Goulburn Valley FL 2020

Silver Tongue

Premiership Player
Jul 25, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Interesting to watch the Allstars v Vic game tonight. First time since 1995 that I’ve seen 18 quality players in the navy Blue!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
The boys are serious hey Bootz. Great to see the concept back. I think the AFL have got it right. Pre-season works. MCG next year probably on the same date.

ps. Agree regarding the Navy Blue!😆

Last edited:

Silver Tongue

Premiership Player
Jul 25, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
To be honest. My info came from a seconds player at 11 pm at the Shamrock Pub. ..........
I think the Sandhurst practice match has been ongoing for a couple of years? Not sure about Eaglehawk, but there were at least four ex-Rochy blokes there until this year. New Rochy coach and new president in 2020 so Rochy might play Flaherty's Kangaroo Flat next year.

Oct 5, 2004
Moving Around
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Avoca FNC, Ouyen Kangas FNC
No disrespect, but Rochester are also probably wanting to play better sides. Good preparation playing against Eaglehawk and Sandhurst. Flat has been average for many years and probably not a great practice match opponent considering their performance over recent years.

holygrail44

Draftee
Sep 4, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Mooroopna play wang rovers next Sunday (15th) and then Benalla Saturday (21st) both games in Benalla

I believe united played Yarrawonga last week... anyone know how that game went?

Bootz36

Club Legend
Sep 5, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Believe Sam Martyn may be turning out for the saints in the latter half of the year when he returns from OS. Will be very handy if they are heading towards finals.

Do you believe they are a genuine contender for finals Ringo? Maybe 4, 5 or 6 contender??? However unsure of their improvements so happy to be corrected by anyone. I feel apart from Ky, Euroa and Echuca in top 3- other spots up for grabs.

Silver Tongue

Premiership Player
Jul 25, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Do you believe they are a genuine contender for finals Ringo? Maybe 4, 5 or 6 contender??? However unsure of their improvements so happy to be corrected by anyone. I feel apart from Ky, Euroa and Echuca in top 3- other spots up for grabs.

You have been on the red again Bootz old mate!

I agree with your top three but for what it is worth, I think only six sides can play finals.
Kyabram
Echuca
Euroa
Rochester
Seymour
Benalla.
-------------
Shepparton
Tatura
Swans
United
Mooroopna
Mansfield

Kyabram will play someone in a Grand Final. Who knows what might happen. They ought to win!

Joe Mama

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2001
Everywhere you want to be
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Mernda, Murch/Toolamba, Man City
I was wondering about your opinions on the new 4ths (Under 16's) competition that the GVFL are running this season.

I was surprised that Rochester aren't fielding a side in the new 4ths competition (was it lack of numbers?, or are you going to stick with the Shepp Juniors this year), and I knew that Benalla & Mansfield weren't interested in joining (they are already in the Wangaratta Juniors & doing OK).

Having seen the bigger crowds that the Murray & Picola League gets compared to some games in the GVFL (especially at Deakin, the crowds for the Bears & United were ordinary when they don't play local teams), having more junior divisions in Netball & Football adds to a better atmosphere all round (too bad you can't fit another netball court at Deakin, because having two games running at once), and having a closer link to the fourths kids and the seniors is always a good thing to see.

My nephew is playing for the Swans this year, and we both are looking forward to playing new teams such as Seymour & Euroa, and continuing playing against the likes of United & the Bears (even though I'm involved at Murch, I'll try to watch as many games I can).

Doc Larkins

All Australian
Nov 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
You have been on the red again Bootz old mate!

I agree with your top three but for what it is worth, I think only six sides can play finals.
Kyabram
Echuca
Euroa
Rochester
Seymour
Benalla.
-------------
Shepparton
Tatura
Swans
United
Mooroopna
Mansfield

Kyabram will play someone in a Grand Final. Who knows what might happen. They ought to win!
I've got a question mark on Seymour playing finals believe their could be a spot up for grabs there.

johnno#7

All Australian
Feb 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I was wondering about your opinions on the new 4ths (Under 16's) competition that the GVFL are running this season.

I was surprised that Rochester aren't fielding a side in the new 4ths competition (was it lack of numbers?, or are you going to stick with the Shepp Juniors this year), and I knew that Benalla & Mansfield weren't interested in joining (they are already in the Wangaratta Juniors & doing OK).

lsck of numbers. Wil have a few good year to come but after that not a chance rochy can compete at under 16s level in the gv! It takes a ridiculous amount of recruiting in under 18s from minor league towns like Lockington, colbo and Elmore to stay competitive.
At under 16s level lot harder to get kid’s in

Back