Goulburn Valley FL 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
N
I believe it is in their long term best interest for Echuca, Rochy and Moama to join the Bendigo League. I also think the BFL would prefer those 3 than Castlemaine, Maryborough and Kyneton.

I can see the BFL turning into a stronger comp than the GVFL over the next 5-10 years. Why not get in early and become a powerhouse? Those 3 clubs I mentioned all use the Pioneers as their development club as opposed to the rest of the GVFL as well.
Good points ...rumour gathering momentum that a school based competition push is gathering momentum. Not sure where this would leave the TAC

I believe it is in their long term best interest for Echuca, Rochy and Moama to join the Bendigo League. I also think the BFL would prefer those 3 than Castlemaine, Maryborough and Kyneton.

I can see the BFL turning into a stronger comp than the GVFL over the next 5-10 years. Why not get in early and become a powerhouse? Those 3 clubs I mentioned all use the Pioneers as their development club as opposed to the rest of the GVFL as well.
Or merge GVFL and BFL and call it North Country Football League(Do not think it will happen)? Done it in the Soccer here and been sucessfull

All good here ringo, just twists my nipples how arrogant some ppl are. The whole thing stems from me telling him how their lot were "openly " giving the likes of Seymour and others a backhander for recruiting out of town. ...i even had a 2005 copy of the weekender where the Rochy club notes scribe does exactly that !!!....if thats not whinging i don't know what is......the Rochy players were no better at the time.....and don't get me started on there supporters !!........anyway. ....im gunna drop the subject like 3rd period french !!!!
I think Dirty Dave Williams always set up an adversarial type attitude when he coached Rochy (1992 - 2007) which was based around Rochy as the smaller town punching above their weight against cashed up rivals. In many instances this was true, but Rochy were lucky to have some talented locals (McCartys, Millers, Rasmussens, Aitkens, Brennans et al) who liked the culture of the club, with the attraction of seeing family who stuck around for 'unders', often travelling back from Melbourne.

I wasn't on this forum in 2007-2008 ish when Seymour were dominating, but anyone looking to read some shitfights should read that stuff. The Euroa v Seymour ones are my favourite!

There have been years when Rochy have thrown the cash around. '92-'93 they added Jamie Duursma, Dean Duursma, Brad Sparks, Craig Lazzaro, Matt Febey (briefly) and Dean Hardin, to the likes of Adam Edwards, David Puttamorsi and Mick Gravina. None of the blokes had been lunching in Mick Pettifer's cafe prior to arriving. Result = 1 premiership and 1 runners up ( beaten by a kick after the siren by Shepp)

In 2012-2013 they recruited Ryan Smith, James Brain, Daniel McLinden, Luke Gestier and Brady Green. While Grant Weekes went to Rochy High School, he did bring Daniel Anderson and Bradyn Dorrington, who certainly did not. Result = flogged by United in a Semi!

Clubs buy recruits when they can afford it. It keeps the bloody league interesting. How many big name recruits are coming to the league now? = very few. This ridiculous salary cap and points system thwarts free enterprise.

Last edited:
I think Dirty Dave Williams always set up an adversarial type attitude when he coached Rochy (1992 - 2007) which was based around Rochy as the smaller town punching above their weight against cashed up rivals. In many instances this was true, but Rochy were lucky to have some talented locals (McCartys, Millers, Rasmussens, Aitkens, Brennans et al) who liked the culture of the club, with the attraction of seeing family who stuck around for 'unders', often travelling back from Melbourne.

I wasn't on this forum in 2007-2008 ish when Seymour were dominating, but anyone looking to read some shitfights should read that stuff. The Euroa v Seymour ones are my favourite!

There have been years when Rochy have thrown the cash around. '92-'93 they added Jamie Duursma, Dean Duursma, Brad Sparks, Craig Lazzaro, Matt Febey (briefly) and Dean Hardin, to the likes of Adam Edwards, David Puttamorsi and Mick Gravina. None of the blokes had been lunching in Mick Pettifer's cafe prior to arriving. Result = 1 premiership and 1 runners up ( beaten by a kick after the siren by Shepp)

In 2013 they recruited Ryan Smith, James Brain, Daniel McLinden, Luke Gestier and Brady Green. While Grant Weekes went to Rochy High School, he did bring Daniel Anderson and Bradyn Dorrington, who certainly did not. Result = flogged by United in a Semi!

Clubs buy recruits when they can afford it. It keeps the bloody league interesting. How many big name recruits are coming to the league now? = very few. This ridiculous salary cap and points system thwarts free enterprise.
Post/reply of the year imo, very well explained silver. Btw, we went down to the "Rochy" b-team yesterday (aka Eaglehawk ) at King's Park. ...apologies, just abit cheeky of me but they do possess son of a gun Ben McPhee and Crowbar Williams 2 lads Dillon and Sean, even though the latter 2 didn't play......thank goodness !!. We did have 10 of our best 21 not playing and only a qtr and a half from Jason Cole.

N

Good points ...rumour gathering momentum that a school based competition push is gathering momentum. Not sure where this would leave the TAC

Nah mate AFLX will become the non contact preferred school and schoolyard option surely :p

N

I'd prefer u19's at AFL clubs to accompany the reserves comp.
Another 850 positions on AFL lists with half of those being for under 19's, I think would be a real win.
It would also increase interest in AFL as people get to see the next up and comers on a national AFL attached side.
It would also allow players to be plucked directly from country/city leagues and inadvertently create great interest in country / city leagues .

Post/reply of the year imo, very well explained silver. Btw, we went down to the "Rochy" b-team yesterday (aka Eaglehawk ) at King's Park. ...apologies, just abit cheeky of me but they do possess son of a gun Ben McPhee and Crowbar Williams 2 lads Dillon and Sean, even though the latter 2 didn't play......thank goodness !!. We did have 10 of our best 21 not playing and only a qtr and a half from Jason Cole.
I think they also have Trent Bacon. Locky boy who played at Rochy for 2-3 years including the 2016 GF loss to Kyabram. Would have played CHB I imagine. Ben McPhee is actually Tank's nephew. Tanks son Harrison is about 17 and played a couple of senior games at Rochy last year. He has a younger one in the thirds.

I think they also have Trent Bacon. Locky boy who played at Rochy for 2-3 years including the 2016 GF loss to Kyabram. Would have played CHB I imagine. Ben McPhee is actually Tank's nephew. Tanks son Harrison is about 17 and played a couple of senior games at Rochy last year. He has a younger one in the thirds.
Oh ok silver, thanks for clearing that up, just naturally assumed he was Tank's son, looks a hell of alot like him !!!.

To be played by private schools in India and China! I like Roars suggestion of an AFL 19s comp returning. Be a great incentive for talented youngsters to aspire to.

Pretty sure gut feel believes this is more than a “gut feel” ;)

That is great news....and there will be NO AFL reserves competition in 2019

Can confirm that Ringo, ran into Stephen Hocking over the weekend. He said i can confirm that the suggestion of a national reserves competition next year is totally unfounded and will not be happening. Im not sure about 2020 :think:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can confirm that Ringo, ran into Stephen Hocking over the weekend. He said i can confirm that the suggestion of a national reserves competition next year is totally unfounded and will not be happening. Im not sure about 2020 :think:
Jeepers Troy....you have a direct line to the second in charge!!! Your input and internal information gathering skills will be a great asset to us Big Footy posters!

Jeepers Troy....you have a direct line to the second in charge!!! Your input and internal information gathering skills will be a great asset to us Big Footy posters!

No, the real facts with be a disaster Ringo. They will destroy nearly everything that is on here.

Go away Troy.

Heard today over at Ky that over Gvl clubs would not want to hear and that is the great man Paulo !! Is feeling great and intends to play most games maybe bootze can shed more light on this

Heard today over at Ky that over Gvl clubs would not want to hear and that is the great man Paulo !! Is feeling great and intends to play most games maybe bootze can shed more light on this

Wouldn’t put it past him. I saw the great man down at Melbourne country week limping around like he had been shot in the leg at tea. He came back 3 hours later with 120* off 80 balls. Plenty left in him.

Isnt this happening already to a degree ringo with dow, obrien and daniels all gaining scholarships to go geelong grammar and impacting thier tac games. A number of north-west melbourne suburb elite talent such as raynor got scholarships at penleigh in essendon.

I put this out here a while ago for a new league to include swan hill kerang koondrook cohuna echuca moama rochy kyabram and maybe locky and leitchy as they all rely on their juniors and going to the bfl will ruin the clubs as the juniors wont align with their seniors.

Its a bit hard to blame the lack of recruits on the points and salary as this will allow the metro clubs to go full slather on paying players where it will be harder to entice players to the country even more as they have more money to splurge on players

N

Isnt this happening already to a degree ringo with dow, obrien and daniels all gaining scholarships to go geelong grammar and impacting thier tac games. A number of north-west melbourne suburb elite talent such as raynor got scholarships at penleigh in essendon.

I put this out here a while ago for a new league to include swan hill kerang koondrook cohuna echuca moama rochy kyabram and maybe locky and leitchy as they all rely on their juniors and going to the bfl will ruin the clubs as the juniors wont align with their seniors.

Its a bit hard to blame the lack of recruits on the points and salary as this will allow the metro clubs to go full slather on paying players where it will be harder to entice players to the country even more as they have more money to splurge on players

Dow, O'Brien, Daniels and Brander all went to Geelong Grammar. Brander played 2 games for the Pioneers last season whilst the others played a handful. In all reality Geelong Grammar deserve the kudos for their development....not the TAC team. This leads to your point that it is almost a school system anyway. Perhaps we need to return to the days when we had the Assumption College's of the world developing players. I understand that this is an expensive option but with the implementation of further football scholarships being awarded to talented young players from the Vline cup it could be a better option. The costs associated with being a regional Tac player are huge as it is.

Last edited:
I put this out here a while ago for a new league to include swan hill kerang koondrook cohuna echuca moama rochy kyabram and maybe locky and leitchy as they all rely on their juniors and going to the bfl will ruin the clubs as the juniors wont align with their senior

Love to see Echuca and Moama in a league together as the rivalry would be awesome. Moama is a big enough town now to service a side in a GV type league. Echuca, Moama, Rochester, Kyabram would dominate such a league. Maybe Nathalia, Deniliquin and Tatura could be additions. Echuca United could be another. However, I think the disruption to other leagues would be too great.

Hopefully Seymour have close to their full team on the park so can get a decent gage on them and also so we don't have to read numerous posts from lion71 making excuses for them getting walloped.;)
Thats fair enough johnno....and believe me ill b the 1st ( likely the 2nd behind the coach ) to lambast us if we're ever ordinary and have zero excuses. At least a dozen senior players missing is a reasonable excuse, ive been informed we should see something closer to a senior team this Sunday, Jake Anderson being one of a few lining up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back