Goulburn Valley FL 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Can someone give me some clarity regarding clearances? Surely they need to be closed now otherwise clubs that do have money will be 'shaking the trees' of smaller, less financial clubs.

For those thinking that clubs won’t feel the financial pinch head over to the Bendigo Advertiser website and read the article with the Mitiamo president give his opinions
Then drop by the Ballarat Courier and read the article where the League Pres says he is confident all Club's will remain financially strong. Like everything mixed opinion but Footy will return and survive I'm sure.

I hope you are running a club then roar if it’s gunna be so easy
I didn’t suggest it was going to be easy , however suggesting country football is going to be decimated by suspension of the season , for an unknown time, is premature .
Given the suspension of many fixed costs I struggle to see how any club could have already incurred debt to this point of the season that in isolation would cause a club to fold.
Going forward they may have to alter their expenditure , but most including the Mitiamo president within the Bendigo Addy , state mental health of their community as their biggest concern with football/ netball not being played .
Financial is insignificant when considering the role clubs will play in rebuilding communities .

With a pause on the season and clearances closed I guess they can. All clubs will still be operating under the points system (And salary cap) so there will still be limitations on what clubs can do at this point.
I'd say they will be re opened at some point some Club's wouldn't have submitted all the new players they have secured. Also the breaking of contracts and making guys stay put can't stand up they may not have even considered that yet. The other aspect is that even after June 30th players can apply for a clearance for special circumstances such as relocating etc.

I'd say they will be re opened at some point some Club's wouldn't have submitted all the new players they have secured. Also the breaking of contracts and making guys stay put can't stand up they may not have even considered that yet. The other aspect is that even after June 30th players can apply for a clearance for special circumstances such as relocating etc.
The special circumstances after June 30 generally and relocation generally relates to armed services .

What if footy hasn't started by then roar, will they push it back?
Don’t know , I would assume everything remains up in the air until a commencement date is known . If it gets to the point that some comps wish to have a season and some don’t I’d think there would be some merit in time framed permit system to provide some protection to those that don’t have a comp.

Hearing that the NAB league is finished and will not continue in its present form again. Believe there will be 2 Country and Metro squads that will play 5-6 games a year for recruiting purposes.

Hearing that the NAB league is finished and will not continue in its present form again. Believe there will be 2 Country and Metro squads that will play 5-6 games a year for recruiting purposes.
Can only see one issue with this ringo1 that being that the 5-6 games a year, will still see country kids away from their home clubs . In saying that if the nab was to be booted the interest in community footy would only be boosted.
FWIW , I have previously( before covi19) been told that the V-Line Cup is unlikely to continue after the current sponsorship arrangement expires .

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can only see one issue with this ringo1 that being that the 5-6 games a year, will still see country kids away from their home clubs . In saying that if the nab was to be booted the interest in community footy would only be boosted.
FWIW , I have previously( before covi19) been told that the V-Line Cup is unlikely to continue after the current sponsorship arrangement expires .

I think only having kids away from their clubs 5-6 times is much better than 18. Perhaps we may see a zoning structure put back into place as well?

What’s the point of NAB league anyway?. Even VFL footy is a waste of time. It’s not what it use to be. I think of the 64 people drafted last year 54 of them came from the private school system. Time to go back to Seniors, reserves and under 19’s for each AFL club.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

What’s the point of NAB league anyway?. Even VFL footy is a waste of time. It’s not what it use to be. I think of the 64 people drafted last year 54 of them came from the private school system. Time to go back to Seniors, reserves and under 19’s for each AFL club.

Please..VFL a waste of time?? Kane Lambert, Michael gibbons, Adam Saad, Jack Frost etc would disagree with that. There are currently 49 AFL listed players that have been recruited from the VFL. The VFL should be the primary recruiting ground for players aged 19-24

Please..VFL a waste of time?? Kane Lambert, Michael gibbons, Adam Saad, Jack Frost etc would disagree with that. There are currently 49 AFL listed players that have been recruited from the VFL. The VFL should be the primary recruiting ground for players aged 19-24

But it’s not now. Cold hard facts. All those players and VFL teams and stuff all recruits come out of it now. It’s a private school system. Once upon a time VFL was a pathway. Unfortunately the numbers don’t stack up. AFL clubs reserves would be more relevant as pathways to senior AFL footy, along with under 19’s connected to clubs. Country clubs would be better for this pathway. Keeps them relevant.

But it’s not now. Cold hard facts. All those players and VFL teams and stuff all recruits come out of it now. It’s a private school system. Once upon a time VFL was a pathway. Unfortunately the numbers don’t stack up. AFL clubs reserves would be more relevant as pathways to senior AFL footy, along with under 19’s connected to clubs. Country clubs would be better for this pathway. Keeps them relevant.

You are dead set kidding? Please tell me the number of recruits from stand alone clubs?? Go on have a crack at that and see what you come up with. 49 current listed AFL players are out of the VFL more than stack up! . Please tell me how this is not a pathway?
Gibbons
Lambert
Hibberd
Cavarra
Saad
Schultz
Bewley
Hind
Stewart
Mihocheck
Hartley
Mitchell Hibberd
And on it goes

You are dead set kidding? Please tell me the number of recruits from stand alone clubs?? Go on have a crack at that and see what you come up with. 49 current listed AFL players are out of the VFL more than stack up! . Please tell me how this is not a pathway?
Gibbons
Lambert
Hibberd
Cavarra
Saad
Schultz
Bewley
Hind
Stewart
Mihocheck
Hartley
Mitchell Hibberd
And on it goes

It’s getting less and less of a recruiting ground. How many in the last 2 years drafted out of the VFL? The quality of the footy is high, but the recruiters interest in it is getting less and less. How many in the last two years?

IMO almost every current pathway has a massive unnecessary negative affect on country football and as such all being scrapped would be beneficial for country football .
Academies - taking kids and families ( volunteers) away from clubs .
Schoolboys (Vline) - moving to end of season to suit NAB recruiting has meant these players are training heaviest during community clubs finals series and taking them away from their home clubs .
Nab (old tac ) - Preventing kids from playing with their home clubs when they have the bye and restricting their involvement at their home club is rubbish as is the continual request for more access to these kids .
VFL - The requirement for them to play in suburban footy when not picked is rubbish and taking country kids away from country clubs .

In saying that some subtle changes could see it all change rather quickly .
VFL / NAB - Once a permit is lodged the player can’t be transferred , meaning they stay at the club they were identified from . Clubs must list squads of 25, 6 days prior to their matches and only the players listed in the squad can train with the club for that week. Those not selected train and play with their home club.
VLine - Return to pre season comp , must be competed before April 1 .
Academies - League based and once a month , so that trainings etc are when it least affects clubs and is spread out to lesser the intensity during season .

I am a fan of AFL reserves , under 19’s/20’s but in fairness the state league clubs have been a reasonable pathway of recent times . As they should be given everything has been structured to suit them including at the expense of country footy.

Last edited:
It’s getting less and less of a recruiting ground. How many in the last 2 years drafted out of the VFL? The quality of the footy is high, but the recruiters interest in it is getting less and less. How many in the last two years?

There have been 21 players drafted from the VFL in the past two seasons. hardly a figure to be sneezed at. The recruiters interest is actually increasing as the players are ready to play straight up and don't need another two or three years development. People who think the NAB Cup is an elite program are way off the mark. The VFL is far more professional.

IMO almost every current pathway has a massive unnecessary negative affect on country football and as such all being scrapped would be beneficial for country football .
Academies - taking kids and families ( volunteers) away from clubs .
Schoolboys (Vline) - moving to end of season to suit NAB recruiting has meant these players are training heaviest during community clubs finals series and taking them away from their home clubs .
Nab (old tac ) - Preventing kids from playing with their home clubs when they have the bye and restricting their involvement at their home club is rubbish as is the continual request for more access to these kids .
VFL - The requirement for them to play in suburban footy when not picked is rubbish and taking country kids away from country clubs .

In saying that some subtle changes could see it all change rather quickly .
VFL / NAB - Once a permit is lodged the player can’t be transferred , meaning they stay at the club they were identified from . Clubs must list squads of 25, 6 days prior to their matches and only the players listed in the squad can train with the club for that week. Those not selected train and play with their home club.
VLine - Return to pre season comp , must be competed before April 1 .
Academies - League based and once a month , so that trainings etc are when it least affects clubs and is spread out to lesser the intensity during season .

I am a fan of AFL reserves , under 19’s/20’s but in fairness the state league clubs have been a reasonable pathway of recent times . As they should be given everything has been structured to suit them including at the expense of country footy.

Roar, all good points but at Willy players are allowed to play country football. The issue with academies is that once kids have their dreams closed off at 13 we are losing them from the game.

Roar, all good points but at Willy players are allowed to play country football. The issue with academies is that once kids have their dreams closed off at 13 we are losing them from the game.
as well as ,
additional requirement on parents preventing them from taking on roles within clubs , contradiction of coaching techniques seeing kids not listening to club coaches and general feeing of elevated self worth , academy Training and club training scheduling seeing kids not training with their club.

as well as ,
additional requirement on parents preventing them from taking on roles within clubs , contradiction of coaching techniques seeing kids not listening to club coaches and general feeing of elevated self worth , academy Training and club training scheduling seeing kids not training with their club.

Two comments from an old guy.

1. I have an intense dislike of how country football (clubs) has been treated (devalued) since the development of the National AFL competition with consequent changes to the VFL and the TAC cup. Not being able to watch a highly talented 18 year old kid have a season in say Echuca seniors has really taken something away from country football.

2. Listening to the consistent advice of medical people I really respect, the COVERT 19 situation is not going to show any real improvement until a vaccination is developed which they say is complex (still no cure for common cold) and will realistically take 12 to 18 months. On this basis we are going to be lucky to have a football season in 2021 so discussions about options in later 2020 to me seem unrealistic. Perhaps this is the time to seriously look at changes which will be better for the long term future of country competitions and clubs. For example I would like to seethe Bendigo and Goulburn Valley leagues merge with all the powerful clubs in one division and the weaker clubs in another. Others may disagree but lets put all options on the table for consideration.

Two comments from an old guy.

1. I have an intense dislike of how country football (clubs) has been treated (devalued) since the development of the National AFL competition with consequent changes to the VFL and the TAC cup. Not being able to watch a highly talented 18 year old kid have a season in say Echuca seniors has really taken something away from country football.

2. Listening to the consistent advice of medical people I really respect, the COVERT 19 situation is not going to show any real improvement until a vaccination is developed which they say is complex (still no cure for common cold) and will realistically take 12 to 18 months. On this basis we are going to be lucky to have a football season in 2021 so discussions about options in later 2020 to me seem unrealistic. Perhaps this is the time to seriously look at changes which will be better for the long term future of country competitions and clubs. For example I would like to seethe Bendigo and Goulburn Valley leagues merge with all the powerful clubs in one division and the weaker clubs in another. Others may disagree but lets put all options on the table for consideration.
On point 2 :
Travel continues to b a major obstacle , which sees lowering crowd numbers with clubs travelling longdistances , why would you want to do anything which will lower crowd numbers and long populations interest ?
How do you intend to rack clubs on whether they are stronger or not, last seasons senior success , past 5 years , last 10 years , u18’s success , a grade netball or under 17’s netball ?????
What makes you think the GVL and BFL are of the same standard ?
Football has evolved for it’s entire existence by clubs making decisions on what they think is best for their club.
Attempts by others to alter what they have felt is ‘ best for football’ has had a terrible ending .
IMO where clubs do or don’t play should be the decision of the clubs and no-one else .

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back