GoSaints12 Phantom Draft, Draft floor. 8am tomorrow start. Live trade of picks is on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 70 - Gold Coast - Josh Watson (Northern Knights)
1588677010750.png
With 3 picks taken already in this draft plus the Academy additions of Davies and Jeffrey in reality the Gold Coast Suns are likely pass on this pick, particularly if list sizes are cut in the coming years. But for this Phantom Draft's purpose and to get another name out there I'm going to select a player who caught my eye late in the 2019 NAB League season. Truth be told, if the draft was to occur today Watson probably wouldn't be picked as he isn't quite as proven as other players, including some players yet to be taken in this Phantom Draft that are in Academy Hubs and some who even played in the Grand Final curtain raiser last year. With an October birthday he's one of the younger draft eligible players in the league and I'm really keen to see how much improvement Watson would make this year if and when games get up and going again.

Make no mistake, this is definitely a speculative pick. Watson isn't a part of any academy hub and only played a total of 7 NAB league games last year, but he broke out late in the year with his best on ground performance in round 17 against the Western Jets a real stand out. In this game he showcased a strong contested game around the stoppages with clean hands, decent agility and an ability to break away from the congestion with a bit of run and carry. His disposal and decision making left a little to be desired at times but he did display a raking left foot kick on multiple occasions. A very sharp snap from a fair distance out early in the game also showed some real skill. Watson's aggression at the contest and opponent was a plus which included nailing an opponent with a strong tackle late in the game after his opponent attempting to get around him with a sharp change in direction. Unfortunately Watson couldn't quite replicate this performance in the following couple of games but it was still a solid finals series for him and a definite step up from where he was earlier in the year.

eDPS listed next in draft who I believe mentioned earlier isn't using the pick anyway. So that means PMBangers is up next.

(just checked and Dogs don't have picks left)

Pick 71 - Cody Raak
Western Jets | General Defender
192 cm | 78 kg

View attachment 870770
A member of the Western Bulldogs NGA academy due to his father being born in Zimbamwe (Always thought the GIANTS should look to attract the Zimbabwean crowd) Raak is defender with the ability to play Tall or Small, as a lockdown option or an attacking defender. This versatility is a real asset at the next level. His kicking, hand skills, composure and game sense are highlights of his game, and like my other two picks so far consistency is the big question mark, as well as size, but with a later birthday and having grown a bit during the off season I have confidence he'll get taller.

Can't think of a clear comparison, maybe a much lesser Grimes with his versatility

Other considered: Had a few cross my mind but see them more as rookie selections (Shannon Neale, Henry Smith, Ollie Lord, Darby Hipwell), Raak is the closest thing to a KPD I see as ND worthy (of draft age) hence the selection

We'd have a 5th rounder? This phantom only goes to the 4th round but I was pretty sure I'd still be able to match Raak with a 5th rounder.

Pick 68 - Sydney Swans - Josh Treacy 193cm 95kg (Bendigo Pioneers)

Best available at this pick IMO. Chucking up between a few. May have another pick if able... got 1 more that I wouldn't mind to pick up in round 5.

Write up to follow

I MAY host another draft a month out from the actual one. That one I’m happy to go the whole nine yards, full actual draft, rookie, Pre Season you name it. If enough posters want in I’ll make it happen.

I MAY host another draft a month out from the actual one. That one I’m happy to go the whole nine yards, full actual draft, rookie, Pre Season you name it. If enough posters want in I’ll make it happen.

Learning about the draft is the main way I got into AFL. (Rhylee West was one of my old students, I saw his name in an article a family member shared on FB, I started looking into how kids get into the AFL system, and when I'm interested in something, I get really interested.) I'm in.

Learning about the draft is the main way I got into AFL. (Rhylee West was one of my old students, I saw his name in an article a family member shared on FB, I started looking into how kids get into the AFL system, and when I'm interested in something, I get really interested.) I'm in.

Good to hear. I’ll create a thread, maybe tomorrow. Do you want the Doggies?

Yes please, but it could probably wait a long time, no need to make it so soon. Someone could volunteer tomorrow and have left BF entirely by the time it comes around. Make it later on in the year so people can get involved in it soon after seeing it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to hear. I’ll create a thread, maybe tomorrow. Do you want the Doggies?
I’d wait until much closer to the draft.

There’s a very high likelihood that this years draft will be different. Many of us are just waiting to see what it will look like, how many rounds, any new rules, etc.

Ah ah ah, if your gonna do this wait closer to the draft to make your thread. The mods here have been kind so far but having too many different phantom draft threads you could risk getting your thread deleted.

Ohh. I’ll wait until November then.

This thread is for picks only no comments.

Other threads

Comment thread: GoSaints12’s Phantom Draft

Adelaide - Mego Red
Brisbane - briztoon
Carlton - LemmingMaster / Coona Blues
Collingwood - Pie 4 Life
Essendon - eDPS
Fremantle - eastfreo75
Geelong - andleanback
GC - fightingfury_88
GWS - PMBangers
Hawthorn - Davo-27
Melbourne - bone2468
North - dollarscost
Port - Bastyy
Richmond - TheSmythe
St Kilda - Gosaints12
Sydney - Membling
WCE - getgaff
WB - weltschmerz
Fan - RedmanWasHere

Round 1:
1 Gold Coast - Will Phillips
2 North Melbourne - Elijah Holland
3 (WB) - Jamarra Ugle-Hagan
4. Carlton - Riley Thilthorpe
5. Sydney - Reef McInnes
6. (SYD) - Braeden Campbell
7. St Kilda - Zane Trew
8. North Melbourne - Denver Grangier-Barras
9. Adelaide - Kaine Baldwin
10 Fremantle, (Liam Henry) - Nathan O’Driscoll
11 Brisbane Lions - Archie Perkins
12 Hawthorn - Tanner Bruhn
13 Geelong - Oliver Henry
14 Essendon - Logan McDonald
15 Port - Jackson Callow
16 Geelong - Finlay McCrae
17 Hawthorn - Eddie Ford
18 Collingwood - Nik Cox
19 (ADEL) - Luke Edwards
20. Geelong - Sam Berry
21 Richmond - Oliver Davis

Round 2:
22 Gold Coast - Zach Reid
23 Fremantle - Taj Schofield
24 Carlton - Jack Ginnivan
25 Adelaide - Wil Parker
26 Richmond - Heath Chapman
27 Brisbane - Harry Sharp
28 Adelaide - Zac Dumesny
29 Melbourne - Logan Foley
30 North Melbourne - Sam Collins
31 West Coast - Cole Gerloff
32 (Freo) - Brandon Walker
33 Gold Coast - Erroll Gulden
34. Port Adelaide - Chad Pearson
35 (Bris) - Blake Coleman
36 Adelaide - Corey Durdin
37. (Haw) - Connor Downie
38 Collingwood - Carter Micheal

Round 3:
39 Essendon - Zavier Maher
40 (Freo) - Joel Western
41 Melbourne - Pass
42 Carlton - Henry Walsh
43 Port Adelaide - Bailey Chamberlain
44 Collingwood - Charlie Lazzaro
45 Port Adelaide - Isiah Winder
46 Hawthorn - Jack Carrol
47 Hawthorn - Bailey Laurie
48 Western Bulldogs - Lochlan Jenkins
49 West Coast - Dyson Hilder
50 Greater Western Sydney, (Tom Green) - Connor Stone
51 Geelong - Liam McMahon
52 West Coast - Josh Green
53. (ESS) - Cody Brand, (still gotta take of points)
54. Greater Western Sydney - Charlie Byrne
55. Richmond - Angus Baker

Round 4:
56 Geelong - Jackson Cardillo
57 North Melbourne - Jye Sinderberry
58. Essendon - Caleb Poulter
59 (Ess) - Josh Eyre
60. Collingwood - Ryan Angwin
61 North Melbourne - Nick Stevens
62. St Kilda - Josh Clarke
63. Hawthorn - Clayton Gay
64 Adelaide - Tariek Newchurch
65 Western Bulldogs - Ben Kelly
66 Hawthorn - Thomas Panuccio
67 Hawthorn - Cooper Smith
68 St Kilda - Saxon Crozier
69 Sydney - Josh Tracey
70 Gold Coast - Josh Watson
71. Essendon - Pass
72 Greater Western Sydney - Pass
73. Richmond - Maurice Rioli Jr

That’s all she wrote. Thanks for a good draft. It means a lot that you guys came, saw and participated in this. I think the live trading added something very special to these and I’d recommend anyone who runs their own to try it out. Enjoy the rest of your 2020 and I’ll see you on the boards.

Can Essendon just have these selections in the real thing?

Goes to show how much has changed since April

14 Essendon - Logan McDonald
39 Essendon - Zavier Maher
58. Essendon - Caleb Poulter
You can have McDonald and Poulter but Maher is out of the question.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back