Goulburn Valley FL 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Has to happen and right across the state. Was needed before this current situation but this will force clubs hands
Why does it have to happen , because less people are playing the game ? Maybe more needs to be done to address why people aren’t playing or why there is an decrease of people playing beyond junior age .
I’ll give It a little start , reduce the amount of teams large centres are able to have in one junior age group , get rid of NAB and reduce junior talent programs .
Kids thinking their footy career is over before they get the opportunity to fall in love with the game is ridiculous.
Keep merging clubs as a band aid fix and the amount of clubs left and people playing the game will only continue to decrease .

You talking to the west of Echuca ringo1 ? Be surprised if there was such going on within the GM region .
Mate I can see it happening all over the state. Do Cobram and Barooga for instance have the capability to get through this? Have Swans and Mooroopna the ability to survive. Deni and Deni Rovers? These are only opinions and concerns.

Mate I can see it happening all over the state. Do Cobram and Barooga for instance have the capability to get through this? Have Swans and Mooroopna the ability to survive. Deni and Deni Rovers? These are only opinions and concerns.
What aspect of the corona virus lay off has you thinking clubs will face increased hardship ?
Financial , playing interest ?
I can see clubs needing to re-think their operations and maybe need to become more local community focused , which I think will be a great thing and achieve what I assume the salary cap and point system tried to achieve .

What's so different west of echuca roar as opposed to the east? Aside from major regional places all populations are declining especially in the footy age bracket, all across country Vic. How will picola clubs go putting three teams on the park each Saturday, by just locals? I would think that's the point ringo is raising, as there is the possibility of lack of funds to recruit a couple of carloads to come from outside the region, hence neighbouring clubs merging.

You talking to the west of Echuca ringo1 ? Be surprised if there was such going on within the GM region .

Why does it have to happen , because less people are playing the game ? Maybe more needs to be done to address why people aren’t playing or why there is an decrease of people playing beyond junior age .
I’ll give It a little start , reduce the amount of teams large centres are able to have in one junior age group , get rid of NAB and reduce junior talent programs .
Kids thinking their footy career is over before they get the opportunity to fall in love with the game is ridiculous.
Keep merging clubs as a band aid fix and the amount of clubs left and people playing the game will only continue to decrease .

Because footy clubs were already going to the wall financially and player numbers wise during what were pretty good economic and lifestyle times. Things will get harder in everyday life for a vast amount of people...footy clubs are made up of these people and this will be the reason that country footy gets harder not easier.

Nothing will be the same after this

What's so different west of echuca roar as opposed to the east? Aside from major regional places all populations are declining especially in the footy age bracket, all across country Vic. How will picola clubs go putting three teams on the park each Saturday, by just locals? I would think that's the point ringo is raising, as there is the possibility of lack of funds to recruit a couple of carloads to come from outside the region, hence neighbouring clubs merging.
West of Echuca , because I have heard of clubs having difficulties and mergers being discussed in leagues to the west of Echuca .
Picola league has 5 football side per club and I’d roughly guess they’d be as many blokes playing in nearby leagues as there is that have come from nearby leagues . Whilst from out of the area as in travelling from Melbourne or similar distances and having had no prior affiliation with the club I’d guess the number would be single digit , over the whole league , but don’t know definitively .

Last edited:
Because footy clubs were already going to the wall financially and player numbers wise during what were pretty good economic and lifestyle times. Things will get harder in everyday life for a vast amount of people...footy clubs are made up of these people and this will be the reason that country footy gets harder not easier.

But were there less players ? It appears including in the GV over the last couple of years numbers were better than they had been the previous 4-5 years ? Clubs weren’t forfeiting 3rds games and it didn’t seem as many 35/40 plus year olds were getting dragged off the streets to fill sides .
I am rather optimist that a weakening national economy might see people choose to engage with their local club rather than choosing to undertake weekend trips , o/s holidays and the like they may have been doing in more recent times .
I can’t see international travel being opened any time this calender year and I’m hopeful the community engagement we saw in rural Australia in the 80’s and 90’s might return , including football .

But were there less players ? It appears including in the GV over the last couple of years numbers were better than they had been the previous 4-5 years ? Clubs weren’t forfeiting 3rds games and it didn’t seem as many 35/40 plus year olds were getting dragged off the streets to fill sides .
I am rather optimist that a weakening national economy might see people choose to engage with their local club rather than choosing to undertake weekend trips , o/s holidays and the like they may have been doing in more recent times .
I can’t see international travel being opened any time this calender year and I’m hopeful the community engagement we saw in rural Australia in the 80’s and 90’s might return , including football .
I am not sure why but I remember being dragged out of 16's to play 2nd halves for Rochy 18's early '80's. I recall Shepp United giving us their extra players on one occasion. Barry Connelly at his best as obviously United '18's needed a game and %. I also recall mid-80's Rochy two's having loads of old ex-players filling in to assure we had a side. The senior sides were getting flogged regularly. By mid-80's hope was in the 18's. Miller, O'Neil, Martin, Hooper all played in Rochy's senior 1990 GF v Euroa. I agree with you communities and clubs can rally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In this area I only know of 1 Club (& 1 just got themselves out) across 4 League's that I know are in financial strife their may be a couple more but I think the majority of Club's are stable financially and some are really well off.

In this area I only know of 1 Club (& 1 just got themselves out) across 4 League's that I know are in financial strife their may be a couple more but I think the majority of Club's are stable financially and some are really well off.

I reckon there would be many more than that Doc. If you read the costs a club like Echuca have then I shudder to think how others are fairing.As Ash Byrne said in the Riv; "There are always continuing cots whether you're playing or not".

I reckon there would be many more than that Doc. If you read the costs a club like Echuca have then I shudder to think how others are fairing.As Ash Byrne said in the Riv; "There are always continuing cots whether you're playing or not".
Interesting because another President indicated their costs at the moment we're minimal. At a guess still paying an Electricity Bill, Club's would have had some Memberships printed up which don't cost much, some may pay some fees at their ground what else?

Interesting because another President indicated their costs at the moment we're minimal. At a guess still paying an Electricity Bill, Club's would have had some Memberships printed up which don't cost much, some may pay some fees at their ground what else?
Who is your club Doc?

Clubs have significant council rates to pay, sponsorship dollars have been proportioned to some extent. I'm sure some Coaches would've been paid for the work they have already done. Sign on fees...now there is a can of worms! Not sure of the status of League affiliation fees???Throw in insurance and its quiet a concern.

Clubs have significant council rates to pay, sponsorship dollars have been proportioned to some extent. I'm sure some Coaches would've been paid for the work they have already done. Sign on fees...now there is a can of worms! Not sure of the status of League affiliation fees???Throw in insurance and its quiet a concern.
I'm tipping a discount will be done on Council rates and I'd be interested to find out what they pay. I couldn't imagine Tat paying 10k plus to use Tat Park a year but may be wrong and United and the Bears only have Deakin for half a year and would split that bill between them. I'd say alot of Coaches would have been paid Zero to this stage and I'd be mighty surprised if they had already been paid 50% to this point. Sign On's are an easy one to deal with if they jump get it back. I also think Sign On's have really dried up. Insurance Payments are made in installments over the year so not action no pay. League/AFL Vic we're wiped this Season. Personally I think Club's will get to the starting gates again with minimal damage but the Fundraising game may become more challenging but those who work smartly will get it done. As Roar said I too think after a long period being isolated people will get out and about more often when the wheel turns and local Club's will benefit from that as well.

AFL Insurance is on hold , many councils fees are on hold ( campaspe apparently not yet to confirm ) , people asking for and clubs paying sign ons never ends well.

Last edited:
I'm tipping a discount will be done on Council rates and I'd be interested to find out what they pay. I couldn't imagine Tat paying 10k plus to use Tat Park a year but may be wrong and United and the Bears only have Deakin for half a year and would split that bill between them. I'd say alot of Coaches would have been paid Zero to this stage and I'd be mighty surprised if they had already been paid 50% to this point. Sign On's are an easy one to deal with if they jump get it back. I also think Sign On's have really dried up. Insurance Payments are made in installments over the year so not action no pay. League/AFL Vic we're wiped this Season. Personally I think Club's will get to the starting gates again with minimal damage but the Fundraising game may become more challenging but those who work smartly will get it done. As Roar said I too think after a long period being isolated people will get out and about more often when the wheel turns and local Club's will benefit from that as well.

Some valid points..perhaps you need to have a chat to the president of Sale who said his club is about to fold. I'm sure Ash Byrne didn't make it up and if we think he is the only club president that needs to balance books then we are not acknowledging the issues. If we think that we are going to be in a better position after this then we are kidding ourselves.No one mentioned coaches being paid 50% of their wage but all of them would of at least been paid one installment. Currently the AFL is aiming for a mid August return, a 6 week period before cricket resumes on most football grounds. Minimal damage is not going to happen. Clubs will fold! When people are allowed to return from isolation I would think many will be looking at other things to do rather than attending local football matches.

Some valid points..perhaps you need to have a chat to the president of Sale who said his club is about to fold. I'm sure Ash Byrne didn't make it up and if we think he is the only club president that needs to balance books then we are not acknowledging the issues. If we think that we are going to be in a better position after this then we are kidding ourselves.No one mentioned coaches being paid 50% of their wage but all of them would of at least been paid one installment. Currently the AFL is aiming for a mid August return, a 6 week period before cricket resumes on most football grounds. Minimal damage is not going to happen. Clubs will fold! When people are allowed to return from isolation I would think many will be looking at other things to do rather than attending local football matches.
Costs that clubs have incurred and are yet to pay will be the financial burden . Most leagues pulled the pin well before the start of the season so the loss on perishable goods would be zero . Non perishable goods , remain an asset . If clubs have already paid coaches or paid signs on , they don’t have to find that money . The most glowing costs that clubs may have incurred and not yet paid for are things like electricity / gas or wages ( secretary / trainers etc ). Sponsors pulling the pin will mean clubs have to restructure their future which may mean pulling out of agreements they had previously made and I’d assume the AFL will support them if it involves player contracts and providing clubs are upfront .

Costs that clubs have incurred and are yet to pay will be the financial burden . Most leagues pulled the pin well before the start of the season so the loss on perishable goods would be zero . Non perishable goods , remain an asset . If clubs have already paid coaches or paid signs on , they don’t have to find that money . The most glowing costs that clubs may have incurred and not yet paid for are things like electricity / gas or wages ( secretary / trainers etc ). Sponsors pulling the pin will mean clubs have to restructure their future which may mean pulling out of agreements they had previously made and I’d assume the AFL will support them if it involves player contracts and providing clubs are upfront .

I hope you are running a club then roar if it’s gunna be so easy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back