Goulburn Valley FL 2020

nesko_25

Club Legend
Feb 5, 2006
In a cave
AFL Club
Essendon
Should the gv look at moving tbe gf to grand final eve, and cash in on the public holiday
The HDFL are looking at this move and there appears to be a lot of angst, although I'm unsure why. It makes sense with the long weekend, allows plenty of time for celebrations or commiserations and they only real downside is the move from the traditional time slot - surely it will draw bigger crowds though.

ringo1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 30, 2006
Williamstown/Echuca
AFL Club
Collingwood
The HDFL are looking at this move and there appears to be a lot of angst, although I'm unsure why. It makes sense with the long weekend, allows plenty of time for celebrations or commiserations and they only real downside is the move from the traditional time slot - surely it will draw bigger crowds though.

Haha by the sounds of it we don’t even need a GF...looks like the flag is Kyabram bound again !

jon dough

Team Captain
May 28, 2007
windsor
AFL Club
Essendon
Haha by the sounds of it we don’t even need a GF...looks like the flag is Kyabram bound again !

Don’t carry on ringo one or two blokes have said something along those lines. I think there is genuine optimism that its going to be a reasonably open season. Ky will be around the same maybe drop off a touch, Euroa and Benalla will be big improvers, rochy look to have recruited well. Echuca will be there again and will no doubt have some recruits up there sleeve. One or two don’t speak for everyone, try the glass half full approach for once, you might actually enjoy it.

Mar 16, 2008
Uppercomebackwest
AFL Club
Richmond
Mate I agree. Don’t be surprised if Mildura aligns itself with the SANFL before too long
And would be silly not to do so. My eldest played at Waikarie last year when placed at the local hospital and relished being in a Premiership side at a very professionally run club. The six team Riverland competition was very strong with good players coming up from Adelaide (for a lot less than many pretenders from Melbourne charge) and better players going to the SANFL. Cheap entry, great facilities and well supported by the SANFL, including a weekly online publication that showcased all of the leagues over the season and had comprehensive weekly results. The AFL might have it's headquarters in Victoria (and its figurative head elsewhere) but the heart of the game is beating elsewhere.

Trent the flight Steward

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 30, 2006
Cessnock
AFL Club
Geelong
Thats right Jon, if they were that good they wouldnt be playing for ky would they? Games arent won on paper although how many out ofvthe last 100 games have ky lost?

Don’t carry on ringo one or two blokes have said something along those lines. I think there is genuine optimism that its going to be a reasonably open season. Ky will be around the same maybe drop off a touch, Euroa and Benalla will be big improvers, rochy look to have recruited well. Echuca will be there again and will no doubt have some recruits up there sleeve. One or two don’t speak for everyone, try the glass half full approach for once, you might actually enjoy it.

Grasscutter99

Senior List
Nov 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
I heard that the draw for 2020 may be out - can anyone post it up here if they see it?

Adjustments.JPG

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

ringo1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 30, 2006
Williamstown/Echuca
AFL Club
Collingwood
And would be silly not to do so. My eldest played at Waikarie last year when placed at the local hospital and relished being in a Premiership side at a very professionally run club. The six team Riverland competition was very strong with good players coming up from Adelaide (for a lot less than many pretenders from Melbourne charge) and better players going to the SANFL. Cheap entry, great facilities and well supported by the SANFL, including a weekly online publication that showcased all of the leagues over the season and had comprehensive weekly results. The AFL might have it's headquarters in Victoria (and its figurative head elsewhere) but the heart of the game is beating elsewhere.

My glass half full attitude to this is that the talented kids get the chance to play U/18's for the SANFL teams in a professional club culture. Adelaide closer than Melbourne and the SANFL will show them more love!

Silver Tongue

Premiership Player
Jul 25, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Tend to agree Jon. Nothing is certain at this point in a season and Euroa and Benalla will be big improvers. Sheldon and Reeves are significant outs though not sure who the bombers have recruited.

I honestly believe Kyabram will lose a Home and Away game this year! Is it three years without a loss in the regular season? I expect a post on here when it happens congratulating me on my foresight and wisdom!

Mar 13, 2007
THE TAN
AFL Club
Richmond
Tend to agree Jon. Nothing is certain at this point in a season and Euroa and Benalla will be big improvers. Sheldon and Reeves are significant outs though not sure who the bombers have recruited.

I honestly believe Kyabram will lose a Home and Away game this year! Is it three years without a loss in the regular season? I expect a post on here when it happens congratulating me on my foresight and wisdom!
And if it doesn’t happen ?

Mar 16, 2008
Uppercomebackwest
AFL Club
Richmond
My glass half full attitude to this is that the talented kids get the chance to play U/18's for the SANFL teams in a professional club culture. Adelaide closer than Melbourne and the SANFL will show them more love!
Correct and to further press the point, the odd Victorian has reignited their career by heading over to the SANFL and WAFL. As an aside, I've said it before that I would love to see the draft age raised to 21 for a multitude of reasons- chance to get a degree, trade qualification, learn to live outside of managed bubble, let late developers catch up being a few, it might even allow some of those students who think the dream will be their reality to cool their jets and consider other pathways. Thoroughbred racing throws all of its money at 2 and 3 year old sprinters and then wonders why 22 of the 24 2019 Melbourne Cup competitors were bred overseas, is this what the system does with talented kids any different?

ringo1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 30, 2006
Williamstown/Echuca
AFL Club
Collingwood
Then the majority in the league remain perennially as bored as shite!
Crowe, Morgan, williams, developing juniors
Correct and to further press the point, the odd Victorian has reignited their career by heading over to the SANFL and WAFL. As an aside, I've said it before that I would love to see the draft age raised to 21 for a multitude of reasons- chance to get a degree, trade qualification, learn to live outside of managed bubble, let late developers catch up being a few, it might even allow some of those students who think the dream will be their reality to cool their jets and consider other pathways. Thoroughbred racing throws all of its money at 2 and 3 year old sprinters and then wonders why 22 of the 24 2019 Melbourne Cup competitors were bred overseas, is this what the system does with talented kids any different?
Great points mate! the current system is in some ways very speculative when grading 18 yr olds. The worst thing about it IMO is that every man and his dog claims credit for the kid being drafted and the pressure they are under to perform. I like the 21 yr old idea Woody as it takes 3 full pre seasons for young players to adjust to the rigours of big time football. Having other interest in life can only be a good thing.

Normo3

Club Legend
Jan 13, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Crowe, Morgan, williams, developing juniors

Great points mate! the current system is in some ways very speculative when grading 18 yr olds. The worst thing about it IMO is that every man and his dog claims credit for the kid being drafted and the pressure they are under to perform. I like the 21 yr old idea Woody as it takes 3 full pre seasons for young players to adjust to the rigours of big time football. Having other interest in life can only be a good thing.
And I’m sure they will land a couple b4 the season starts, talking to a couple of handy players..

They need support in the ruck. If their VFL players play more VFL as expected then there will be some holes to fill. I'd love to see it but not so sure they will be top 3.
Who have they really lost? Allan was invisible in all the big games. They’ve picked up some quality young players, and with what’s coming through the juniors, I don’t think they’ll go backwards. I can’t see any of the clubs below them going past them.

Mar 13, 2007
THE TAN
AFL Club
Richmond
The finals catering rights issue raised in the media this week and figures quoted are bazzar if true .
IIRC , it was quoted that the Shepp Swans pay 10% of gate takings for prelim catering rights , whilst united and the bears pay 7.5% of gate takings for grand final catering rights .
I’d suspect the money taken for catering would be significantly higher than the gate takings ( 150 %) whilst the profit from those takings upward of 50% of gross takings .
Based on those figures the actually profit taking from catering would in the vacinity of 75% of gate takings .
It seems an extremely big discrepancy and free hit for a minority of clubs .

TorpedoPunt1

Debutant
Sep 27, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Talk of challengers for 2020. Unfortunately I think tatura won’t be one of those under Kirby. Love the big fella but apparently only 25 at training the last two weeks with thirds included. A lot of players leaving and only two recruits. I’ve been involved in the club for 15+ years, but as a coach Kirbs is a step back from Daniels. No non playing assistant coaches announced, lost Lucas white, neil cooper, Mark Rijs and Maddie Rijs from the sidelines as well as footy manager Hill who all had great relationships with Daniels and No reserves coaches announced. You can’t build a small club like ours overnight in the current points/salary set up, especially with the worst juniors/1 pointers in the league coming through. and with the injuries we had in 2019 it’s disappointing that the president has let a personal issue get in the way of our clubs progression. The club has tried to spin a lot of things to the public but in reality myself and a lot of tatura people are very disappointed. We are now in December and it’s clear things aren’t as rosy as they made out it would be with Daniels moving on. It’s disappointing Kirbs has been put in the middle of it all.

Mar 13, 2007
THE TAN
AFL Club
Richmond
Talk of challengers for 2020. Unfortunately I think tatura won’t be one of those under Kirby. Love the big fella but apparently only 25 at training the last two weeks with thirds included. A lot of players leaving and only two recruits. I’ve been involved in the club for 15+ years, but as a coach Kirbs is a step back from Daniels. No non playing assistant coaches announced, lost Lucas white, neil cooper, Mark Rijs and Maddie Rijs from the sidelines as well as footy manager Hill who all had great relationships with Daniels and No reserves coaches announced. You can’t build a small club like ours overnight in the current points/salary set up, especially with the worst juniors/1 pointers in the league coming through. and with the injuries we had in 2019 it’s disappointing that the president has let a personal issue get in the way of our clubs progression. The club has tried to spin a lot of things to the public but in reality myself and a lot of tatura people are very disappointed. We are now in December and it’s clear things aren’t as rosy as they made out it would be with Daniels moving on. It’s disappointing Kirbs has been put in the middle of it all.
I heard issues arose after senior committee became aware of player payments being made that they hadn’t previously known of and that hadn't been getting disclosed to AFLVIC under the salary cap policy . I was told that the payments were organised by the previous coach hence the fallout ??
Not sure of the validity .

Back