Goulburn Valley FL 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope that's misinformation about over-age players getting a game over eligible players. Otherwise League needs to investigate.
Also encouraging that Swans got a team up.
Interesting to see a promising forward come off the bench to play well in in the Kyabram Reserves. A big fella by the name of Paul Newman. Not sure if he's good enough to make in the ones though!
Looked like he'd been in a good paddock
But could easily play in seniors ahead of 28 and 34 who struggled yesty

Rochester may drop off the pace going by round 1 scores
League seems very open after Kyabram
Euroa could be top 2 side
Echuca dropping off and be another disappointing year, they need Ringo back at the helm
United have some nice kids and will surprise alot of sides
Shepparton good signs but rusty early and Wong back in will help
A lot of sides be fighting for 2-8th spot
Benalla well structured team under Luke Morgan
Mooroopna not sure if gone back or forward will need to improve to get first win in over a year
Swans are in more trouble than Bill Cosby

Kyabram and shepparton do battle this Saturday night the 2 sides most experts had finishing top 2 After watching both sides in the last couple of days Kyabram for mine by 38 points they just simply have to many top players !!!

Rochester may drop off the pace going by round 1 scores
League seems very open after Kyabram
Euroa could be top 2 side
Echuca dropping off and be another disappointing year, they need Ringo back at the helm

United have some nice kids and will surprise alot of sides
Shepparton good signs but rusty early and Wong back in will help
A lot of sides be fighting for 2-8th spot
Benalla well structured team under Luke Morgan
Mooroopna not sure if gone back or forward will need to improve to get first win in over a year
Swans are in more trouble than Bill Cosby

Early call on Rochy there Carbs. Didnt Seymour finish top four last year?

I think we know the Lions have improved, so given the 20 point margin I think we can presume yhe Tigers are not that far off the mark.

Time will tell I guess.

Interesting to see the Shepp Swans being allocated an extra 6 points that they asked for due to an exodus of players All this time thinking that extra points would go if asked to clubs that have really struggled over the years Not to a club that has played finals the last 4 years Also euroa have been given an extra 4 ????? What do you guys think !!

Interesting to see the Shepp Swans being allocated an extra 6 points that they asked for due to an exodus of players All this time thinking that extra points would go if asked to clubs that have really struggled over the years Not to a club that has played finals the last 4 years Also euroa have been given an extra 4 ????? What do you guys think !!

The proverbial will 'hit the fan' when/if Euroa push deep into the finals I think swoop ...

The proverbial will 'hit the fan' when/if Euroa push deep into the finals I think swoop ...

Doesn't feel right at all. Bad look for euroa I reckon. It almost feels like they went out and recruited, then added the points up and realised they would be cutting it fine so applied to the league for more. Kind of defeats the purpose of the points in the first place.
Bears used 41/42, Wong will be worth 2pts so that places them at their limit. Do they have any other players to come back into that side from Friday?

I'm thinking the 6 could well be Ky Euroa Shepp Seymour Benalla and Rochester with Tatura the side outside that with the best chance of getting in. Couldn't see any of the others getting in at this stage.

Given Euroa is one of the smaller towns I dont have a big worry with it although they need to provide clarity with the criteria or reasoning to any extra pounts they allocate.

IMO, untill criteria is set for the allocation of points , there will continue to be confusion and angst amongst clubs.

Its a tough one.. I wouldnt mind the swans being given an extra 2 or 3 at this stage if it stops us having a year where another team goes 18 rounds without a win.. euroa have played finals once in about 10 years i think. and there last premiership goes back quite some time and as discussed last night they have 4 sets of home grown brothers in that side. On the flip side they are the second closest club to melbourne which makes recruiting easier so they cant cry about being one of the smallest towns in the comp forever... I dont see an issue with them having a few more points, they clearly arent just going out buying high profile players, i think they genuinely need a little help to put a good list on the park. It should go back down without the opportunity to apply for more next year though, if they cant retain their recruites then bad luck..

Its a tough one.. I wouldnt mind the swans being given an extra 2 or 3 at this stage if it stops us having a year where another team goes 18 rounds without a win.. euroa have played finals once in about 10 years i think. and there last premiership goes back quite some time and as discussed last night they have 4 sets of home grown brothers in that side. On the flip side they are the second closest club to melbourne which makes recruiting easier so they cant cry about being one of the smallest towns in the comp forever... I dont see an issue with them having a few more points, they clearly arent just going out buying high profile players, i think they genuinely need a little help to put a good list on the park. It should go back down without the opportunity to apply for more next year though, if they cant retain their recruites then bad luck..

Euroa played with 40 points on Saturday in Echuca, I think you will find that there club only did what was allowed by the rule book. They applied for extra points on the basis of the town size and amount of locals in comparison to other clubs. AFL Victoria have given it the rubber stamp so no issue.

There improvement this year will be due to a driven young playing/coach who has recruited well and got the locals back to the club and all behind him. It was a very daring appointment by Euroa to sound out JD Hayes at the tender age of 21, but he and his magpies could really shake up the league this year with there up tempo game style they were way to quick for Echuca who looked rather slow against the magpies.

Will be an interesting match up in round three against the bears and be a good guide to where both teams are at, because I'd say shepp have probably recruited the best in the off season of any team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can understand the Shepp Swans getting help when they were in all sorts of trouble. Not sure the competition needs previous successful clubs to bottom out before getting a hand out (even though we might like it). The competition works best when it's even. Euroa getting help is a strange one. Not really on considering where they were at with their recruiting. Not their fault, perhaps a bit cheeky l, but up the decision makers. May have got this one wrong.

Euroa played with 40 points on Saturday in Echuca, I think you will find that there club only did what was allowed by the rule book. They applied for extra points on the basis of the town size and amount of locals in comparison to other clubs. AFL Victoria have given it the rubber stamp so no issue.

There improvement this year will be due to a driven young playing/coach who has recruited well and got the locals back to the club and all behind him. It was a very daring appointment by Euroa to sound out JD Hayes at the tender age of 21, but he and his magpies could really shake up the league this year with there up tempo game style they were way to quick for Echuca who looked rather slow against the magpies.

Will be an interesting match up in round three against the bears and be a good guide to where both teams are at, because I'd say shepp have probably recruited the best in the off season of any team.

Heard JD Hayes talk on Saturday and was very impressed. Judging a coach is not just about talking to the playing group! What was super impressive was the fast movement of the ball by hand and their run and carry. They then defended well without the ball. Very quick and very well drilled team. As for Echuca, unless they can find some leg speed it will be difficult for them to play finals this year. I know its only round one but once the ball hits the ground in their forward half they look slow.

Can understand the Shepp Swans getting help when they were in all sorts of trouble. Not sure the competition needs previous successful clubs to bottom out before getting a hand out (even though we might like it). The competition works best when it's even. Euroa getting help is a strange one. Not really on considering where they were at with their recruiting. Not their fault, perhaps a bit cheeky l, but up the decision makers. May have got this one wrong.

Every club should have the opportunity to be successful and in turn at times bottom out. The GV has probably been one of the only country leagues in recent times where there hasn't been an absolute whipping boy of a side year after year as well as sides going on huge premiership runs. That to me is the sign of a relatively healthy football league. What we are seeing in lots of leagues where sides are on 6,7 and 8 year premiership runs is killing country footy

I'm thinking the 6 could well be Ky Euroa Shepp Seymour Benalla and Rochester with Tatura the side outside that with the best chance of getting in. Couldn't see any of the others getting in at this stage.
Pretty close to the mark I think Doc, I'd say injuries will play a big part the teams that can keep the best players on the ground will be best positioned, teams don't have much debth these days, good fringe players tend to go to other clubs for more opportunities or play in the minor leagues.

Every club should have the opportunity to be successful and in turn at times bottom out. The GV has probably been one of the only country leagues in recent times where there hasn't been an absolute whipping boy of a side year after year as well as sides going on huge premiership runs. That to me is the sign of a relatively healthy football league. What we are seeing in lots of leagues where sides are on 6,7 and 8 year premiership runs is killing country footy
Success often self fulfills and creates its own culture. It's ironic to say success is killing country footy, but it would be nice to see it shared around. You can't penalise clubs for being successful either, but you can give a leg up to other teams to help them be on a more level playing field. I think the thing really killing country footy is lack of player numbers.

Success often self fulfills and creates its own culture. It's ironic to say success is killing country footy, but it would be nice to see it shared around. You can't penalise clubs for being successful either, but you can give a leg up to other teams to help them be on a more level playing field. I think the thing really killing country footy is lack of player numbers.

All fair points there

Many are suggesting interest in playing footy in the region has never been lower and restricting the options for players , is likely to only increase player shortage.

Well unfortunately for some supporters after round 2 this week, we will know who the top 6 or 7 sides will be for the season. Other then Shepparton who will be beaten by Kyabram this week all of the other winners from last week will win again. I think it's going to be a season with a lot of one sided results.

Well unfortunately for some supporters after round 2 this week, we will know who the top 6 or 7 sides will be for the season. Other then Shepparton who will be beaten by Kyabram this week all of the other winners from last week will win again. I think it's going to be a season with a lot of one sided results.
I'd say United at home at Deakin would give themselves a chance against Rochy based on first Round results and won't be alot in Mooroopna and Tat either. Tat don't have a Bannister outside of his firepower the Cats gave a good account of themselves. There will be some upsets over the year Im sure.

I believe there is player(s) within a club , who is close to the mark, who attract points and are thinking about giving the game away.
They don't want to move clubs , wish to and if not for points system would be playing senior footy.

I feel this is a huge risk with the points system.

A players free will choice as to where they play footy is now greatly influenced by a rule Clubs wanted.

So a player thinks "I want to move to play with my mate/s" used to be that simple.

Now the club and player have to consider how many points will I be, how many points does the club have, Does my ability warrant the points I'm allocated and how will it impact their sides points and if I'm picked in senior side.....

all he wanted to do was move to another club or as you mention stay at a club now happy at but have points attached to them from prior history that's causing issues.

iMO If players feel their choice of club or selection is being hampered by a rule created by clubs to control player movement they will most certainly say "stuff it there is plenty other things I can do with my free time, if I can't play where I want I just won't play" I suggest this is a very real possibility.

Clubs do not own players and I sure wish they would stop acting like they do because then maybe leagues could work together to come up with solutions that benefit everyone. Sister clubs were mentioned somewhere that's type of thing I'm talking about. But the idea of player ownership including home grown needs to go.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back