Goulburn Murray Football Rebuild ... Your Say

Remove this Banner Ad

My preference would be a First and Second Division with promotion and relegation like the metro leagues. That would make for a closer competition and wouldn't lock clubs into a particular division (Nagambie in a southern division comes to mind). It's not like there's massive geographic divide between KDL clubs, anyway.

However, from the talk around the area, I am 90% sure it will be split along geographic boundaries with a couple of neighbouring clubs looking to come in.

I like the idea of two divisions, though I would prefer it to be performance based. Having it on geographic lines doesn't solve the issue of competition imbalance as Ardmona would be uncompetitive in the north and Longwood would be likewise in the south.

If clubs aren't playing at their level with similar clubs (strong clubs together and struggling clubs together) then the struggling clubs could well face oblivion in the short term. Clubs and leagues need to come to the realisation that if clubs are reliant on recruiting from Melbourne for players then are less likely to travel to play for a team that is routinely belted.

If teams such as Ardmona, Longwood and Violet Town were all playing in a 8 or 10-team competition away from the Tallygaroopnas and Nagambies then they would have a better chance of being competitive each week and therefore attract recruits to their club, knowing that in an 8 or 10-team league their chances of winning matches and playing finals is increased (50% chance if there is a Final Four in an 8 team comp or a Final Five in a 10-team comp). It would also stimulate interest in these clubs and communities.

GOULBURN MURRAY FOOTBALL (BELOW GVL)

NOTE: BASED ON SENIOR FOOTBALL LADDERS AS AT 25/7/19

KYABRAM DIV.1KYABRAM DIV.2MURRAYPICOLA
TallygaropnaGirgarreNathaliaStrathmerton
NagambieDookie UnitedEchuca UnitedWaaia
AvenelShepparton EastNumurkahKatamatite
LancasterRushworthTongalaBerrigan
Murchison-ToolambaViolet TownCobramRennie
StanhopeLongwoodMulwalaDeniliquin Rovers
MerrigumArdmonaCongupnaPicola Utd
UnderaKatandraTungamahYarroweyah
Deniliquin RamsJerilderie
FinleyBlighty
BaroogaMathoura
RumbalaraKatunga
MoamaTocumwal
IN-KatandraOUT-Katandra

I like the depth of though gone into that.

I have Lancefield as a smokie to join the Seymour comp. This week, both they and Broadford have called for meetings to assess their short and medium term options.

I see Avenel being a standout power in Seymour in the short term as a number of the other clubs are well short of that level.

I prefer the idea of the Seymour league over two divisions of Kyabram, but there seem to be mixed messages floating round as to what is the intended course of action. I heard yesterday morning that the SDFL won't get off the ground and they - whoever 'they' are - want Kyabram as North and South divisions (remember the Picola NW and SE comps!).

It would be nice for AFL Outer East and AFL Goulburn Murray to sit down with some of the media from the Goulburn Valley and the Yarra Valley and say 'here's what we are thinking - write it up as an article' so they can get grassroots feedback from a significant proportion of the stakeholders who either play, watch or sponsor.

Last edited:
It’s clear that there is a league missing in this area. Here’s my take on what I believe would work. It would be hit with some complaint, but in my opinion these setups would help with the sustainability of the game in our area.

1. Grouped by geography, standard and likeness of grades offered.

2. Aiming for league size of 10, all with Final Five.

??? League: Congupna, Dookie United, Katandra, Katamatite, Murchison-Toolamba, Shepparton East, Tallygaroopna, Tungamah, Violet Town. (9 teams - add possibly Benalla All Blacks)

Kyabram League: Ardmona, Avenel, Girgarre, Lancaster, Longwood, Merrigum, Nagambie, Rushworth, Stanhope, Undera. (10 teams - add possibly Broadford)

Picola League: Berrigan, Blighty, Deni Rovers, Jerilderie, Katunga, Mathoura, Picola United, Rennie, Strathmerton, Tocumwal, Waaia, Yarroweyah (12 teams)

Murray League: Barooga, Cobram, Deniliquin, Echuca United, Finley, Moama, Mulwala, Nathalia, Numurkah, Rumbalara, Tongala (11 teams)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

As in past seasons, was July 31st the usual cut-off for clubs looking to apply to swap leagues, or given the vulnerable lancscape right now is it bit more felxible this year, allowing time for further discussions etc?

If it was last Wednesday, do we know if any clubs actually have made an official submission?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back