Goulburn Valley FL 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah fair point. We still have a reliance upon Sammy Brennan but we have since his combination with Ryan Smith. Rochy certainly chased a ruckman from Bendigo ... who went to Leichville-Gunbower for plenty of coin!

Big Pilch could not say no to the big bags of cash over at Leitchy

Last edited:
Shepparton forward James Wong will have his fate decided tonight in a meeting with AFL Victoria at Visy Park in Melbourne.

Wong is contracted at the Bears, but has signalled his intentions to move to Western Region Football League club Newport Power.

With the two clubs now at loggerheads, Newport have requested a meeting with Shepparton, Wong and AFL officials, which will determine the forwards future.
By
SHEPPARTON NEWS
I think clubs should be checking whether the AFL Vic contract actually stand up legally.
Far to often we see clubs sign players, clubs uphold their side of the bargain only for players to piss off to the next highest bidder and for the contract to be overturned at appeal and for clubs to be told they have no legal standing.
It shits me to tears, I am not a shepp bears fan , however they are a great case in point.
Recruited Wong as a marque player and probably paid him a little more than his worth to assist attracting players and someone to build around.
They then get the players to support him only for him to take up a more attractive offer and leave the club high and dry.
In a time of player points, instead of him losing a point for his service last year, a suitable replacement if available is going to cost them another point.
Not being able to hold players on contracts I think is as annoying to clubs as anything currently in footy.

I think clubs should be checking whether the AFL Vic contract actually stand up legally.
Far to often we see clubs sign players, clubs uphold their side of the bargain only for players to piss off to the next highest bidder and for the contract to be overturned at appeal and for clubs to be told they have no legal standing.
It shits me to tears, I am not a shepp bears fan , however they are a great case in point.
Recruited Wong as a marque player and probably paid him a little more than his worth to assist attracting players and someone to build around.
They then get the players to support him only for him to take up a more attractive offer and leave the club high and dry.
In a time of player points, instead of him losing a point for his service last year, a suitable replacement if available is going to cost them another point.
Not being able to hold players on contracts I think is as annoying to clubs as anything currently in footy.

Well said Roar. But on the flip side I have been part of clubs, and witnessed clubs, who are pretty quick to pull the trigger on perceived underperforming contracted players.

Case in point, and quite correctly, Aaron Ramsay and Luke Wilson at Rochy a few years back. (Wilson may have pulled the pin himself once Ramsay got his marching orders)

Well said Roar. But on the flip side I have been part of clubs, and witnessed clubs, who are pretty quick to pull the trigger on perceived underperforming contracted players.

Case in point, and quite correctly, Aaron Ramsay and Luke Wilson at Rochy a few years back. (Wilson may have pulled the pin himself once Ramsay got his marching orders)
Under performing may be a means to screw up a contract but I am not sure it is a means to assume the contract should be extended, which I agree some clubs seem to think is the case.
Surely it's not that hard when writing a contract, to write it so that it stipulates senior games played, rather than annual term which would also protect clubs a little if a player becomes injured.

Sport
Wong remains a Bear
by
SHEPPARTON NEWS
MARCH 08, 2017
Will he or wont he?
UPDATE: Shepparton has retained star forward James Wong after an AFL Victoria appeals hearing in Melbourne tonight.

Western Region Football League club Newport Power was looking to lure the contracted Wong away from the Bears.

But AFL Victoria dismissed Newport's appeal, meaning Wong will stay in the Goulburn Valley Football League this year as Shepparton looks to improve on a stunning run to the finals last season.

More in Friday's News.

That's big...will he play or will he sit out for a year?
Cant imagine he would not play.. maybe play a couple less games? Im not sure the circumstances of why he wanted out but he would be on good $$ he will still turn up for the yellow envelope each week.

It appears my pre empted thought, that he would be cleared was, clearly WONG.
Said it before and will repeat, contracts are only enforceable by the courts. The AFL rules are still subject to judicial interpretation if someone has the cash to push the barrow; it will happen. Offering an inducement to break a contract is a big "no no" and it would be wonderful if a body actually took this to court (hello AFL Vic) so that a definitive ruling might negate those with more money than moral integrity from going down this path.

Cant imagine he would not play.. maybe play a couple less games? Im not sure the circumstances of why he wanted out but he would be on good $$ he will still turn up for the yellow envelope each week.
Mmmm failure to perform is a ground for breach of contract. Probably needs to turn up and give it a "red hot go" otherwise the "yellow envelope" may not appear

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And where is the line drawn at failed to perform?
Unless he sits down and starts eating pies like that soccer goal keeper he'll receive it.

Ha ha. And tell your mates you are at 10 to one to eat a pie during the game ... But gambling in sport is off topic I guess.

That's big...will he play or will he sit out for a year?

If Wong wanted out I think he might just sit out the year. Don't think he needs the coin as he will just work Sat mornings as was his plan this season..

I'm all for contracts being honoured btw. If you really have a legitimate reason then that should be considered. Moving, Family illness etc..

Come on ringo ... ladder mate. Based upon what we currently know.

And the rest of you posters ... let's see some predictions and have debate.

Ok mate will have a crack

Kyabram
Shepparton
Rochester
Seymour
Echuca
Euroa
Tatura
Mansfield
Benalla
Shepp United
Mooroopna
Swans

Last edited:
If Wong wanted out I think he might just sit out the year. Don't think he needs the coin as he will just work Sat mornings as was his plan this season..

I'm all for contracts being honoured btw. If you really have a legitimate reason then that should be considered. Moving, Family illness etc..
Wong will play he came out in the paper and said he loved the Shepp Footy Club while he was trying to get cleared from there. He was also in contract and had recruited 2 mates there so it was unlikely to go Newports way.

Fair enough Doc, but why put a. clearance in then? Strange!
The story doing the rounds is that he is a Tennis Coach and was getting some new courts built and the Coach of Newport builds Tennis courts and offered him a significant discount which lured him in around double what he is getting at Shepp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back