Remove this Banner Ad

nesko_25

Club Legend
Feb 5, 2006
In a cave
AFL Club
Essendon
From the Shepp News yesterday:

AFL Victoria's return to training protocols allow clubs to hit the fields tonight — but few, if any, clubs will be doing so.

Many clubs themselves voted to postpone the small group training that is allowed under the protocols, but the decision was taken out of many others’ hands, with a number still waiting on council approval to once again begin season preparations.

Beginning today, Victorian Government, AFL Victoria and Netball Victoria guidelines permit teams to train in groups of no more than 10 players, for non-contact training, with other protocols including not allowing access to club rooms and each club nominating a COVID Safety Officer that will undertake infection control training.

But clubs within the City of Greater Shepparton cannot return to club-sanctioned training until at least June 1, with council to not take formal bookings on its sporting grounds until then.

And even in regions where local councils would permit training, a handful of have opted against it, casting further doubt on a football and netball season that already hangs in the balance.

That doubt was further reinforced late last week when Heathcote District Football Netball League became the first country league to officially cancel its season, citing a myriad of factors including health and safety, financial implications and the "highly-unlikely" chances of full training returning by June 15, the latest date requested by its clubs.

At the time of writing, four Picola District league clubs — Tocumwal, Picola United, Katunga and Mathoura — had publicly announced they would not return to club-sanctioned training as of yet, with community health concerns their number-one priority.

Picola United president Brad Caldwell explained his club's decision, with health and safety, a lack of an apparent timeline on a season and huge workload on committee members all part of the reasoning.

“Our committee is really cautious about getting back to football and netball this year; as much as we want to we just don't think it's a great idea at this stage,” Caldwell said.

“Medical advice would tell you it's far from ideal with both being fairly contact-heavy sports, so that's part of it. In terms of not training, there's no certainty we'll be playing games, I don't believe we're very close to playing.

“As soon as we start training, the juniors will want to train too, so that's two or three senior nights plus another junior night we'll need to be at the club to fit with the protocols.

“Our reasoning for holding off on training is we don't feel it's safe, and it's far too much of a workload for the committee and coaches to be there potentially four nights a week.”

Caldwell noted at least six club figures in key roles were aged in their mid-60s or older, stating those "club legends" should be staying home.

“Number one, because it's not great for them, but number two, how does the club function without those people?" he said. “I've been fairly vocal that I don't think it's a great idea to be playing this year.”

Meanwhile, Goulburn Valley Suns will also be forced to wait another week before they can resume training. While many of their National Premier League rivals have already started training or will begin this week, the council's decision will mean the Suns are playing catch-up when they eventually get back on the pitch. Football Victoria is targeting an early July kick-off for the NPL2 campaign.

Post padding

Premiership Player
Nov 15, 2009
echuca
AFL Club
Carlton
So when we talk crowd numbers. Are we talking people at the event or people watching the event. This yr just players alone across the four matches = 168 people. ??

Mar 13, 2007
THE TAN
AFL Club
Richmond
That was my thinking.
So another 100 people just as players.

So up the 268. With not even the COVID-19 number counter at the gate included

I struggle to see how the 500 rule is going to work
Restriction numbers are based on the ‘x’ amount at any given time . I think it’s reasonable to assume that could mean 650 over a day at the footy .
I personally think at those numbers those that want to play can and will make it work comfortably , those that don’t obviously won’t .
No two footy/ netball clubs are the same and they shouldn’t be expected to be .

Last edited:

Whats the crack

Team Captain
May 7, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Two new cases are both in isolation and were returning from international travel .

The fact there has been significant testing of asymptomatic people in the past fortnight and there has been a minimal increase in new cases (especially in rural and regional areas) would suggest that the only barrier to community sport returning with crowds is a sudden outbreak (which all health services are now prepared for)

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Promising news for country & amateur footy. Full contact training in SA to resume on Monday & full competition on June 25. Crowds of 80 for now but will be reviewed before then. Start marking the lines.

I ask the question and especially you Roar and others.

We all want the footy season to re start even if a half a season but how many players post on Big Footy.To all you players out there I ask the following questions and love to hear your replies on this site I would say the final call on a season is up to you guys.

1 How many of you are prepared to play for nothing or pay to play,I would think most if city boys going to play in the country would say no.

2 How many players are willing to support our volunteers,these guys are going to be under the pump if we play with all these restrictions and we need help.I would think one of the biggest worries for our football club committees and our volunteers will be we need a lot of help and even in the good days we struggle to get volunteers.

So to the players out there I welcome responses on this forum as we want replies from you,if you want a season you guys have to make a huge sacrifice.Your clubs and volunteers need a lot of help on and off the field to make this happen.

Mar 13, 2007
THE TAN
AFL Club
Richmond
I ask the question and especially you Roar and others.

We all want the footy season to re start even if a half a season but how many players post on Big Footy.To all you players out there I ask the following questions and love to hear your replies on this site I would say the final call on a season is up to you guys.

1 How many of you are prepared to play for nothing or pay to play,I would think most if city boys going to play in the country would say no.

2 How many players are willing to support our volunteers,these guys are going to be under the pump if we play with all these restrictions and we need help.I would think one of the biggest worries for our football club committees and our volunteers will be we need a lot of help and even in the good days we struggle to get volunteers.

So to the players out there I welcome responses on this forum as we want replies from you,if you want a season you guys have to make a huge sacrifice.Your clubs and volunteers need a lot of help on and off the field to make this happen.
MCG , with respect IMO your questions are hypothetical based .

1. I don’t subscribe to the theory that clubs will be forced to endure large financial loss . I very much believe that well over 95% of revenue and expenses could be structured proportionally to the games played .

2. To the best of my knowledge there has been no confirmation of what additionally workload volunteers will be required to undertake .

Trent the flight Steward

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 30, 2006
Cessnock
AFL Club
Geelong
That's because you think every club has 500k in the bank roar😉

MCG is right, there's no country players association to get their views of they want to play or not, leagues have no contact with players, clubs have only had limited contact, are they in shape to play physically and mentally, will players want more pay, due to lack of work, will players play for less pay, are guys more interested in working now then playing

Other questions are
Will qtrs be shorter ? More on the bench? Will there be seconds, change room setups? How will this work, will there be 30 minutes between games? Who's in charge of making sure all rules are met, will clubs be fined will leagues pay for health officers? Will clubs get fined if they breach rules?

1. I don’t subscribe to the theory that clubs will be forced to endure large financial loss . I very much believe that well over 95% of revenue and expenses could be structured proportionally to the games played .

2. To the best of my knowledge there has been no confirmation of what additionally workload volunteers will be required to undertake .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney

Well mate can I ask the question do you have any contact with your club's or any clubs personal on what lays ahead and I am a volunteer of my club and spend 20 plus hours a week working at my club and I am getting the same message from 95% of people cancel the season,of cause to sway us 95% who say cancel the season the onus goes back on to the players which I have just posted on and how will they will help us volunteers. I ask the question to you "will you be there game day and being one of our volunteers"

Dragon Fly

All Australian
Dec 19, 2008
Under the QEO stand
AFL Club
Adelaide
That was my thinking.
So another 100 people just as players.

So up the 268. With not even the COVID-19 number counter at the gate included

I struggle to see how the 500 rule is going to work
That's because you think every club has 500k in the bank roar😉

MCG is right, there's no country players association to get their views of they want to play or not, leagues have no contact with players, clubs have only had limited contact, are they in shape to play physically and mentally, will players want more pay, due to lack of work, will players play for less pay, are guys more interested in working now then playing

Other questions are
Will qtrs be shorter ? More on the bench? Will there be seconds, change room setups? How will this work, will there be 30 minutes between games? Who's in charge of making sure all rules are met, will clubs be fined will leagues pay for health officers? Will clubs get fined if they breach rules?
I know of a League that had players do a Survey but that's what your Club admin is for I'm sure Club's would have a feel if players are keen to play. Once the AFL start playing this will feel more real & those that are prepared to wait for Crowds & do some extra duties to tick the health boxes will be rewarded.

Dragon Fly

All Australian
Dec 19, 2008
Under the QEO stand
AFL Club
Adelaide
Well mate can I ask the question do you have any contact with your club's or any clubs personal on what lays ahead and I am a volunteer of my club and spend 20 plus hours a week working at my club and I am getting the same message from 95% of people cancel the season,of cause to sway us 95% who say cancel the season the onus goes back on to the players which I have just posted on and how will they will help us volunteers. I ask the question to you "will you be there game day and being one of our volunteers"
Players are used on Rosters week to week year to year so I'd day the likelyhood of that being extended to cover some extra duties would be high. But if 95% of the Club doesn't want the Season just close the doors simple.

Silver Tongue

Premiership Player
Jul 25, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I know of a League that had players do a Survey but that's what your Club admin is for I'm sure Club's would have a feel if players are keen to play. Once the AFL start playing this will feel more real & those that are prepared to wait for Crowds & do some extra duties to tick the health boxes will be rewarded.
What league mate?

Trent the flight Steward

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 30, 2006
Cessnock
AFL Club
Geelong
Sounds like a lightening premiership scenario, shorter qtrs more on the bench and sounds like Saturday Sunday games?

I would think it will be hard to get twos numbers and one less game means it's easier to clean the change rooms as it's only the thirds beforehand

Explain double Rounds Ringo? Who no Reserves? Creates the same issue the AFL have with guys out of the Senior team getting a run.

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney

I ask the question to you Roar and all people that want us to play.Are you guys that hide keyboards willing to jump on board as a volunteer each week for your club to help us and same goes to players that want to play.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2007
THE TAN
AFL Club
Richmond
I ask the question to you Roar and all people that want us to play,are you guys that hide behind a keyboard and give your 2 bobs worth,"OR are you guys that are volunteers making the call to play and I respect every ones 2 bobs worth as like all of us I am missing local footy so much at the moment.
MCG , I don’t want anyone to play if they don’t want to .
I think anyone who wants to play should be able to and those don’t should never be forced , covid or not covid .
My biggest concern is people have not considered the potential affect of not playing .
I’ve considered all of the fears of playing that I have heard , including increased financial pressure , increased workload on volunteers etc etc .
My research has not supported them .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back