Goulburn Valley FL 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you know how many people normally die of the Flu and Influenza each year? & they don't put any restrictions in place. You can't concede everything to knock it over. That's why you would keep the elderly guarded and get the workforce rolling again in a month or so.

TBH, I am not sure how conservative the Federal and State governments will be on this. I am hopeful that we are a few steps closer to normality by mid-May, but if we have a spike in the weeks after Easter then we are in for a setback.

Obviously governments will want things back to normal again ASAP to mitigate some of the cost but few people know what the trigger point will be to get things kickstarted again.

Some states have elections coming up (WA is under a year away from memory) so the governments in those states won't to * things up by going backwards in their progress through a bad call.

Agree that it needs to be a consistent approach across the state
Why putting an increased obstacle in front of clubs trying to rebuild , is of high priority , is beyond me .
Clubs are not worried about buying premierships on resuming , they just want to rebuild their communities as they are well aware of the potential mental health risks.
If the AFL wants to introduce cost reductions in football , they should include all of the costs they are responsible for .
The largest component in most player payments budgets is travel - the amount needed to get a player to travel to play at their club including their own 1 pointers who are working or at uni in major cities . Tightening of salary caps make it harder for rural community based clubs and easier for suburban ones .
Salary cap doesn’t prevent clubs from going broke or clubs spending beyond their means . Each club has a completely different model , income level and Football department expenditure which is sustainable.
All salary caps are doing is putting another level of governance to allow selected competitions to grow at the expense of others. Eg surburban and state league football .

Last edited:
Yep it's really interesting isn't it, with schools shut down for the term, I can't see any sport being looked at soon, the NRL are kidding themselves.

Footy clubs may need to start up virtual can bars, where from 1-530 ona Saturday people have a few beers and chat via Skype on a computer, to improve mental health in communities.

I'm expecting to be working from home until September, and for schools to be shut until then, how can you play community sport, I can't see the AFL playing, I hope I'm wrong
It’s my understanding that the service industry as is Clubs / Pubs / Restuarants / Accommodation , Tourism and connected industries , has the biggest impact on the countries finances.
On that understanding there will be continued financial pressure to allow these industries to restart . When they restart I think and hope it will be the trigger for sport to restart .
I’m optimistic that if things continue to reduce that at the start to middle of May , the allowable gathering numbers will be increased to 100, with some restriction if possible that those attending the gathering aren’t from a broad area .
Schools , city trams and air ports where there are thousands of people from wide spread areas should be the last to re-open.

Last edited:

If travel bumps on player payments why do country clubs have far inferior salaries to metro leagues? If every club in the state had a salary of 100 grand, wouldn't that push more talent to the country to play?

Country leagues have dropped in standard whilst metro leagues have got stronger

Why putting an increased obstacle in front of clubs trying to rebuild , is of high priority , is beyond me .
Clubs are not worried about buying premierships on resuming , they just want to rebuild their communities as they are well aware of the potential mental health risks.
If the AFL wants to introduce cost reductions in football , they should include all of the costs they are responsible for .
The largest component in most player payments budgets is travel - the amount needed to get a player to travel to play at their club including their own 1 pointers who are working or at uni in major cities . Tightening of salary caps make it harder for rural community based clubs and easier for suburban ones .
Salary cap doesn’t prevent clubs from going broke or clubs spending beyond their means . Each club has a completely different model , income level and Football department expenditure which is sustainable.
All salary caps are doing is putting another level of governance to allow selected competitions to grow at the expense of others. Eg surburban and state league football .

If travel bumps on player payments why do country clubs have far inferior salaries to metro leagues? If every club in the state had a salary of 100 grand, wouldn't that push more talent to the country to play?

Country leagues have dropped in standard whilst metro leagues have got stronger
Trent the flight Steward
I’m not sure of the questions your are asking .
It costs more to get a player to travel and as such more to get a player living in Melbourne , due to school / work to travel back home to play say in Shepp, than a local still living in Shepp or for a club in Melbourne to recruit the Shepp local .
Why country clubs have a lesser salary cap than metro clubs is a mystery , but it explains why country comps have dropped and metro improved .
If every club had the same salary cap the larger populated areas would have an advantage as they would have more players that they don’t have to pay a travel component .
Having now read the article although confusing it seems to indicate a 50% reduction over and beyond any reduction which is occurred due to less games being played in 2020.
I am yet to see how the salary cap has or will impact on high paid mercenaries , it seems to me to only be impacting on the blokes who won’t enough to cover costs or retire .

Last edited:
Trent the flight Steward
It costs more to get a player to travel and as such more to get a player living in Melbourne , due to school / work to travel back home to pay say in Shepp, than a local still living in Shepp or for the same kid to play in Melbourne .
Why country clubs have a lesser salary cap than metro clubs is a mystery , but it explains why country comps have dropped and metro improved .
If every club had the same salary cap the larger populated areas would have an advantage as they would have more players that they don’t have to pay a travel component .

Conspiracy theory number one: the more players that play in Melbourne, the more that can attend AFL games.

Conspiracy theory number one: the more players that play in Melbourne, the more that can attend AFL games.
Only to games outside of when their metro footy is played .

Number 2 :
The tighter they screw country clubs the less complaint they’ll get when screwing metro clubs and by screwing metro clubs the less enticing they are and more enticing AFL clubs state league teams are.

Only to games outside of when their metro footy is played .

Number 2 :
The tighter they screw country clubs the less complaint they’ll get when screwing metro clubs and by screwing metro clubs the less enticing they are and more enticing AFL clubs state league teams are.

Most games of AFL are now played outside of the traditional Saturday arvo slot

Do you know how many people normally die of the Flu and Influenza each year? & they don't put any restrictions in place. You can't concede everything to knock it over. That's why you would keep the elderly guarded and get the workforce rolling again in a month or so.

Yes Flu kills
But tell that to the family’s that have lost love ones cause their parents just happened to be on the some plane as so people from a certain cruise ship.

The flu wouldn’t have bowled innocent older people over.

Yes Flu kills
But tell that to the family’s that have lost love ones cause their parents just happened to be on the some plane as so people from a certain cruise ship.

Unfortunately flu can bowl someone over similarly , have an elderly parent who has a underlinning illness and they have basically been in lock down during the winter for a few years due to risk of flu .

Unfortunately flu can bowl someone over similarly , have an elderly parent who has a underlinning illness and they have basically been in lock down during the winter for a few years due to risk of flu .

Yes. But you have prepared for that some what.

COVID-19 is more of a super flu. If that makes sense

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting on the news tonight , some leading Doctor said. Sport may come back as part of stage 2 of reintroducing things.

But no crowds

Interesting on the news tonight , some leading Doctor said. Sport may come back as part of stage 2 of reintroducing things.

But no crowds

Amazing that high profile celebs all 'managed ' to get this virus and then recover; Richard Wilkins(not really an A grader), Prince Charles, Tom Hanks, Harvey Weinstein, Kenny Dalgleish and Boris Johnstone...we are all being had!

At the moment roar metro Premier league clubs have a salary of 200, 000, I believe the gv is 160,000 grand or less, that's a minimum 40 grand disparity, so you can see how country clubs are up against it trying to compete to retain their best locals that have moved for work, uni and then try and recruit guys, or even get ex AFL players, especially when you see how the ammos points system operates, and how they can get players straight from AFL with no alliance as 1 pointers. And you can see why the standard of top tier country leagues has dropped off. Metro clubs are also allocated more points as well, even though they have at clubs like Keilor, triple the junior numbers of country clubs, so you can see why Gill and co don't care too much about country footy, they are trying to slowly kill it off, where the corona could fast track this, where I think ideally they see a top tier private school system and the AFL and no other footy, similar to American sports

Trent the flight Steward
It costs more to get a player to travel and as such more to get a player living in Melbourne , due to school / work to travel back home to play say in Shepp, than a local still living in Shepp or for a club in Melbourne to recruit the Shepp local .
Having now read the article although confusing it seems to indicate a 50% reduction over and beyond any reduction which is occurred due to less games being played in 2020.
I am yet to see how the salary cap has or will impact on high paid mercenaries , it seems to me to only be impacting on the blokes who won’t enough to cover costs or retire .

At the moment roar metro Premier league clubs have a salary of 200, 000, I believe the gv is 160,000 grand or less, that's a minimum 40 grand disparity, so you can see how country clubs are up against it trying to compete to retain their best locals that have moved for work, uni and then try and recruit guys, or even get ex AFL players, especially when you see how the ammos points system operates, and how they can get players straight from AFL with no alliance as 1 pointers. And you can see why the standard of top tier country leagues has dropped off. Metro clubs are also allocated more points as well, even though they have at clubs like Keilor, triple the junior numbers of country clubs, so you can see why Gill and co don't care too much about country footy, they are trying to slowly kill it off, where the corona could fast track this, where I think ideally they see a top tier private school system and the AFL and no other footy, similar to American sports
GV Cap is $171,000.

I think you’ve nailed it .

Yes Flu kills

Difference is we have a vaccine for flu. All elderly people ... and well, everyone really ought to have their vaccination each year. Readily available but many people don't, so they tend to spread the flu to other non-vaccinators.

I suspect this covid19 thing will see changes in behaviour about flu vaccination as well.

Amazing that high profile celebs all 'managed ' to get this virus and then recover; Richard Wilkins(not really an A grader), Prince Charles, Tom Hanks, Harvey Weinstein, Kenny Dalgleish and Boris Johnstone...we are all being had!
Mate you forgot Pink, and Peter (send 'em to Manus Island unless It's me) Dutton! Not that he is a celebrity, or an A grader.

Difference is we have a vaccine for flu. All elderly people ... and well, everyone really ought to have their vaccination each year. Readily available but many people don't, so they tend to spread the flu to other non-vaccinators.

I suspect this covid19 thing will see changes in behaviour about flu vaccination as well.
The flu vaccination doesn’t cover all influenza’s , people who get the flu vaccination can still got a flu .

GV Cap is $171,000.

That is a large sum of money to raise. Getting close to $10k a game just on player payments, not to mention the other costs involved.

If the GV was set at $200k, I think you’d find more clubs becoming cyclical in their pursuit of a premiership (as Tatura have done quite successfully in recent times through peaks and troughs).

For that to work the number of major league teams in our area would need to reduce as we don’t have the population base to support the businesses that support the clubs.

I’d suggest that a population base of at least 8,000 people would be required to generate that kind of revenue consistently. The GV has a number of clubs drawing on population bases as low as 3,500 that would struggle long term with a larger cap.

Raising the cap is one thing - maintaining that spend is another.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That is a large sum of money to raise. Getting close to $10k a game just on player payments, not to mention the other costs involved.

If the GV was set at $200k, I think you’d find more clubs becoming cyclical in their pursuit of a premiership (as Tatura have done quite successfully in recent times through peaks and troughs).

For that to work the number of major league teams in our area would need to reduce as we don’t have the population base to support the businesses that support the clubs.

I’d suggest that a population base of at least 8,000 people would be required to generate that kind of revenue consistently. The GV has a number of clubs drawing on population bases as low as 3,500 that would struggle long term with a larger cap.

Raising the cap is one thing - maintaining that spend is another.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Few flaws in this logic IMO , which is the way some at headquarters think .

1. Having a $200k salary cap doesn’t mean every club has to spend $200k every year or to be successful . Salary Caps limit the level a competition can get to , it doesn’t put a level on what clubs must spend Or teach club executives budgeting . No less clubs are going broke since salary caps have been introduced .
2. Few if any two clubs are the same .
3. Often the clubs within larger populations have more junior players / 1 pointers and have cheaper access to players . However they often don’t have the financial backing of more remote communities .

Plenty of cashed up remote clubs (over $300k in bank or investments and spending $100k + a year on infrastructure) in this region who can’t compete on the field due to points and salary cap restraints.

Salary caps are reducing the ability of remote clubs to compete against Their surburban counterparts .

All club executives run their everyday life by considering what they wish v what they can afford .

Mate you forgot Pink, and Peter (send 'em to Manus Island unless It's me) Dutton! Not that he is a celebrity, or an A grader.
'
Geez mate, posting at 2.15 am ...the iso must be getting to you. Yes i forgot Pink and that other person you mentioned. Those mass graves in NY are of people that no one knows, suprise suprise! death from flu is 01%, Carona 1%

Remove this Banner Ad

Back