GoSaints12 Phantom Draft Game 2021 (Sign Up and Trade Thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds tempting but okay.

So I'll have three in a row now. Believe it starts at #51 after those three bids.

#51 Kai Lohmann (GWV Rebels)
#52 Corey Warner (East Fremantle)
#53 Lewis Rayson (Glenelg)

There's a smorgasbord of mid-range talent left on the board, and I'd never be 100% satisfied, but wanted some clash and some speed and class, so I've picked three guys that can move the ball, and generally use it well, particularly in the case of the others. I'll still have another pick or two, which I'll use on a more speculative player.

Davo-27
Rayson :heart:

I have a feeling Rayson is going to have a fairly solid AFL career, wherever he ends up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trade lodged: Saints trade pick 63 and 64 to North for a future 4th.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

IMG_1734.JPG

It’s draft info in the middle paragraph. The important stuff has been left.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Really happy with North's haul...

1# JHF - well derrrr.....

22# Rhett Bazzo - I did consider Leek Aleer here as he was still available, but I was put off a bit by his limited disposal and rebound. I chose Bazzo over Aleer in the end because I feel he's a tad more versatile and a better distributor than Aleer. In a backline with Corr and McKay, it would be nice to have a KPD with good kicking and disposal skills.

42# Jamal Stretch - I had a long hard think about how to fill North's small forward stocks and researched a few SA and WA prospects. I did consider Isaiah Dudley and Arthur Jones as real smaller pacey options, but I had concerns over Dudley's size and Jones' ability as a pure small forward playing as a winger most of this year. Jahmal is a pure forward, has got good forward nous, a fantastic leap, good size at 181cm for a small forward, got good speed (not quite like Jones or Dudley, but good for a small) had good defensive numbers and is a pressure-first forward with a plenty of tricks.

43# Sam Banks - A rebounding HB replacement for Hall/Ziebell rather than a pure lockdown small defender. A good interceptor, decent-enough speed, good rebounder, a long penetrating kick, classy and versatility to play in the midfield or wing. I did consider Blayne O'Loughlin and a few other options, but his size was a slight concern and his excellent kicking can be a bit off sometimes.
With the addition of Bryce Watson and Fejo Jr, North finally have some leg speed and depth in some important positions. Really happy with the total haul.

Anyway I should get around to giving a few write ups about the players I've drafted:

Pick 13: Josh Goater (190 cm/79 kg, Midfield/Forward, Calder Cannons).

Goater is pretty much the perfect selection for Essendon here. Tall, moves well in traffic, is flexible in his playing position but starts as a midfielder who will spend time inside 50. Essendon have been into him the entire year, having him play a game for the VFL side where he mostly played forward, kicking a goal on his VFL debut.

Pick 40: Paul Curtis (181/71, Small Forward, Western Jets)

Curtis was amongst 3 or 4 small forwards I was considering but the product from the outer western suburbs was the most attractive prospect with his speed and ability to kick goals, averaging 2 a game for the Jets this season, and someone who could step up into senior football in 2022

Pick 66: Luke Nankervis (189/76 Medium Forward, Sandringham Dragons)

Absolutely stoked to have Nankervis slide this far. He's a medium forward who doesn't always hit the scoreboard but is a good link up player between the arcs, averaging a touch under 14 disposals a game in a difficult role for an 18 year old.

Always enjoy seeing phantoms however to make it closer to reality people need to take into consideration how many picks clubs will / can use.

I can't see Brisbane trading out a 1st to gain two extra picks in the 2nd round, they simply do not have 5 free list spots.

And in typical AFL fashion they have changed the rules again to Gold Coast wasn't forced to delist two more players because they have so much talent already on it. PLUS the AFL gifted them an extra pick they traded out for salary cap relief. Really have to wonder about that organisation, continually making up policy on the run.

Final write ups (will be matching any bid on Wanganeen or taking him if unbidded).

Pick 13: Josh Goater (190 cm/79 kg, Midfield/Forward, Calder Cannons).

Goater is pretty much the perfect selection for Essendon here. Tall, moves well in traffic, is flexible in his playing position but starts as a midfielder who will spend time inside 50. Essendon have been into him the entire year, having him play a game for the VFL side where he mostly played forward, kicking a goal on his VFL debut. Averaging 24 disposals for the Cannons this year has affirmed his quality and would be an absolute bargain if he went here on draft night.

Others considered: Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera, Campbell Chesser

Pick 40: Paul Curtis (181/71, Small Forward, Western Jets)

Curtis was amongst 3 or 4 small forwards I was considering but the product from the outer western suburbs was the most attractive prospect with his speed and ability to kick goals, averaging 2 a game for the Jets this season, and someone who could step up into senior football in 2022. Some call him a Jamie Elliott type and I think if that eventuated Essendon fans would be over the moon with this selection.

Others considered: Jahmal Stretch, Kai Lohmann, Luke Nankervis, Miller Bergman

Pick 66: Luke Nankervis (189/76 Medium Forward, Sandringham Dragons)

Absolutely stoked to have Nankervis slide this far. He's a medium forward who doesn't always hit the scoreboard but is a good link up player between the arcs, averaging a touch under 14 disposals a game in a difficult role for an 18 year old. He probably spends most of his time in the VFL for the first two years as he tries to develop as a goal kicker, unless he translates into a genuine winger at that level.

Others considered: Miller Bergman, Charlie Molan, Jai Serong

Pick 74: Charlie Molan (186/78 Outside Midfielder, Greater Western Victoria Rebels)

Molan is a player I see going in the middle of the third round in the actual draft so I really couldn't pass up an opportunity to take him here. He's a player that does most things to a solid standard, averaging 18 disposals, 4.1 marks, 3.4 inside 50's and 2 rebound 50's a game, playing a mix of wing, half forward and half back this season.

Others considered: Jai Serong

Pick 85*: Tex Wanganeen (175/72 small forward, Oakleigh Chargers)

Wanganeen is set to choose Essendon as his preferred destination to Port and whilst I'd be hoping that he slips through the national draft so we can take him as a rookie I'm just taking him here to formalise that. Wanganeen is a creative small to add to Essendon's stocks, having the ability to also use his speed on a wing if necessary.

Others considered: None (F/S)

*Pending an earlier bid match

Always enjoy seeing phantoms however to make it closer to reality people need to take into consideration how many picks clubs will / can use.

I can't see Brisbane trading out a 1st to gain two extra picks in the 2nd round, they simply do not have 5 free list spots.

And in typical AFL fashion they have changed the rules again to Gold Coast wasn't forced to delist two more players because they have so much talent already on it. PLUS the AFL gifted them an extra pick they traded out for salary cap relief. Really have to wonder about that organisation, continually making up policy on the run.

Yeah, the Dogs have I think five list spots, but I figure at max we'll be taking three picks at the draft. Final pick in this phantom will be used to upgrade Roarke Smith to the main list, then I figure we'll take a rookie and a SSP player.

I've essentially treated Molan and Wanganeen as rookie picks. We have 39 on our list (33/4/2) so have the capacity to take 5/0, 4/1 or 3/2 in the ND/RD so I've just decided to fill those two spots even though I'm hoping we get them as rookies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back