Goulburn Valley FL 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

If forums won premierships this Goulburn Valley thread would win in a canter. Well done guys as it is good to read about any country football topic in the present circumstances. There is very little to nothing on all but 1 or 2 other forums and even then nothing to remotely match yours.

Give yourselfs a pat on the back.

Good on you mate. The thread has plenty of passionate football people on it and sometimes there is plenty of head butting but rarely does it fail for entertainment and football news. Quite often the lead stories for some of our papers are sourced from here.

Golden rivers revamped to include Boga, Nyah, balranald, tyntynder or north central or I imagine the Loddon valley will head north

Yep ringo it would be probably too much pressure on echuca, although it would create great rivalry if you include rochy in the mix, yep I think Swan Hill is too far, I think they would go Mildura way or wrst. With possible mergers there could be some new design jumpers come out,vwe could see more giants or suns gurnseys

I
Imagine the rivalry between Echuca and/or Moama/Echuca United Trent! I would love to see one of those two sides in the GVFL as Echuca/Moama must be a large enough centre to have two sides competing.

There was talk (I believe) of Benalla making noises about a return to the Ovens and Murray league so the landscape is likely to change after this crisis is over.

It has to be driven by clubs themselves though because a change in league will never work unless the community a club represents is supportive. It's why I cannot see the likes of Echuca and Rochester rejoining the Bendigo League as it currently exists. That said, some of the ideas tossed around on here include the Bendigo League splitting with some going South while the likes of Strathfieldsaye, Eaglehawk, Golden Square at al. joining a rebadged Northern league including GV sides. That prospect excites me!

Imagine the rivalry between Echuca and/or Moama/Echuca United Trent! I would love to see one of those two sides in the GVFL as Echuca/Moama must be a large enough centre to have two sides competing.

There was talk (I believe) of Benalla making noises about a return to the Ovens and Murray league so the landscape is likely to change after this crisis is over.

It has to be driven by clubs themselves though because a change in league will never work unless the community a club represents is supportive. It's why I cannot see the likes of Echuca and Rochester rejoining the Bendigo League as it currently exists. That said, some of the ideas tossed around on here include the Bendigo League splitting with some going South while the likes of Strathfieldsaye, Eaglehawk, Golden Square at al. joining a rebadged Northern league including GV sides. That prospect excites me!

Two sides from Echuca/Moama would be interesting but after all the years and efforts to get into the GV, I'd be surprised if Benalla were seeking a quiet exit into the O&M.

I'm not sold on a combined GV/Bendigo league as travel for some clubs would be a bit gruesome (Euroa-Bendigo 1.5 hours each way and Benalla-Bendigo a lazy 2 hours each way) and one of the BFNL's better clubs in Gisborne would be left in limbo as travel and the way roads run suits them being in Bendigo far more than Ballarat. AFL Victoria wouldn't be keen given they have set up all these lovely little hubs all over Victoria.

I do agree though that AFLV need to seriously look at re-aligning the regions in country Victoria and they should be doing it in the short term. They should have done it last summer after all the talk last winter about the problems with footy in the bush.

Last edited:

This is off the current topic but a worthy one to discuss boys.

Watching the 1994 North v Geelong Preliminary final on Fox sports. Craig Sholl is running around on the half back line. My question is who is the best credentialled VFL/AFL player to arrive in the GVFL? Sholl with a North B&F in 1991 (Yes, I had to check) 235 AFL games and being a two time premiership player must surely put him close to the best we have had. Thoughts? Who has come with better credentials? And Sholl won at least one Morrison off the top of my head.

Last edited:

Watching the 1994 North v Geelong Preliminary final on Fox sports. Craig Sholl is running around on the half back line. My question is who is the best credentialled VFL/AFL player to arrive in the GVFL? Sholl with a North B&F in 1991 (Yes, I had to check) 235 AFL games and being a two time premiership player must surely put him close to the best we have had. Thoughts? Who has come with better credentials? And Sholl won at least one Morrison off the top of my head.

Well I can raise you a Brownlow Medallist Tongue. Shane Woewodin ? played for the Swans back in 2011 with Russell Robertson, Adem Yze and Nathan Brown..the Melbourne one! Even better than that they had Brian Durbridge.

Well I can raise you a Brownlow Medallist Tongue. Shane Woewodin ? played for the Swans back in 2011 with Russell Robertson, Adem Yze and Nathan Brown..the Melbourne one! Even better than that they had Brian Durbridge.
Fair point regarding Woewodin ringo. But how many games did he play?

I think Robertson, Woewodin both named in Melbourne's top 20 in the Herald-sun, and Sholl in North's team. Interesting conversation though.

[/QUOTE]
Fair point regarding Woewodin ringo. But how many games did he play?

I think Robertson, Woewodin both named in Melbourne's top 20 in the Herald-sun, and Sholl in North's team. Interesting conversation though.
One who tends to fly under the radar in discussions is Justin Pickering who IIRC represented or was at least in the Vic squad the year or two prior to playing GVL .
As far as legends of the GVL go Code , Cooper , Chris Smith , Gorksi and Dirty would be hard to go past .

Mick Gayfer Craig Kelly Trent Hotton David Menesh David Robertson Shane Loveles .

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mick Gayfer Craig Kelly Trent Hotton David Menesh David Robertson Shane Loveles .

So based on the notion of the 'best credentialed' AFL player to come to the GVFL by my count it is Woewodin (if we count him which I don't.) Sholl, Robertson, Yze and Kelly.

Still reckon Sholl has the others covered with a B&F, 235 games and 2 premierships.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Xavier Tanner north premiership player coached Shepp , Ken Fletcher Tat coach Tom Hafey 3 Shepp flags .
So based on the notion of the 'best credentialed' AFL player to come to the GVFL by my count it is Woewodin (if we count him which I don't.) Sholl, Robertson, Yze and Kelly.

Still reckon Sholl has the others covered with a B&F, 235 games and 2 premierships.

A few folk rank Sholl as one of the best players to play GV so he fits your criteria easily Silver.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Good on you mate. The thread has plenty of passionate football people on it and sometimes there is plenty of head butting but rarely does it fail for entertainment and football news. Quite often the lead stories for some of our papers are sourced from here.

Good sentiments Ringo as someone who has often been at a different viewpoint to me but often provides interesting and insightful comments. I haven’t looked at the posts on Bigfooty for a week and thoroughly enjoyed catching up. Much more interesting reading these posts than the paper with the same topic both on the front and back pages dominating.

Good sentiments Ringo as someone who has often been at a different viewpoint to me but often provides interesting and insightful comments. I haven’t looked at the posts on Bigfooty for a week and thoroughly enjoyed catching up. Much more interesting reading these posts than the paper with the same topic both on the front and back pages dominating.

What boots you not enjoying reading ;
1. David King trying to come up and sell ways the AFL will start next week , which are all in breach of federal governments crowd gathering laws ?
2. Kane Cornes trying to get personal and wanting people to believe that current players actually want to communicate with him ?
Or
3. Mathew Lloyd trying to criticise current AFL players for being selfish ( the same Mathew Lloyd that retired because he refused to play any role other than the one he felt he was entitled ). ?

What boots you not enjoying reading ;
1. David King trying to come up and sell ways the AFL will start next week , which are all in breach of federal governments crowd gathering laws ?
2. Kane Cornes trying to get personal and wanting people to believe that current players actually want to communicate with him ?
Or
3. Mathew Lloyd trying to criticise current AFL players for being selfish ( the same Mathew Lloyd that retired because he refused to play any role other than the one he felt he was entitled ). ?

🤣🤣🤣🤣That’s exactly what I’m talking about.

Gary Cowton Doc? The crazy horse?
A few more that deserve a mention tongue Paul Hawke , Simon Eishold , Adrian Hickmont , Rocket Mctherson Tony Antrobus Justin Murphy, Dereck Hall ,Josh Fraser , all very handy footballers and nearly forgot one of my favourites in Lally Bamblett a player Mick Malthouse named in a side of the best players he has coached, and he’s coached a few !!

A few more that deserve a mention tongue Paul Hawke , Simon Eishold , Adrian Hickmont , Rocket Mctherson Tony Antrobus Justin Murphy, Dereck Hall ,Josh Fraser , all very handy footballers and nearly forgot one of my favourites in Lally Bamblett a player Mick Malthouse named in a side of the best players he has coached, and he’s coached a few !!
Mark Blake AFL premiership and a Morrison

Some good memories there swoop. The GV league has been blessed with some truly great players over the years. I forgot Matt Febey and Jamie Duursma in '92 at Rochy. I think with Dirty Williams there as well Roland Crosby famously referenced playing the Melbourne 2nds! (I think Brad Sparks arrived in '93 but could be wrong)

Some good memories there swoop. The GV league has been blessed with some truly great players over the years. I forgot Matt Febey and Jamie Duursma in '92 at Rochy. I think with Dirty Williams there as well Roland Crosby famously referenced playing the Melbourne 2nds! (I think Brad Sparks arrived in '93 but could be wrong)

Sparksy left Sale at the end of 92 and it cost us a flag down there in 93. He was good on the field and even better off it !

Williams Coached Rochy in 92 so he was definately their. Febey started the year at Rochester then played 10 senior games at Melbourne as the year progressed and went on to play 143 and be quite a good player for the Dees.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back