh Chargers in their NAB League Premiership win with a very consistent season as an underage player in 2019 where he didn't look out of place alongside Rowell and Anderson. Phillips also managed to also play in one U18 Championship game which is a superb achievement in a stacked Vic Metro midfield.

At close to 180cm Phillips is an OK size for a midfielder and his clean hands and decent disposal sees him with very few flaws. Incredibly consistent, Phillips showed he could play both as an inside and outside midfielder during the 2019 season and he was very comfortable in either role although inside midfield is where he really shines. When gathering the ball Phillips is one of those players that seems to have time to make his decision; in a contested situation he always seems calm and assure of himself, rarely rushing disposals and often finding a teammate with a tight handball or making space from the pack and usually hitting a target by foot. Even more impressive was his ability to step up in games that mattered with his 2019 finals campaign for the Chargers very strong and perhaps only shaded by Rowell as the standout finals performer.

If there is one thing we have yet to see with Phillips it would probably be an ability to move out of the midfield and pose a genuine goalkicking threat but that would be some serious nitpicking. With this pick, Gold Coast's midfield is now set for the future with Rowell, Anderson and Phillips three genuine stars to build around. A very exciting time to be a Suns supporter.

dollarscost is up next with North Melbourne for pick 2.

dollarscost

Debutant
Oct 10, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Pick 2 - North Melbourne - Elijah Hollands (Murray Bushrangers)

I explored a few avenues here before landing on Hollands as the pick for North. Firstly, I did consider bidding on Jamarra Ugle-Hagan here to force the Bulldogs' hand early; however, I wanted to be able to draft the player that I wanted without potentially alienating them as my "second priority" after the Bulldogs inevitably matched the bid on points. As a result, I just decided to pick Hollands straight up, seeing as he's the player I was hoping for here regardless. Secondly, North do indeed need help in defence, but I didn't want to pass up on the talent and ceiling of Hollands as a potential game-breaking midfield/forward hybrid.

Hollands is, as we know, a powerful midfielder/forward with fantastic size and great football IQ. Already standing at 188cm and 81kg, he looks like he'll have the chance to continue to develop into an even more daunting physical presence over the next few years. His season-ending injury is not enough to put me off picking him - North have had success in the past drafting high-level prospects coming off devastating draft year injuries in recent years (Jy Simpkin).

North's midfield group for the future seems to be currently made up of Jy Simpkin, Tarryn Thomas, Luke Davies-Uniacke and Bailey Scott, among others rotating through (Paul Ahern, Aiden Bonar, Will Walker). Adding Hollands to that bunch will give it something new. Davies-Uniacke possesses good size and skills and shows fantastic flashes, but the jury is out on how good will become after lacklustre and inconsistent first and second seasons. Thomas has been fantastic so far rotating between FP, wing and on ball, but with his craftiness and smooth skills he may be deployed forward or on a wing more frequently than in the middle in the future. Simpkin is starting to become the player everyone hoped he would be before he broke his leg in his draft year, becoming a core component of North's midfield. However, his relatively small stature means that he struggles when matched up against large, contested beasts of the competition. Scott looks good, but seems destined to spend a lot of time on the wing.

Enter Hollands; a player that will give the North engine room a strong, explosive presence for the future to complement the smooth skills of those that will fill the midfield positions around him. His age fits perfectly with the timeline of the up-and-coming North midfield, but also, he provides an option right now alongside the likes of Tarryn Thomas, Jack Ziebell and Ben Cunnington to be played forward to help give a chop out to Ben Brown, Nick Larkey and Cam Zurhaar. Hollands provides fantastic flexibility, an AFL-ready body and a very lofty ceiling, and this far outweighs the negative of his ACL injury in my eyes.

If Hollands, LDU and Thomas all reach the heights that North fans know they can, look out. Up next is LemmingMaster and Carlton.

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Pick 3 (matched bid from Carlton) - Western Bulldogs - Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (Oakleigh Chargers)

This was a formality. Dogs fans have been watching Jamarra's development with excitement and waiting for the day we see him in our colours. At 194cm and 84kg, he's growing into his height and will add some more star quality to our forward line. Jamarra's an excitement machine. He's amazing in the air, his athleticism is amazing for a tall 17-year-old, and he hits the scoreboard hard. Seeing him play alongside Aaron Naughton is an exciting prospect.

1588136420614.png

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Ok, we have our next pick in.

and this is why it is not prudent to have another club rep and casual observer select on behalf of a club.
We are talking pick 3. Best available, not a small forward/mid hybrid. While we are in need of mids and a small forward, best available please.
We may offer up pick 3 for a proven Papley in the fullness of time, but be assured there would be something coming back.

Best available is Riley Thilthorpe.
Class power forward, skills, agility, pace and hits the scoreboard.
We have Harry M and Charlie C (if he gets over his dramas) McGovern a highlights reel, but needs to contribute more. De Koning probably anointed
as our ruckman in a year or two (Pittonet will try to alter this). De Koning has forward "creds". Thilthorpe has ruck creds as well, and all I have named
are very mobile. What a forward grouping they could offer, while TDK backed up by Thilthorpe and big Harry. Salivating.

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Southampton FC
And the next pick as well.

eDPS might have to tag Pie 4 Life.

Bid was not matched

Pick 5 - Sydney Swans - Reef Mcinnes (Oakleigh Chargers)

Some may see this as a reach, and fair enough. He has not had a huge amount of times in the middle due to the stacked midfield he was competing against. I would have loved to see how he went this year so this pick is a bit more speculative that usual want. There were two other options at this pick, Trew and O'Driscoll both very much viable in the live draft.

So why Reef? (Sometimes I wonder about kids names but anyway)

Swans need some help in the middle. We are crying out for big contested mid. To my mind there is one proven (Trew) and another who would have been proven this year IMO (Mcinnes). Swans will be losing JPK in the very near future and need a bigger. We have been focusing on mids recently and Mcinnes fits the bill.

Mcinnes is tall, ball winning mid when he is played there. He has poise and clean disposal when under pressure which is a must for this pick. At 192cm and 84kg he would be ready to play straight away and with added versatility, would likely take that tall utility position we have been missing since Goodes.

I get the Bonts/Fyfe vibe in regards to his development with Mcinnes and would be happy to take him in the live draft. Will it happen, no idea.

Tried to get a photo to display that mullet bit alas, it does not want to work.

Gosaints12 you're up

Last edited:

Gosaints12

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ferrari
I don’t know how to bold stuff sorry.

Pick 6-St Kilda Braeden Campbell, (Swans academy/Allies)

Saints bid on Swans acemedy player Braeden Campbell. Silky, quick, a deadly left foot, and a sidestep that would confuse even the best. He’ll fit in wonderfully at the Saints, but will the Swans take him for their own?

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Southampton FC
I don’t know how to bold stuff sorry.

Pick 6-St Kilda Braeden Campbell, (Swans academy/Allies)

Saints bid on Swans acemedy player Braeden Campbell. Silky, quick, a deadly left foot, and a sidestep that would confuse even the best. He’ll fit in wonderfully at the Saints, but will the Swans take him for their own?

Could make it interesting and put up a few smokies in later rounds but.... yeah gonna match.

That'll be remaining picks for Swans with a 70 odd point surplus.

Gosaints12 you're up again

Pick 6 - Sydney Swans - Braeden Campbell (Sydney Swans Academy)

Trying to gauge where Campbell ranges in draft range is tricky. He has scope to go anywhere from 4 to about 14. Bit of an early bid but hard to turn down his quality considering where our picks would be.

Campbell is a balanced player with an exceptionally damaging left foot that can make him a deadly 70m player. His dash and overall awareness make him a weapon across flanks and on a wing. This was shown notably in the futures game where he also slotted 3 goals. A few people would have seen the highlights package, for mine, the best passage of play was a running pass from Campbell which was perfectly weighted to Phillips

Campbell's best asset is, as previously mention, his kicking. Swans will want to utilise this in tandom with Dawson giving the team better penetration and retention going i50. Though his greatest asset is his kicking, he is not afraid of the hard stuff being able to get in and under when needed. A good illustration of this is the NAB championships, amassing 11K 4h 3m 7t and 2g a game over 4 matches. This included 1.5 Clearances and 5 i50s per game.

There are a few draw back to Braeden. He is not a known accumulator of the footy and he is someone you want with ball on hand. This leaves questions in regards to his ability to effectively effect a game. However, his quality of disposal and ability to hit the scorecard will mitigate this somewhat. The other is his his scope for improvement. Due to Campbell being in the Swans Academy, his upside is questionable and is likely closer to the finished product than others. He has grown a bit and if this continues, may raise his upside potential. Campbell has grown 3cm to 181, if he grows a few more cm and becomes more of an aerial threat he could be talked up as a top 3 player.

Last edited:

Gosaints12

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ferrari
This pick was hard.

Pick 7, St Kilda - Zane Trew, (Swans Districts)

He’s quick, classy and can get in and get it, exactly who the Saints need. If this was a real draft I’d be very excited to see him play. Welcome to the Saints Zane.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dollarscost

Debutant
Oct 10, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Pick 8 - North Melbourne - Denver Grainger-Barras (Swan Districts)

North Melbourne are jumping for joy at this point. We got the superstar ceiling of Elijah Hollands early for the future midfield, and now the larger defender that they'll no doubt be eyeing off in the actual draft this year with one of their first round picks.

Without much of a defence to rely on at the present time, let alone in the future, Grainger-Barras is the clear choice. Recent attempts at drafting successors for Robbie Tarrant and Scott Thompson at the two key defence positions have proven ineffective; Ben McKay has shown very little in 4 years, Sam Durdin - despite occasional flashes - has not come along as the club has hoped so far, and the undersized Ed Vickers-Willis, whilst solid, has had a lot of trouble staying on the park. Tarrant, Majak Daw and Josh Walker can hold down the fort decently enough in the meantime, but the future needs to be addressed in defence at Arden Street - in both the key and small positions.

Here, North get an excellent reader of the play - vital in the modern game. Having a key defender that can marshal the troops around him based on how he sees the game unfolding is a fantastic asset. He provides great intercept marking skills and is good in a one-on-one contest. Although currently a bit undersized (at 192cm) to be playing on the largest forward in an opposition team, North will be hoping that he continues to grow and fill out into that 195cm+ behemoth that is so coveted. Even if he doesn't continue to physically develop like this, he's a great option to have down back to put on the second, smaller key forward of the opposition, and fills another massive need for North in the future as we build a team to contend in a few seasons time.

North's biggest positional weakness for the future has now been addressed to some extent. Up next is Adelaide and Mego Red.

Bruce0912

Draftee
Oct 14, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Bid was not matched

Pick 5 - Sydney Swans - Reef Mcinnes (Oakleigh Chargers)

Some may see this as a reach, and fair enough. He has not had a huge amount of times in the middle due to the stacked midfield he was competing against. I would have loved to see how he went this year so this pick is a bit more speculative that usual want. There were two other options at this pick, Trew and O'Driscoll both very much viable in the live draft.

So why Reef? (Sometimes I wonder about kids names but anyway)

Swans need some help in the middle. We are crying out for big contested mid. To my mind there is one proven (Trew) and another who would have been proven this year IMO (Mcinnes). Swans will be losing JPK in the very near future and need a bigger. We have been focusing on mids recently and Mcinnes fits the bill.

Mcinnes is tall, ball winning mid when he is played there. He has poise and clean disposal when under pressure which is a must for this pick. At 192cm and 84kg he would be ready to play straight away and with added versatility, would likely take that tall utility position we have been missing since Goodes.

I get the Bonts/Fyfe vibe in regards to his development with Mcinnes and would be happy to take him in the live draft. Will it happen, no idea.

Tried to get a photo to display that mullet bit alas, it does not want to work.

Gosaints12 you're up
Who was pick 4?

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Pick 10. Nathan O’Driscoll 187cm Inside mid Perth Football Club

Went with an inside competitive midfield. Skills are ok and not a lot of flexibility with other roles.

In saying that, he tackles and is hard at it. 187 is a good height but needs to add another 10kg to his fame.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Pick 11. Brisbane Lions

Archie Perkins. 186cm. 77kg.
Sandringham Dragons.

C5B7D97D-1448-490F-9FB4-DE21161CEC43.jpeg

Brisbane’s philosophy is best available player with their early picks, then draft for need with later picks.

In Archie Perkins, we believe we have a future match winner to pair with Cam Rayner. Perkins playing from the midfield and resting forward, with Rayner playing forward and rotating through the midfield.

Brisbane definitely has a need for a genuine full forward or mobile ruck, however I felt the KPP players available didn’t offer anything different to the developing talls already on our list.

I hard a difficult choice between 3 players.
Tanner Bruhn, Finlay Macrae and Archie Perkins.

I am also taking in to account they type of players that will suit the new AFL, with shorter quarters, and Brisbane’s reliance on scoring from the midfield.

I shied away from Bruhn over the uncertainty of his injury.

Which left a choice between Macrae and Perkins. Brisbane could certainly do with Macrae’s skill, creativity and spread from the midfield.

However I felt Perkins power, athleticism and drive from the midfield, and ability to score from both midfield and when resting forward, swing my decision.

I see Perkins as a natural replacement for the ageing Dayne Zorko. I believe Perkins plays a similar style to Zorko, albeit with the added bonus of being 10+ centimetres taller, but with the same explosion and power from the contest, speed and agility, and ability to move the ball forward from the midfield.

Even with reduced list numbers in the coming seasons, Brisbane has the depth in midfield, to allow Perkins to build his body and stamina before playing him at AFL level.

But that’s not to say Perkins won’t get his chance early. As we saw with Deven Robertson in the first game this season, if we feel a young player is ready, and can play a role, we bring them in.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Pick 13 - Geelong - Oliver Henry (Geelong Falcons) 187cm/77kg

Geelong get a gem here with hometown boy Ollie Henry. He's versatile and can play both ends but i believe Geelong would look to settle him in their forward 50 to add some x-factor as a medium forward. He oozes class and has all the tools to make it at the next level, has great hands overhead while also being dangerous when the ball is on the ground possessing great goal sense and forward craft. This kid has will add a lot to geelong's fwd line who have yet to find a stevie j type operator that can win a game off his own boot and always uses the ball well in the fwd half. With ablett retiring and question marks on gary rohan long term, this is a great selection for geelong who need to find goal kickers other than tom hawkins. This kid has huge amount of upside and once his body matures, i believe he will iron out consistency issues and be a star for the cats.

Geelong now have a great bunch of small/medium froward types as they look to rebuild on the run
Ollie Henry, Gryan miers, Cam Tehany, Francis Evans.

eDPS you're up

Last edited:

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Pick 14 - Essendon

Logan McDonald
Perth/WA
196cm 85kg
Key Forward
DR:5-20

WAFL Colts

Averages
Disposals: 13
Marks: 3.2
Goals: 1.8

U18 Championships
Averages
Disposals: 11.3
Marks: 4.3
Goals: 1

U16 Championships
Averages
Disposals: 10.3
Marks: 5
Goals: 3

Ive been firm on Essendon needing more depth in their midfield particularly bigger inside midfielders, players like Trew/McInness/Davies/O’Driscoll are all in that mould and with all 4 of the table I looked at what else Essendon could use. Kaine Baldwin a contested marking forward is something Essendon could use more of for sure and another I would have thought of if he made it to this spot, Nikolas Cox would be best available for me of the players still on the board but I’m after a certain type with Essendon for talls and that brings me to Logan McDonald.

McDonald would be closer to making an impact at AFL level than Harrison Jones who we drafted last year and with the uncertainty with Daniher and unreliability of Stewart/McKernan consistently getting on the park another key forward I feel is a must and one that could be ready for AFL sooner rather than later. McDonald isnt physically strong enough to make a massive impact early on but his elite endurance and ability to put influence at ground level gives him enough to play a role. Standing at 196cm with a great leap and endurance should see him being more than a pushover for medium defenders who would most likely take McDonald early days.

There isn’t many players I could compare McDonald too, he emulates his game on the likes of Nick Reiwoldt and Jack Lukosius as players who can work up and down the ground and hit the scoreboard aswell which is a great type to be in modern football. The things McDonald will need to work on are his speed and his contested marking, speed is hard to improve but contested marking can certainly improve especially when he gets to combat the likes of Cale Hooker at training who is one of the best contested markers in the game today and being another WA boy himself I can see McDonald really settling in well at the Bombers as most WA kids do.

The addition of McDonald and likely NGA talls Brand and Eyre Essendon can now focus the next few drafts and trade periods bulking up the midfield and perhaps looking at some more small defenders aswell.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back