RumbalaraKatunga
MoamaTocumwal
IN-KatandraOUT-Katandra

Why's that
1. Distance from.Melbourne
2. Distance from Seymour / Mansfield / Euroa
3. Farming based community , MDBP / Water
4. Relationship between clubs .

IMO due to a decline in prosperity in farming, I think Finley and Deni Rams will face the biggest challenges in maintaining competiveness in the MFL in the near and distant future, far less stepping up to gvl.

My proposed set up …

GOULBURN MURRAY FOOTBALL (BELOW GVL)

NOTE: BASED ON SENIOR FOOTBALL LADDERS AS AT 25/7/19

KYABRAM DIV.1KYABRAM DIV.2MURRAYPICOLA
TallygaropnaGirgarreNathaliaStrathmerton
NagambieDookie UnitedEchuca UnitedWaaia
AvenelShepparton EastNumurkahKatamatite
LancasterRushworthTongalaBerrigan
Murchison-ToolambaViolet TownCobramRennie
StanhopeLongwoodMulwalaDeniliquin Rovers
MerrigumArdmonaCongupnaPicola Utd
UnderaKatandraTungamahYarroweyah
Deniliquin RamsJerilderie
FinleyBlighty
BaroogaMathoura
RumbalaraKatunga
MoamaTocumwal
IN-KatandraOUT-Katandra
Shepp East and Katandra would dominate that proposal in the short term. Shepp East won't remain at their current statis for long. They are a proud and very successful club and will bounce back extremely quickly to once again be a formidable outfit.
It is well known that Ardmona's future is bleak as early as next year, whilst I'd be astounded if Katandra went to a league who has had limited success in having representation in elite squads eg nab cup.
They currently have two ex players in the bushrangers with one likely to be a top 10 draf pick and if in their current or previous comp will become a destination club for aspiring juniors.
Any alternate change and their ability to field junior sides will be a real issue.

Last edited:
Could get interesting. Depends on how the clubs see the benefits of playing football affiliated or disaffiliated football (costs especially a factor). If the Murray do disaffiliate, either they will lose a number of clubs, remain steady or gain a number of clubs. Don't be surprised if the latter occurs.

It won't quite be an ACB vs WSC scenario but it could invoke interesting talking points along the way.

If a disaffiliated competition proved successful in more than one country region (e.g. Murray, West Gippsland) then maybe it could help change the way AFLV thinks about grassroots football rather than being a cash cow that gets little in return. The Local Footy Show had an interesting story about how much money is raked in from grassroots level and is then used to help fund the AFL. I dare say that a significant part of this revenue from Auskick, affiliation fees, team fees, etc. ends up going towards Chinese junkets, Gold Coast black holes and the funding of development programmes such as the NAB Under 18.

You can find the clip via The Local Footy Show's Facebook page.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back