Goulburn Valley FL 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Not to many coaches would come close to trevs playing coaching record, the best playing coach i have played against, brother of stephen and des who played in the gv

I had the pleasure of working with Trev for 2 years. He always had the Mildura regions best interests at heart. Didn’t have much support up there.

Not to many coaches would come close to trevs playing coaching record, the best playing coach i have played against, brother of stephen and des who played in the gv
I don’t recall Des and Steve ever playing in the GV? After the AFL, they played VFA and in the MPFNL, before heading back with Trev in the North Central and Central Murray.

I had the pleasure of working with Trev for 2 years. He always had the Mildura regions best interests at heart. Didn’t have much support up there.

Interesting comment and not saying it’s incorrect but my two nephews who are going ok have a far greater relationship with the SANFL than anything to do with the AFL

It’s not the only sport that gets more love from SA.

Interesting comment and not saying it’s incorrect but my two nephews who are going ok have a far greater relationship with the SANFL than anything to do with the AFL

It’s not the only sport that gets more love from SA.
Mate I agree. Don’t be surprised if Mildura aligns itself with the SANFL before too long

Without being told to take the under 16 talk to its own forum.

I see on Rochys Facebook Page they have entered an Under 16 team in the SDJFL not the GVL.

Any other clubs not putting a side in ?

Pretty quiet on the signing or re-signing side of things in the GV at the moment . At this stage it's looking like Ky just win it again. Hard to find challengers with teams seemingly losing more than they are gaining.

Its harder and harder for clubs to compete with the ammos and metro clubs to get marquee signing now

Pretty quiet on the signing or re-signing side of things in the GV at the moment . At this stage it's looking like Ky just win it again. Hard to find challengers with teams seemingly losing more than they are gaining.

Its harder and harder for clubs to compete with the ammos and metro clubs to get marquee signing now
Totally agree Trent. The 'amateurs' have it all over country leagues. Higher points and greater access to 'employment opportunities' (Nothing to see here) and then you have EDFL and EFL clubs with more points and significantly higher salary caps. Was reading your interaction with the VAFA general discussion thread where you raised these points. Told to 'jog on' ... Hmmm...

From what I’ve been told Euroa trained in Melbourne on the weekend with all new recruits training, including Hellier. Haven’t lost any and a very good recruit is not being announced. Will have to wait and see if correct but if so could be huge

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

From what I’ve been told Euroa trained in Melbourne on the weekend with all new recruits training, including Hellier. Haven’t lost any and a very good recruit is not being announced. Will have to wait and see if correct but if so could be huge

Emerging as the main challenger at the moment! Love to know how country leagues can recruit quality recruits when they have lower salary caps compared to city cousins!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still think for the right recruit it’s not always about money. Big grounds, big crowds is a massive advantage over the city leagues. Just got to find players with a link to the club. But I do agree the money is way out of control if the rumours on the Yarrawonga vfl players is true. Will be a few Audits handed out this year I would think

I think the ideal situation would be for the GVL to be the representation of the regions best players , regardless of whether they are schooling or working else where . This is not a crack at the GVL in any way, but there are more and more of the regions best players either playing locally in other leagues or in other leagues outside the local region.
Just a thought but perhaps the incentive or opportunity for clubs to get their own and the best surrounding locals needs to be increased.
Eg.
Ex players outside cap
Sister club arrangement with Clubs in local
Leagues .

From what I’ve been told Euroa trained in Melbourne on the weekend with all new recruits training

Pretty sure Mooroopna were due to have a run/get together at our ground at Highgate in Craigieburn, had intended to go for a look as it followed a trial game featuring the Boomerangs Indigenous squad but cricket called.

Assuming at your level a lot of clubs meet their non local based recruits/players regularly over the course of summer and in season.

FWIW for those who have used us at Kilmore FC a bit in recent years, our new lights are good to go so don't be scared to reach out again as it will actually be safe and visually attractive now to train ha ha!!!

I still think for the right recruit it’s not always about money. Big grounds, big crowds is a massive advantage over the city leagues. Just got to find players with a link to the club. But I do agree the money is way out of control if the rumours on the Yarrawonga vfl players is true. Will be a few Audits handed out this year I would think

Think the Yarrawonga deal might sneak around the salary cap as it is work related. However its still the deal of the century!

100% agree
Others losing more than gained
Ky stay about the same

I think the ideal situation would be for the GVL to be the representation of the regions best players , regardless of whether they are schooling or working else where . This is not a crack at the GVL in any way, but there are more and more of the regions best players either playing locally in other leagues or in other leagues outside the local region.
Just a thought but perhaps the incentive or opportunity for clubs to get their own and the best surrounding locals needs to be increased.
Eg.
Ex players outside cap
Sister club arrangement with Clubs in local
Leagues .
Roar can you expand your thoughts on the sister club arrangement please.

Roar can you expand your thoughts on the sister club arrangement please.
I think and have done for a while that there is some merit is considering each region in vic having a solitary major league . Aflgm would naturally be GVL . With that each of the clubs in that league would have an alignment with clubs in surrounding leagues where players could move more freely and given the current point structure without incurring high point values . That is both to and from .
For example : Rochester ( who appears to do it well already ) may have lockington , Colbo , Stanhope and rushworth .
Any player out of those clubs Rochy would get for nothing in a points / salary cap sense , however any player recruited outside of those clubs they pay massively for .
And vice versus those clubs could get players out of rochy for no cost points/salary cap wise .
I think it would assist in a return to the mid 80’s where clubs would work closer together to have players come into the the gv to try their luck but also older players going out to nearby clubs in smaller comps to educate /get coaching experience .

I think and have done for a while that there is some merit is considering each region in vic having a solitary major league . Aflgm would naturally be GVL . With that each of the clubs in that league would have an alignment with clubs in surrounding leagues where players could move more freely and given the current point structure without incurring high point values . That is both to and from .
For example : Rochester ( who appears to do it well already ) may have lockington , Colbo , Stanhope and rushworth .
Any player out of those clubs Rochy would get for nothing in a points / salary cap sense , however any player recruited outside of those clubs they pay massively for .
And vice versus those clubs could get players out of rochy for no cost points/salary cap wise .
I think it would assist in a return to the mid 80’s where clubs would work closer together to have players come into the the gv to try their luck but also older players going out to nearby clubs in smaller comps to educate /get coaching experience .

Nice , l was thinking along the lines of GV going to 1 senior team ,U19's and u16's , the senior team being a squad of 40 ( submitted prior to rnd 1)where if they are not picked in the 21 they go back to there home club , the closer the local club the less points people are worth.

Totally agree Trent. The 'amateurs' have it all over country leagues. Higher points and greater access to 'employment opportunities' (Nothing to see here) and then you have EDFL and EFL clubs with more points and significantly higher salary caps. Was reading your interaction with the VAFA general discussion thread where you raised these points. Told to 'jog on' ... Hmmm...
Some of the VAFA teams can arrange for quite lucrative employment opportunities for potential recruits which is great for them, what I roll my eyes at is acting as if arranging a high paying job for someone that is unqualified (unless they play for your club of course), is any more wholesome than simply handing out an envelope of cash.

Reading the EDFL & EFL boards is often amusing given the bleating surrounding the success of clubs like Vermont, Keilor & Aberfeldie and how boring it makes the league, more conservative salary & point caps would limit the ability to simply go & sign a Nick Meese or Brett Eddy to an already strong side and encourage clubs to prioritise junior development rather than continuing an arms race for Ex-AFL/State League talent.

I enjoyed the article by ando last week, with Kerr off Carltons list, trying to imply that he had to go through three interview processes to get the job, im sure at the end of the day he didnt have the qualifications but still got the job. It was a real stitch up to make it sound like these guys are put through the ringer and get the job on merits not their footy ability, as ando has sons playing in the ammos, so it was a pretty poor attempt at journalism.

This is going to keep occuring regarding top clubs topping up with recruits, unless the salary cap is slashed to 100,000 for all clubs, so the dispersion of talent is spread better throughout the state, and metro leagues play on the lowest point it should be 30 points.

At present we have elitism creeping into all formats of the game, through squads from early ages and private schools poaching the best players with scholarships. This means a lot of kids give up on footy at under 14s because they didnt make x squad. Then if you play up to under 18s in metro clubs theres a limited pathway to the seniors, because they think they need ex afl players to take up half their side to be competitive, so they languish in the twos instead of being developed into a ones player.

Some of the VAFA teams can arrange for quite lucrative employment opportunities for potential recruits which is great for them, what I roll my eyes at is acting as if arranging a high paying job for someone that is unqualified (unless they play for your club of course), is any more wholesome than simply handing out an envelope of cash.

Reading the EDFL & EFL boards is often amusing given the bleating surrounding the success of clubs like Vermont, Keilor & Aberfeldie and how boring it makes the league, more conservative salary & point caps would limit the ability to simply go & sign a Nick Meese or Brett Eddy to an already strong side and encourage clubs to prioritise junior development rather than continuing an arms race for Ex-AFL/State League talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back