Goulburn Valley FL 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking Ky might have to sack a few players in order to make the competition interesting next year.;)
On a serious note, speaking to a well credentialed umpire today about all the departures from our beloved GV, and he commented that the Murray League would be stronger than the GV next year. Is that a slap in the face and/ or is he on the money folk?

I am thinking Ky might have to sack a few players in order to make the competition interesting next year.;)
On a serious note, speaking to a well credentialed umpire today about all the departures from our beloved GV, and he commented that the Murray League would be stronger than the GV next year. Is that a slap in the face and/ or is he on the money folk?
Not quite on the money but it is sad to see so many good players depart the GV, they won't be replaced with the points system operating, he will be on the money in a few years though I'd say if things don't change.

Many mutual supporters have mentioned to me that aside from Kyabram , the MFL was a fair way in front of the GVFL in 2017 .
Some may have been sniffing crack but they suggested the PDFL granny at Katandra was the best game they seen all year.

Totally agree Ringo. The role is now a full time job and has to be recognised as such. If it solely consisted of coaching, development and mentoring, then 40 to 60 hours a week for 52 weeks of the year may well cover it. But if you add in recruitment expectations, mediator role, public relations and various other administrative roles then it becomes impossible. I have been doing some line coaching roles recently and can tell you I would not even consider a head coach role. It's a under recognised role with brutal unrealistic expectations. I hope Pete considers staying involved at some level, maybe a return to TAC. It would be a huge loss to our football community to lose his knowledge and expertise.

Spot on Scribe...I mean what are clubs doing to help? GV and country footy in all sorts at the moment IMO. Clubs need s recruiting departments or as you say it becomes a FT gig for 60K-80K. To be a coach means spending Sept-Xmas on the phone .

Yep heard it was just announced at their meeting. Scotty was last years reserves coach I think. Not sure what the thinking was behind this other then they needed an immediate appointment to avoid a disaster occurring. Good luck to Scotty but I don't think he would be your first choice for a GV senior coach role.

Yeah, correct, but he's a local....the 'club' are happy....at this time of the year?? Club still in a good position for 2018... good on you Scotty..

Girl's View

Totally agree Ringo. The role is now a full time job and has to be recognised as such. If it solely consisted of coaching, development and mentoring, then 40 to 60 hours a week for 52 weeks of the year may well cover it. But if you add in recruitment expectations, mediator role, public relations and various other administrative roles then it becomes impossible. I have been doing some line coaching roles recently and can tell you I would not even consider a head coach role. It's a under recognised role with brutal unrealistic expectations. I hope Pete considers staying involved at some level, maybe a return to TAC. It would be a huge loss to our football community to lose his knowledge and expertise.

Peter is a passionate man and a great football person! Unfortunately we are losing too many quality people due to the lack of respect for the role, shown by clubs, committees, players and supporters. Its time that there is a coaching support network set up for country mentors. I propose that there should be a person or business model that mediates between clubs/coaches to try and fix issues or to soften the landing when things turn sour. Coaches need more support!

That's why it's important for a club to have a recruiting committee in place...and working together...sometimes a 'local' is best...starts with juniors..knowledge...respect..

Girl's View

Peter is a passionate man and a great football person! Unfortunately we are losing too many quality people due to the lack of respect for the role, shown by clubs, committees, players and supporters. Its time that there is a coaching support network set up for country mentors. I propose that there should be a person or business model that mediates between clubs/coaches to try and fix issues or to soften the landing when things turn sour. Coaches need more support!
I think there is a job for you ringo. Totally support your stance on this mate as it is obviously becoming imperative the league need to support coaches. Mentoring is common in most professional careers. My understanding is Rochy set up a recruiting committee this year to support Flaherty.(Always had one of sorts) He is part of it but it's not left to Flaherty as the key man. Coaches need greater support from the governance.

Yeah, correct, but he's a local....the 'club' are happy....at this time of the year?? Club still in a good position for 2018... good on you Scotty..

Girl's View
No need to post 'girl's view' at the end of each post Royale. It's your view and that is the key point as the gender of the poster should be irrelevant. Adding to the conversation is key so welcome to the thread.

No need to post 'girl's view' at the end of each post Royale. It's your view and that is the key point as the gender of the poster should be irrelevant. Adding to the conversation is key so welcome to the thread.

Correct, I'm entitled to my opinion too, does that offend you?

Girl's View

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been involved in the GVNL for over 30 years ! And believe I have a very good understanding !

Girl's View
Suspect you have misunderstood what I meant. I embrace male/female/trans opinions on this forum. It's about the conversation. All that matters to me is what is said, not the identity of the poster.

Suspect you have misunderstood what I meant. I embrace male/female/trans opinions on this forum. It's about the conversation. All that matters to me is what is said, not the identity of the poster.

I agree

Man's view

I just took 'offence' to the girls view...when you 'set up ' you get the option...otherwise..all good...have kept a few opinions to myself, but will, now let loose.

Girl's View

I've been 'lucky' to have been involved in 3 GVNL clubs...my heart lies with one that I brought up in(family)but have complete respect...

Girl's View

That's why it's important for a club to have a recruiting committee in place...and working together...sometimes a 'local' is best...starts with juniors..knowledge...respect..

Girl's View
Whats with the 'local' bit? I totally disagree that you need a 'local'....you need someone from outside to ensure there is a different view about football, no closed culture. Yes there are times that a local can be a good mentor but look at Buckley,Voss,Bartlett and co. An outsider wont play favorites and players start with a clean slate. Scotts appointment at United hopefully has been made around coaching acumen...not being a 'local'. No disrespect to him but what are his credentials with coaching?

Unfortunately ringo it is a sign of the times. The workload on club volunteers has increased ten fold in the past 4-5 years with increased requirements being bestowed upon them and increasing penalties if they unknowingly make a mistake.
The result is that many good footy people have walked away from football which has left those still involved with a greater workload. This in turn leads to quicker burn out.
The requirements being bestowed on clubs is unprecedented and realistically requires a full time CEO. Yet with the cost for clubs to be involved is increasing in some places by well over 20% so they cant afford to employee full time staff.
The increases in costs aren't caused by player payment or football department either , it is costs they don't control individually but do collectively.
The reality is clubs are going to have to face the grim reality that if they don't increase their work force at the same rate as the workload increases they won't have a club. Ultimately like in this case coaches and players dont get the support they require and will bail.
I just don't see that there is the people out there to gain volunteers to fill the workload void , whilst with increased costs in some areas I can't see how they can afford it.
The only option is to reduce the costs and workload .

Many mutual supporters have mentioned to me that aside from Kyabram , the MFL was a fair way in front of the GVFL in 2017 .
Some may have been sniffing crack but they suggested the PDFL granny at Katandra was the best game they seen all year.

You're becoming a bit like Caroline Wilson roar. You will need to start naming your sources to make your comments relevant. Too often you state that you have been talking to 'these people' or 'those people' and they think this.

Whats with the 'local' bit? I totally disagree that you need a 'local'....you need someone from outside to ensure there is a different view about football, no closed culture. Yes there are times that a local can be a good mentor but look at Buckley,Voss,Bartlett and co. An outsider wont play favorites and players start with a clean slate. Scotts appointment at United hopefully has been made around coaching acumen...not being a 'local'. No disrespect to him but what are his credentials with coaching?
Has the bears appointed a coach?

Get used to unproven coaches being appointed in the leagues in the region.. Until you start paying coaches quality coin, you will get part time coaches...Lets face it, as a coach you have multiple hats on, recruiting officer, developing coach, social worker, the list goes on..as the coaches salary is not part of the cap, if you want a quality coach pay the coin!! If you are happy that the players get more than the coach annually then expect getting a unproven coach. Time to look at what a coach is worth, puts in many more hours then a player, ontop of their job and their families. Just filling the role as there is no one else is around is only going to get you mediocre results.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back