Goulburn Valley FL 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate sorry to say this but these kids are going to be a long way off the mark against bigger more experienced opponents. If they weren't playing regular Bushies football or were just in the program then there is a considerable gap. I just hope that you are not one of the above mentioned youngsters looking for a pat on the back!
Think im a bit old to be a youngster , im thinking there going to suprise quite alot of people out there this year

Pretty sure Shepp Swans feilded a U18s Team in 2016 made up of about 4 or 5 (core Group) who have been in the bushrangers programme the rest came in to help out to make sure they fielded a team and a number of above age boys stayed back to help out i think the only game they didnt play was against Rochester were they forfeited and managed to beat Seymour in the 2nd last game of the year thats what it says on the gvflWebsite...had a look on the internet at the some of these young fellas who will probabley playing Senior football this year Isiah Jones who has played 5 senior games in 2016 Jared Service who has played 10 senior games 3 games in 2015 as a 16 year old, Joel McCarten debut last year with a couple of senior games and another young fella by the name of Mitch Small who will probably play seniors this year looking at his record at Katunga and the Bushies and thats not forgetting Mitch Walsh and Billy Cooper Jayden Clarke and Jimmy Bennett ,Dont think the Swans are going to be too bad on there day this year
IIRC Mitch Small and Jayden Clarke haven't played a TAC cup game, whilst Billy only played a couple ?

IIRC Mitch Small and Jayden Clarke haven't played a TAC cup game, whilst Billy only played a couple ?
yes correct Clark hasnt played or been in the bushranger system but has played a season in GVFL seniors ,Small been in the bushranger System along with Jones ,Service ,McCarten since 2014 walsh and Bennett also been in the bushranger system according to the Murray Bushrangers Website , so im guessing there pretty talented group seeing not everyone gets a call up

yes correct Clark hasnt played or been in the bushranger system but has played a season in GVFL seniors ,Small been in the bushranger System along with Jones ,Service ,McCarten since 2014 walsh and Bennett also been in the bushranger system according to the Murray Bushrangers Website , so im guessing there pretty talented group seeing not everyone gets a call up
One thing being in a TAC system , its another thing to have actually played TAC Cup.

One thing being in a TAC system , its another thing to have actually played TAC Cup.
yes but all these young blokes have played for the Bushies in different age groups other than TAC and a number of them have also played in national championships for country vic

yes but all these young blokes have played for the Bushies in different age groups other than TAC and a number of them have also played in national championships for country vic

Who has played Nationals? Am with Roar! Easy to get an invite pre-season with the other 100 kids but another thing to have played. Then if only played a couple then usually because not up to that standard. The kids that have an impact at senior level are the good TAC players. Looking forward to seeing the National player names

Who has played Nationals? Am with Roar! Easy to get an invite pre-season with the other 100 kids but another thing to have played. Then if only played a couple then usually because not up to that standard. The kids that have an impact at senior level are the good TAC players. Looking forward to seeing the National player names
My understanding is from the Bushrangers website Jones McCarten Service And Small all played Vline cup wth the Bushrangers Being slected from 139 hopefuls Service was the vice Capt of the DIV 1 team , Jones Service and Small played U16s Bushies being selected from 100 hopefuls Jones made the Tac squad the nxt year Service was injured Small and McCarten were cut at the final cut , and this year in my understanding Jones and Service turned down there invitations back to the Tac squad this year to concentrate on study ALL avaliable on the Murray Bushrangers website

My understanding is from the Bushrangers website Jones McCarten Service And Small all played Vline cup wth the Bushrangers Being slected from 139 hopefuls Service was the vice Capt of the DIV 1 team , Jones Service and Small played U16s Bushies being selected from 100 hopefuls Jones made the Tac squad the nxt year Service was injured Small and McCarten were cut at the final cut , and this year in my understanding Jones and Service turned down there invitations back to the Tac squad this year to concentrate on study ALL avaliable on the Murray Bushrangers website
Mate I have some bad news for you...VLine Cup is NOT Nationals!! Vline cup is the state under 15 competition that is from regional Victoria. IF you are good enough in that then you MIGHT play Bushies. THEN..when you play well; like really well you MIGHT get chosen for the Vic U/16 Squad. After that you MIGHT make the final 23 and actually play a game.

I watched Jones McCarten and service play a lot of junior footy at mooroopna, to be honest it's got me stuffed how they got as far in the "bushies system" as they did! Service is prob the pick of the 3 but I think all 3 boys got a tad bit ahead of themselves a couple of years back!

can u write up my footy resume, I played vline cup, you make it sound very important

According to your original post you were asking who these kids were because you didn't know them. Enjoy your 5 minutes of fame, it's going to be a long year for you and your mates.

According to your original post you were asking who these kids were because you didn't know them. Enjoy your 5 minutes of fame, it's going to be a long year for you and your mates.
Don't know em mate that's why I asked the question nobody could answer so checked them out on the Swans website than on the Bushies website got all the answers from there ....

Don't know em mate that's why I asked the question nobody could answer so checked them out on the Swans website than on the Bushies website got all the answers from there ....

Mate..you need to come up with something better than that! Move on to another subject as its blatantly obvious that you and your mates are just carrying on about the Swans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The other "new" recruit I'm really looking forward to seeing is Perry Oliver. Half a season back and and full preseason, wonder how far back him can come

It's an intriguing question isn't it ... He was almost in the 'elite' level prior to his 1st knee reco and then it went to the shite from there.

His game in the GF gives us hope ... while he can't jump as high, he is still a brilliant kick and as you say, a pre-season opens up options as to what position he might play. I wouldn't mind seeing him playing up forward a bit in 2017.

No doubt that the TAC Cup is an excellent standard and the preferred pathway, but we are kidding ourselves if we sit here and say that the kids are no good because they didn't go through this pathway. From Rochester, Nick O'Connor, Nathan Marrone, Mitch Bright, James Gledhill, Dillon Williams all did not go through this system and would play senior footy at every club in the comp. Preferred pathway, but some great kids miss out on this process.

No doubt that the TAC Cup is an excellent standard and the preferred pathway, but we are kidding ourselves if we sit here and say that the kids are no good because they didn't go through this pathway. From Rochester, Nick O'Connor, Nathan Marrone, Mitch Bright, James Gledhill, Dillon Williams all did not go through this system and would play senior footy at every club in the comp. Preferred pathway, but some great kids miss out on this process.
I don't think anyone was suggesting players had to go via TAC to be any good, more that it was being suggested that being within TAC squad justified a player as a ready made player who would have a large impact.

Agree with you mate in relation to the five Rochy boys you mention but all are now seasoned players in their early-mid 20's. They are the foundation of the footy club for the next 10 years.

I think Ringo's point is that these kids from the Shepp Swans are not going to cut it at senior level in the GVFL in 2017. Give them five years like the Rochy boys you mention and they may prove to be the same in 2021.

That said, I wouldn't want to assume I know what Ringo thinks.

Last edited:
Agree with you mate in relation to the five Rochy boys you mention but all are now seasoned players in their early-mid 20's. They are the foundation of the footy club for the next 10 years.

I think Ringo's point is that these kids from the Shepp Swans are not going to cut it at senior level in the GVFL in 2017. Give them five years like the Rochy boys you mention and they may prove to be the same in 2021.

That said, I wouldn't want to assume I know what Ringo thinks.

On the Money Tongue. I don't like it when posters post utter rubbish! The poster said that the boys had played Nationals and when questioned stated they had played Vline Cup. Now that is like comparing Virat Kholi and Glen McGrath as batsman...there is a huge difference. I also agree that many boys do miss out on Tac and some just develop later and become better players than some of the Tac players.

Last edited:
On the Money Tongue. I don't like it when posters post utter rubbish! The poster said that the boys had played Nationals and when questioned stated they had played Vline Cup. Now that is like comparing Virat Kholi and Glen McGrath as batsman...there is a huge difference. I also agree that many boys do miss out on Tac and some just develop later and become better players than some of the Tac players.
Come on Ringo, how many Test 50s did you make? ;)

I'd be inclined to back some of the young blokes who don't go through the TAC "system" but play Senior footy regularly before being ineligible age wise. They seem to know a bit more about playing against adults.

Gentlemen, My views on 2017 top 6

1st - Kyabram
I expect the gap between first and second to close considerably this year. that said I have Ky at $1.20 to go back to back.
Mangan is a quality in and should fill part of the on field leadership void left by Newman. Will be a similar looking Ky to last year, can only see them loosing 2 games.

2nd - Shepp Bears
Pending the rumours circulating about Wong and weather that will also impact the the signings he has played a part in shepp securing. At this stage Lets assume Wong and the other signings as in. Quality signings to a side that showed a lot late in 2016. Davis will really pick this team up and drag them deep into finals i believe.. any news on departures??

3rd - Rochester
Few departures, notably Bacon and Anderson. A side that pushed Ky more than people expected in the big dance last year. No word on any big signings but always expect 1 or 2 to fly under the radar or sign late with Rochy

4th - Echuca
Under achievers in 2016 as labelled by most, I rate their list and expect it to 'click' for them this year. big wraps on Kirkby. I feel they could go deep into september if they get it right.

5th - Benalla
Being written off by quite a few by the sounds. put simply I think their list is still capable of playing finals, a few departures but more than enough quality in Morgan, Marchbank, Priest co running around.

6th - Euroa
Not buying the hype from what I see, Hayes and Bail great pick ups no doubt but lost their 2 most important players in Horsbourgh and Ikupu, lack of depth killed the pies last year but from all reports there will be plenty this year, quality of it remains to be seen.

Gentlemen, My views on 2017 top 6

1st - Kyabram
I expect the gap between first and second to close considerably this year. that said I have Ky at $1.20 to go back to back.
Mangan is a quality in and should fill part of the on field leadership void left by Newman. Will be a similar looking Ky to last year, can only see them loosing 2 games.

2nd - Shepp Bears
Pending the rumours circulating about Wong and weather that will also impact the the signings he has played a part in shepp securing. At this stage Lets assume Wong and the other signings as in. Quality signings to a side that showed a lot late in 2016. Davis will really pick this team up and drag them deep into finals i believe.. any news on departures??

3rd - Rochester
Few departures, notably Bacon and Anderson. A side that pushed Ky more than people expected in the big dance last year. No word on any big signings but always expect 1 or 2 to fly under the radar or sign late with Rochy

4th - Echuca
Under achievers in 2016 as labelled by most, I rate their list and expect it to 'click' for them this year. big wraps on Kirkby. I feel they could go deep into september if they get it right.

5th - Benalla
Being written off by quite a few by the sounds. put simply I think their list is still capable of playing finals, a few departures but more than enough quality in Morgan, Marchbank, Priest co running around.

6th - Euroa
Not buying the hype from what I see, Hayes and Bail great pick ups no doubt but lost their 2 most important players in Horsbourgh and Ikupu, lack of depth killed the pies last year but from all reports there will be plenty this year, quality of it remains to be seen.

Nice summation mate. Agree with most apart from Benalla. Priest and Marchbank are out. Martinello to the EDFL. Jacka applied for a clearance. I see them outside the top 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back