Goulburn Valley FL 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes I do and every league in country Victoria owes it to country businesses who rely on footy to ensure they play IMO.
Give it a spell Roar. You are arguing from your position as a significant stakeholder in country footy..

Some people are simply uninformed, misinformed, or simply scared about coronavirus.

Many on here by the looks are informed and disagree with you.

Give it a spell Roar. You are arguing from your position as a significant stakeholder in country footy..

Some people are simply uninformed, misinformed, or simply scared about coronavirus.

Many on here by the looks are informed and disagree with you.

I answered a question

Do you think there will be Country Footy played this year Roar?

Whether it's unpopular or not, I'm going to lean towards no, or called off soon after.
Every other country with the virus is coming out of their flu season.
We're coming into ours.
Wait til every man and their dog gets the sniffles

Anyone that underestimates this virus is putting themselves in a precarious position. The news out of the US and Italy overnight is very concerning. Whilst I want nothing more than a normal football season, I cannot see how it can go on now.I think we might have bigger fish to fry if we are not careful.

Unfortunately I think we might as well focus on 2021.
More importantly hopefully everyone gets through this ok. Perhaps we don’t necessarily need to focus just on footy here? This could be a good forum to support each other over the coming months ...just a thought .

So anyone game to predict ladder for 2021 then?
We are going to have to have a fantasy competition just for something to post about!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So anyone game to predict ladder for 2021 then?
We are going to have to have a fantasy competition just for something to post about!

I think the AFL will get rolling again and find a Premier if they are prepared to play into November possibly December. Country Footy League's may have to trod on Cricket/Tennis Club's feet for one Season and play while they do. With limited venues available it may just need to be a Senior Football and (Most venues have 2 Netball Courts) A and B Grade Netball Competition. It may include triple headers Saturday and Sunday's. Gates and Catering to be shared. It depends if the mentality is let's salvage what we can or we don't want to do it because the whole Club can't play.

I think the AFL will get rolling again and find a Premier if they are prepared to play into November possibly December. Country Footy League's may have to trod on Cricket/Tennis Club's feet for one Season and play while they do. With limited venues available it may just need to be a Senior Football and (Most venues have 2 Netball Courts) A and B Grade Netball Competition. It may include triple headers Saturday and Sunday's. Gates and Catering to be shared. It depends if the mentality is let's salvage what we can or we don't want to do it because the whole Club can't play.
We can only hope Doc! I agree with ringo though that we regulars on this forum need to be supportive of one another. Lots of regulars 40-50+ yrs old based upon posts. Without knowing individual circumstances I think we need to try and keep this forum active. It's going to be a looong winter without sport.

As David Hookes apparently used to say: 'Throw it into the for what It's worth basket.'

Last edited:
Watching Footy Classifieds and I was so ignorant to the impact of stopping the game for the AFL as a business. Locally head of our hub already gone- 14 so far lost their job in Shep, but when AFL returns nationally most likely some of the clubs with either have gone broke or have to merge! Big wake up to me I’ll tell you!

Watching Footy Classifieds and I was so ignorant to the impact of stopping the game for the AFL as a business. Locally head of our hub already gone- 14 so far lost their job in Shep, but when AFL returns nationally most likely some of the clubs with either have gone broke or have to merge! Big wake up to me I’ll tell you!

I didn’t see the FC boots but what you’ve said is a little concerning . I think this period won’t necessarily see clubs turn off but change their attention to strategic planning and hopefully more use of the available online services which would need significant AFL resources . For some during other battles within their life the football / netball club provides them some much needed structure and consistency .
People’s mental well being and available resources , which the AFL have provided at times , really worries me .

Maybe players may actually play for the love of the game and not money🤷🏻‍♂️

If no clubs cant afford to pay players across the state, will there still be footy

I didn’t see the FC boots but what you’ve said is a little concerning . I think this period won’t necessarily see clubs turn off but change their attention to strategic planning and hopefully more use of the available online services which would need significant AFL resources . For some during other battles within their life the football / netball club provides them some much needed structure and consistency .
People’s mental well being and available resources , which the AFL have provided at times , really worries me .

For those of you serving/served on committees, will this year affect country clubs much financially?

With no ongoing staffing costs, player payments, equipment etc what are the expenses?

I’d say plenty of clubs have income outside footy that will continue (specifically agriculture), I just don’t see it being the financial disaster some are predicting. I mean if you were already running at a loss and in the negative, you are cactus anyway.

Roota, I’m thinking clubs like Lalbert will come out of this alright. Thoughts?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For those of you serving/served on committees, will this year affect country clubs much financially?

With no ongoing staffing costs, player payments, equipment etc what are the expenses?

I’d say plenty of clubs have income outside footy that will continue (specifically agriculture), I just don’t see it being the financial disaster some are predicting. I mean if you were already running at a loss and in the negative, you are cactus anyway.

Maybe clubs in the big leagues ( alf) will start looking at less coaching staff to save money and let players play on instincts and enjoy the game while you can

Think most clubs will survive this , won't be the big player payments of the past , probably the biggest expense will be council fees particularly major leauge clubs but hopefully councils are lenient at this time.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think the issue is clubs that are already in debt have no way to climb out of the hole and will only get worse. It would have been a much worse situation if games went ahead without spectators resulting in the same amount of money flowing out but none coming in through gate takings, bar or canteen. I also assume that there may be players getting sign on bonuses too.

Well if bugger all clubs can afford to pay player come season 2021, it may be better long term, as clubs will still have dinner canteen profits that will allow them to build up, the poor old suburban footballer who shops himself around for a price won't know what's hit him next year, as I can't see clubs getting into bidding wars, it may only be the coach getting paid, AFL clubs are slashing staff left right and centre and I can't see how they can suddenly afford them back next year, ringo you are pretty close to the action with this, what's the sentiments of support staff are they confident their jobs will be required in 3 months time or will it take 20 years to reach where the coach support staff was at?

I think the issue is clubs that are already in debt have no way to climb out of the hole and will only get worse. It would have been a much worse situation if games went ahead without spectators resulting in the same amount of money flowing out but none coming in through gate takings, bar or canteen. I also assume that there may be players getting sign on bonuses too.

Well if bugger all clubs can afford to pay player come season 2021, it may be better long term, as clubs will still have dinner canteen profits that will allow them to build up, the poor old suburban footballer who shops himself around for a price won't know what's hit him next year, as I can't see clubs getting into bidding wars, it may only be the coach getting paid, AFL clubs are slashing staff left right and centre and I can't see how they can suddenly afford them back next year, ringo you are pretty close to the action with this, what's the sentiments of support staff are they confident their jobs will be required in 3 months time or will it take 20 years to reach where the coach support staff was at?
It's uneducated shadow jumping atm let some water go under the bridge and we will see how this year ends up first. Plenty of Club's have money in the Bank as well.

It's uneducated shadow jumping atm let some water go under the bridge and we will see how this year ends up first. Plenty of Club's have money in the Bank as well.

It’s unprecedented but not sure it’s uneducated Doc. Plenty of blokes in here with a wealth of footy and club knowledge that enables them to have opinions on what may pan out

It’s unprecedented but not sure it’s uneducated Doc. Plenty of blokes in here with a wealth of footy and club knowledge that enables them to have opinions on what may pan out
Uneducated to forecast how Club's finances may sit after this has settled. Yes some Club's may be in trouble other Club's may have a few key backers that throw in more to make sure they stay solid and others will have plenty to get through.

Uneducated to forecast how Club's finances may sit after this has settled. Yes some Club's may be in trouble other Club's may have a few key backers that throw in more to make sure they stay solid and others will have plenty to get through.

We will agree to disagree on the term uneducated Doc

I think it is really difficult to predict how clubs , or country football as whole, will fair into the future until it’s known when things can somewhat return and what can be achieved out of this season .
In the smaller communities where there are less clubs within the community , football/ netball clubs are going to play an even greater part in the recovery.

Last edited:
Believe there could be a directive from AFLVic that all contracts for 2020 will not be enforced. Not sure how it will play out but would certainly help the cause of many clubs.
Coaches might get paid part of their contract but there is no way country footballers will get paid when the season is cancelled. The current professional AFL model tells us that. (Ate we at 50% or 80% pay cuts?) The only players to be paid in country footy will be the ones who demanded 'sign on' fees. Can't see players giving those back to clubs.

One big question ...do playing contracts for 2020 now stand for 2021? Sure there would be some clubs targeting players to change clubs for 2021 if the season is officially called off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back