Goulburn Valley FL 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

I believe the coins were from a raffle or something
They were the glory days of the league I reckon 2003-2013 was when the league was at the peak of its powers. Meka, Saad, The Swans big names, Echuca's big names. The Seymour and United teams were tough talented and uncompromising. Craig kelly leaving the Echuca ground in a helicopter. Tank McPhee and Elliot Bowen running amok on the Rochy forward line with Ben Duscher. And amongst it all Brian Durbridge won a Morrison.

Bendigo Pioneers again is disarray with the coach pulling the pin
I know they have made an appointment but it’s time they appointed somebody with elite football experience and with a profile. The guy that left had some experience at GWS but prior to that had coached Point Cook U/18s. The kids deserve the best.

Breeza is an interim appointment I believe

Why not go after a Brent Guerra, coached at the Hawks and Freo in development roles, Dean Soliman is another, who was a caretaker AFL coach, there's a plethora of guys available through the job cuts at AFL clubs, time to get a big fish

Why not go after a Brent Guerra, coached at the Hawks and Freo in development roles, Dean Soliman is another, who was a caretaker AFL coach, there's a plethora of guys available through the job cuts at AFL clubs, time to get a big fish

Both good suggestions..depends on the remuneration package..is it attractive enough.

I would think that there would be an abundance of applications given the job cuts at AFL level

Both good suggestions..depends on the remuneration package..is it attractive enough.

I would think that there would be an abundance of applications given the job cuts at AFL level
The issue is that you now need to coach 4 teams and deal with 4 lots of parents. On top of that do 4 game reviews, vision , one on ones with players and the list goes on. Plenty of the coaches have walked from these jobs. All for around 80k. Tough gig

The issue is that you now need to coach 4 teams and deal with 4 lots of parents. On top of that do 4 game reviews, vision , one on ones with players and the list goes on. Plenty of the coaches have walked from these jobs. All for around 80k. Tough gig
I think the pay wipes some good candidates out of the race. It's a big drop for guys that have come down from AFL industry money.

Coaching in the NAB league is a right pain in the backside now. You are a jack of all trades dealing with parents, many teams and doing a hell of a lot of running around putting out spotfires. Not the attractive proposition for up and coming coaches that these roles previously were. You don't spend too much quality time in developing players any more. Even harder at the regional clubs where players are spread far and wide.

Can anyone post the article from the Bendigo Addy about the coaches departure?

No disrespect but the Pioneers are a continued basket case.

Coaching in the NAB league is a right pain in the backside now. You are a jack of all trades dealing with parents, many teams and doing a hell of a lot of running around putting out spotfires. Not the attractive proposition for up and coming coaches that these roles previously were. You don't spend too much quality time in developing players any more. Even harder at the regional clubs where players are spread far and wide.

Can anyone post the article from the Bendigo Addy about the coaches departure?

No disrespect but the Pioneers are a continued basket case.

IMO the area is too big to manage. Mildura should be aligned to SA and since the loss of any AFLVIC pesence their it is being seriously considered. Despite what many thought, Ray Byrne was a terrific manager and the Pioneers were generlly competitive under his reign, even playing off in a GF. He never interferred in football matters, supported his coaches and didn't play politics for his own benefit.The turnover of coaches is another issue with now 5 coaches in a seven year period. Stability in clubs is paramount and with the revolving door of coaches it doesn't allow for that. Generally, the concept of the NAB is flawed for country clubs without a boarding school set up.Having 17 year olds move to Bendigo, sometimes living by themselves doesn't help. There are many issues that the Pioneers need to sort out to become an elite organisation.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO the area is too big to manage. Mildura should be aligned to SA and since the loss of any AFLVIC pesence their it is being seriously considered. Despite what many thought, Ray Byrne was a terrific manager and the Pioneers were generlly competitive under his reign, even playing off in a GF. He never interferred in football matters, supported his coaches and didn't play politics for his own benefit.The turnover of coaches is another issue with now 5 coaches in a seven year period. Stability in clubs is paramount and with the revolving door of coaches it doesn't allow for that. Generally, the concept of the NAB is flawed for country clubs without a boarding school set up.Having 17 year olds move to Bendigo, sometimes living by themselves doesn't help. There are many issues that the Pioneers need to sort out to become an elite organisation.
Scrap the whole concept and move back to a club based U/19 concept in my opinion. At least you are aligned with a club and playing for something. I watched a few games last year and it was very frustrating to watch. Selfish football where it’s all about getting the most stats to get noticed.

The concept for country clubs is outdated ringo, with many players from country areas receiving scholarships for metro, Geelong and Ballarat schools. The pios can't keep up, gone are the days of the late 90s and early 2000s where the the Mildura and broken Hill boys were happy to go to Bendigo and board and attend bendigo senior, they are left a long way behind and I'm not sure AFL hq care, about the country tav cup teams

I'm sure most guys who have lost their jobs would be keen it's better than working on construction sites

Chatting to a Ky committee person this morning.

Apparently KY and Rochy are discussing when their Easter clash will happen and where. It’s won’t be 6 pm Good Friday at Rochy as the draw says.

Why would the league put out a draw when it’s not complete ?

Chatting to a Ky committee person this morning.

Apparently KY and Rochy are discussing when their Easter clash will happen and where. It’s won’t be 6 pm Good Friday at Rochy as the draw says.

Why would the league put out a draw when it’s not complete ?

Believe Tat and Euroa are having the same conversation

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Not sure why we need to play night games whilst this thing called the sun is in the sky. Night games at country footy don’t cut it but that’s just me.
Over the past decade alot of Clubs have made big investments in lighting & I guess if your lighting has reached match standard it makes sense to have one Home game underlights.

Over the past decade alot of Clubs have made big investments in lighting & I guess if your lighting has reached match standard it makes sense to have one Home game underlights.

Totally agree
But why schedule at night game at Rochy when they don’t have good lights.

Totally agree
Aren't the games for around the Easter weekend??, so it will still be during daylight savings. It shouldn't get dark till around 8ish.. at the earliest. Just schedule the games to end around that time and you won't really need to worry about lights.
Worst case scenario, go old school and get all the cars to put their lights on 🤣🤣

Last edited:
Totally agree
Common sense will prevail but Rochy want to hold onto that one as a Home Game if possible. New Coach and highly touted recruits vs the League heavyweights after a year off will pull plenty through the Gates.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back