Goulburn Valley FL 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regardless of the level roota you’d think it would have added incentive for players to want to grace the G ?

What are the odds of this falling through again? Remember last season (may have been the season before, can't quite remember) when Seymour and Ky were supposed to play as the curtain raiser. Plenty of chat and hype about it all, but it fell through.

Wouldn't have thought they would let it fall through again, great initiative and surly would promote inter-league on a whole. Mind you, the GV desperate for a win! Rank #2 not so long ago, now pushing right out. Different story if all GV players commited every year, id say the GV would have a few more wins on the board, but I suppose this could be said right across the country.

Smith to get picked up in the national/rookie draft by the cats IMO, hence why not named on VFL list as he will be AFL listed. Just my thoughts, good enough to have a go you'd say? Will be a shock to most clubs, as I wouldn't suggest many would know the young man. But could make an immediate impact with the key backs who have finished up and retired at the cats. Clark on the other hand thats a little rare that he isn't listed down on the VFL list. Pretty sure it was mentioned earlier, but the VFL Cats like to have local clubs as the players secondary club (e.g GFL teams - much easier to keep an eye on there players when not playing VFL level). This could show some hope for other GV teams to knock off the mighty bombers.

Yeah interesting post Dees64. Hearing Stroobants and Marrone are having a crack at a VFL list. Not sure which clubs exactly, but hearing Geelong, Werribee and possibly Essendon through the Daniel Schmidt link with the Essendon VFL side.

Smith to get picked up in the national/rookie draft by the cats IMO, hence why not named on VFL list as he will be AFL listed. Just my thoughts, good enough to have a go you'd say? Will be a shock to most clubs, as I wouldn't suggest many would know the young man. But could make an immediate impact with the key backs who have finished up and retired at the cats. Clark on the other hand thats a little rare that he isn't listed down on the VFL list. Pretty sure it was mentioned earlier, but the VFL Cats like to have local clubs as the players secondary club (e.g GFL teams - much easier to keep an eye on there players when not playing VFL level). This could show some hope for other GV teams to knock off the mighty bombers.

Mate he was at Collingwood and didn't make the grade. Be great if he does get rookied but the Cats now have a 34 yr old mid and the Tom Ruggles experiment failed. Stewart has been reasonable. If I was in the cats position Id be going for some youth.

When was the last time a player got picked up straight out of the GVFL who hadn''t spent the majority of the previous season playing TAC or VFL .

Last edited:
When was the last time a player got picked up straight out of the who hasn't spent the majority of the previous season playing TAC or VFL .

You could be right fellas, he may not. But just a hope I had he would get picked up and something I still think can happen. If geelong cats recruiters were watching him play throughout the year then you would have to say there is some hope wouldn’t you? Wouldn’t have thought that would drive up to Ky for no reason?? Anyway, that was just my opinion boys. Would be great to see it make it if he did, but at the very least he will still be in the cats uniform at VFL Level.

You could be right fellas, he may not. But just a hope I had he would get picked up and something I still think can happen. If geelong cats recruiters were watching him play throughout the year then you would have to say there is some hope wouldn’t you? Wouldn’t have thought that would drive up to Ky for no reason?? Anyway, that was just my opinion boys. Would be great to see it make it if he did, but at the very least he will still be in the cats uniform at VFL Level.

There was one player drafted from Country Vic last year. Be great for him but don't know who starts this stuff. No club has any idea who they will get draft night after about the first 5-6 picks. For a club to come out and say they will Rookie someone is a load of rubbish. They have no idea who will be left in the rookie pool after the draft. For instance if Billy Hartung was left Im sure clubs would be having a crack at a 23 /24 year old with 63 AFL games under his belt instead of a guy who didn't make it at Collingwood as a rookie and the same age. If they are desperate for a ruckman maybe but I have my doubts.

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2011-12-13/rookie-draft-welcome-to-collingwood

Interesting to read that the GV interleague side will play on the MCG this coming season. Will that help lift interest levels in players?
It may increase the interest for one year however the GVFL playing at the MCG is not likely to be sustained and unfortunately I think interleague within the current format is short lived. As a whole people want to spend less time within sport and those demanding more of their time are being met with resentment.

There was one player drafted from Country Vic last year. Be great for him but don't know who starts this stuff. No club has any idea who they will get draft night after about the first 5-6 picks. For a club to come out and say they will Rookie someone is a load of rubbish. They have no idea who will be left in the rookie pool after the draft. For instance if Billy Hartung was left Im sure clubs would be having a crack at a 23 /24 year old with 63 AFL games under his belt instead of a guy who didn't make it at Collingwood as a rookie and the same age. If they are desperate for a ruckman maybe but I have my doubts.
So your saying my dream of playing in a Richmond premiership side is shot ?

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2011-12-13/rookie-draft-welcome-to-collingwood

Also think afl has changed now to when lachie was rookied. I don't know what went on in that year like you probably do but he was only an 18-19 year old kid yeah?

Afl these days are searching for guys who can take intercept marks down back rather than opposed to just purely spoiling. The fact alone that lachie is a jet in this area would have some clubs interested IMO.

Also think afl has changed now to when lachie was rookied. I don't know what went on in that year like you probably do but he was only an 18-19 year old kid yeah?

Afl these days are searching for guys who can take intercept marks down back rather than opposed to just purely spoiling. The fact alone that lachie is a jet in this area would have some clubs interested IMO.

Not sure why Collingwood would've let him go ! I just don't know where these rumours come from. Clubs keep their cards close to their chest and seen plenty of kids being told they were going to get picked up or saying they will get picked up and it doesn't happen. Hope he does but just don't understand how everyone knows he is going to get Rookied when they themselves wouldn't know who is available.

Not sure why Collingwood would've let him go ! I just don't know where these rumours come from. Clubs keep their cards close to their chest and seen plenty of kids being told they were going to get picked up or saying they will get picked up and it doesn't happen. Hope he does but just don't understand how everyone knows he is going to get Rookied when they themselves wouldn't know who is available.

I suggest more mature aged rookies might be given some assurance as they would have to find part time work wouldn’t they as well ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When was the last time a player got picked up straight out of the GVFL who hadn''t spent the majority of the previous season playing TAC or VFL .

Brendan Parker (tonny to carlton) and Alan Thorpe (tat to footscray) in the 90s... thats how far back youd have to go id reckon

Keep hearing shallow draft and might be a couple of surprises like this.
In saying that do most people reckon as a player matures they become a better player? I certainly do and I think whilst something like this may not eventuate you can definitely see improvement in Lachie Smiths years in the GV. If Smith is better now in the opinion of recruiters and has a better overall game to suit a club, why cant it be done?
Its basically like telling a young bloke who gets delisted at 20 years old or never chosen in a draft initially that it cant happen.........HELLOOOWW Kane Lambert.

Brendan Parker (tonny to carlton) and Alan Thorpe (tat to footscray) in the 90s... thats how far back youd have to go id reckon
I remember Jason Trianidis from United played a couple of reserves games with North Melbourne in 1993, played in the winning reserves grand final that year in the GVFL and was listed by St. Kilda

Swans kicked of pre season tonight I think. I was walking the dog down there tonight and noticed they only had about 10 on the track. Hopefully they had a few apologies

Keep hearing shallow draft and might be a couple of surprises like this.
In saying that do most people reckon as a player matures they become a better player? I certainly do and I think whilst something like this may not eventuate you can definitely see improvement in Lachie Smiths years in the GV. If Smith is better now in the opinion of recruiters and has a better overall game to suit a club, why cant it be done?
Its basically like telling a young bloke who gets delisted at 20 years old or never chosen in a draft initially that it cant happen.........HELLOOOWW Kane Lambert.

True GG but Lambert was a B & F at the Northern Blues then went to Williamstown where he tore opposition sides a new one in the VFL final series with a 5 goal haul against Sandy in a cut throat final, 3 of those in the last 1/4 to get Willy over the line. Big difference between GV and VFL footy. Lambert dominated VFL. Im not saying Smith wont get drafted...I just find it difficult to comprehend how a club would know who is available in the rookie draft until after the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back