Goulburn Valley FL 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Lost to the game I am not sure of,what else and other interests could they now have with this isolation.Agree junior wise especially in the 8 to 9 year olds could be a worry but with the AFL hopefully starting shortly we all will have something to watch again shortly although I would rather be watching a local game of footy.When I thought we were making progress with this bloody Covid 19 the latest announcement by the State Government that we will stay in emergency for another 3 weeks because more break outs is a concern.
Six news cases : 3 Returning o/s travellers , two which in time are likely to be linked back to cedar meats and 1 yet known . The amount of cases linked to Dan’s cedar meats is basically holding the state back from re-opening Unfortunately .
Think the O&M described it as well as I’ve seen it described and the point Ringo is getting to ;
If we don’t play this year and go into 2021 without a season in 2020 we are going to be coming from a long way back. Players, supporters would have had 12 months off creating other habits and when footy-netball is played again it won’t be the priority it perhaps has been.

Last edited:
I just think that if there is no football this year players will be lost to the game. Clubs and leagues will be drastically changed. If you can play, then I think the show has to go on.

Being involved with a club within a league that has already made its decision, I still think the GV has time to play. The GVL needs 13 weeks to run an 11 week season and a Sudden Death Final 4 - 1 v 4 and 2 v 3, winners play in GF.

So a July 25 start could work due to the cricketers pushing back their season.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Any school teachers on here that play GV footy.

Would they like to share what’s the eduction departments view is on staff mixing in larger gatherings and sport outside of their work considering they are very important to our kids and education.

A good question and just shows how complicated is for all of us and the leagues,clubs and even governments.

Lost to the game I am not sure of,what else and other interests could they now have with this isolation.Agree junior wise especially in the 8 to 9 year olds could be a worry but with the AFL hopefully starting shortly we all will have something to watch again shortly although I would rather be watching a local game of footy.When I thought we were making progress with this bloody Covid 19 the latest announcement by the State Government that we will stay in emergency for another 3 weeks because more break outs is a concern.
The issue is mate the amount of players that are now working on a Saturday. Do they return to the game? The relationships within a club are now being threatened by new ones. Players will of lost jobs and will need to move from the towns and clubs they are connected to. Players that are 30 plus may not return. The mental impact will see many people continue to isolate from social circles without community clubs. We need club and community football back asap otherwise some of our clubs and leagues may not be what they were.The best planning for 2021 can only happen if 2020 happens. Almost every player will need to be recruited back to their clubs in some way.

A lot of people still can't do anything, so it's not like another hobby is going to overtake footy numbers, I can just see the back page of the local rag, mass exodus of footy players to orienteering club.

I work in the development sector, and large scale projects such as large scale subdivisions are drying up, as you would imagine, with the money required to complete these, the bank's aren't loaning. That will mean there will be bugger all tradies working Saturdays, the housing slows up, so people will still have free weekends.

I see that the essendon and district clubs are playing with no one getting paid, will be interesting to see if players play as thats the highest paying league in the state. I see also as a side note that pubs who are most footy clubs major sponsor are losing on average 40 grand a month, so that gives an indication of how hard this is hitting the local community businesses and the flow on affect of sponsoring clubs.

Just remember it's bloody hard for the government to come up with a Victorian community footy start up plan. No other community sport is like footy, where players travel hours to play, same with spectators, the money involved is nothing like any other community sport in the country.

Roar i liken you to Peter vlardys, you are steadfast on playing and like vlardys, you've copped it but like vlardys, but I expect you to play, which is great to see some leagues play👍👍

The issue is mate the amount of players that are now working on a Saturday. Do they return to the game? The relationships within a club are now being threatened by new ones. Players will of lost jobs and will need to move from the towns and clubs they are connected to. Players that are 30 plus may not return. The mental impact will see many people continue to isolate from social circles without community clubs. We need club and community football back asap otherwise some of our clubs and leagues may not be what they were.The best planning for 2021 can only happen if 2020 happens. Almost every player will need to be recruited back to their clubs in some way.

A lot of people still can't do anything, so it's not like another hobby is going to overtake footy numbers, I can just see the back page of the local rag, mass exodus of footy players to orienteering club.

I work in the development sector, and large scale projects such as large scale subdivisions are drying up, as you would imagine, with the money required to complete these, the bank's aren't loaning. That will mean there will be bugger all tradies working Saturdays, the housing slows up, so people will still have free weekends.

I see that the essendon and district clubs are playing with no one getting paid, will be interesting to see if players play as thats the highest paying league in the state. I see also as a side note that pubs who are most footy clubs major sponsor are losing on average 40 grand a month, so that gives an indication of how hard this is hitting the local community businesses and the flow on affect of sponsoring clubs.

Just remember it's bloody hard for the government to come up with a Victorian community footy start up plan. No other community sport is like footy, where players travel hours to play, same with spectators, the money involved is nothing like any other community sport in the country.

Roar i liken you to Peter vlardys, you are steadfast on playing and like vlardys, you've copped it but like vlardys, but I expect you to play, which is great to see some leagues play👍👍

I agree mate but the issues will be with those who decide to work on Saturdays, enjoy the cash (Footy cash will be minimal) and don't come back.

Not found
Six news cases : 3 Returning o/s travellers , two which in time are likely to be linked back to cedar meats and 1 yet known . The amount of cases linked to Dan’s cedar meats is basically holding the state back from re-opening Unfortunately .
Think the O&M described it as well as I’ve seen it described and the point Ringo is getting to ;
If we don’t play this year and go into 2021 without a season in 2020 we are going to be coming from a long way back. Players, supporters would have had 12 months off creating other habits and when footy-netball is played again it won’t be the priority it perhaps has been.

Habits are formed over a period of time. I have not been to the MCG to watch the 'Pies since last August but guess what, as soon as crowds are allowed at the footy I will be back. As soon as GV footy is back I will be making the four hour return trip to watch them. The nature of 'habits' mean they are difficult to discard.

For a long while I've thought that Club's should invest some money into the Administration of their Club's. Club's head hunt a Coach to lead the Football side of things and quite often they get lumped with pushing other areas for the Club as well. I think if you could get a quality person with a Football/Business type background it would be well worth paying them in a part time capacity to lead your Club's administration in a Part Time capacity on similar money to what Coaches are on. Some of the people carrying these roles currently deserve a pat on the back because they are doing it in a Volunteer basis but they are out of their depth. A smarter approach about how Club's service their Sponsors, organise their volunteers and fundraisers and support their Coaches/Football Department's would be well worth it over the course of a 12 month period considering Major League Club's are turning over 300k-400k type money in a year these days. If Caps are going to be reduced on players this is the perfect opportunity to introduce an investment towards an improved administration model.

Not found

Habits are formed over a period of time. I have not been to the MCG to watch the 'Pies since last August but guess what, as soon as crowds are allowed at the footy I will be back. As soon as GV footy is back I will be making the four hour return trip to watch them. The nature of 'habits' mean they are difficult to discard.
You and most people on here are very passionate about football silver and will come back to the game when ever and wherever it is played. Not everyone is like that.
A lot of seconds footballers that just have a with there mates will be doing other things with those mates for 18 months between games if we don’t play this year.
Kids are the same they will find other things to do. There parents are thinking how great it is not buying football boot, not paying fees to play and how much easier life is not having to get up early on Saturday morning to take little Johny to football.
These are the people we could loose not the passionate people that will do anything for there clubs.

For a long while I've thought that Club's should invest some money into the Administration of their Club's. Club's head hunt a Coach to lead the Football side of things and quite often they get lumped with pushing other areas for the Club as well. I think if you could get a quality person with a Football/Business type background it would be well worth paying them in a part time capacity to lead your Club's administration in a Part Time capacity on similar money to what Coaches are on. Some of the people carrying these roles currently deserve a pat on the back because they are doing it in a Volunteer basis but they are out of their depth. A smarter approach about how Club's service their Sponsors, organise their volunteers and fundraisers and support their Coaches/Football Department's would be well worth it over the course of a 12 month period considering Major League Club's are turning over 300k-400k type money in a year these days. If Caps are going to be reduced on players this is the perfect opportunity to introduce an investment towards an improved administration model.
Full time coaches who also do admin are the way forward imo

You and most people on here are very passionate about football silver and will come back to the game when ever and wherever it is played. Not everyone is like that.
A lot of seconds footballers that just have a with there mates will be doing other things with those mates for 18 months between games if we don’t play this year.
Kids are the same they will find other things to do. There parents are thinking how great it is not buying football boot, not paying fees to play and how much easier life is not having to get up early on Saturday morning to take little Johny to football.
These are the people we could loose not the passionate people that will do anything for there clubs.
Well said Bomber. Maybe it's parents of kids who are the issue? As far as schools go (secondary) I can tell you that after this period of remote learning the most prolific things boys are telling me is that they want to be playing footy again. For primary aged kids, if parents aren't taking them to the footy, they will be taking them somewhere else.

Your point about seconds players is a good one. Though there isn't much to entertain young blokes during winter in towns like Rochy, Kyabram, Tatura etc as I recall? Not like there is an Arts culture or food culture like Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Full time coaches who also do admin are the way forward imo

Coach leaves. Admin leaves.

I would prefer it separate

I’ve always wondered why someone in a town that plays major football hasn’t set up a admin hub service.

Admin for Footy Netball, Seniors and Juniors
Admin for local Basketball, Tennis, Cricket

Save a town having to find 6 treasurers 6 Secretaries etc.

I might be too far left field but s**t I would pay more for my kids subs to pay some to do those roles if it meant more time for volunteers to actually do other stuff within clubs

Kids still love their footy, they all still take their footy cards to school, I can't see that age group being a problem as the parents enjoy the social aspect of it as well.

Could be the end of twos footy, there's less blokes in the footy age playing bracket in those towns now silver, I think you will find girls footy will take the twos timeslot in the coming years

Well said Bomber. Maybe it's parents of kids who are the issue? As far as schools go (secondary) I can tell you that after this period of remote learning the most prolific things boys are telling me is that they want to be playing footy again. For primary aged kids, if parents aren't taking them to the footy, they will be taking them somewhere else.

Your point about seconds players is a good one. Though there isn't much to entertain young blokes during winter in towns like Rochy, Kyabram, Tatura etc as I recall? Not like there is an Arts culture or food culture like Melbourne.

Kids still love their footy, they all still take their footy cards to school, I can't see that age group being a problem as the parents enjoy the social aspect of it as well.

Could be the end of twos footy, there's less blokes in the footy age playing bracket in those towns now silver, I think you will find girls footy will take the twos timeslot in the coming years

Some good points Trent but I do not want to see girls football replace Reserves footy. The reserves are the glue, the motivators of the social scene. If girls football replaces that then we are doomed !

If we can get on the park we need to. The game needs us to make the investment and do everything we can.

Some clubs and some players will be 100% lost to the game, there is a vulnerability among the 19-21 year olds who have moved into apprenticeships and full time work who choose to work Saturdays and then there is the group who aren’t fitness fanatics but love playing and the social side having not played for 18months having lost motivation to come back to the game. There is the the group of players who are 25-30 who are moving in to the phases of getting married, buying a house and starting a family whose partners have enjoyed having them on hand during Saturday’s.the 30+ year olds who are fighting the battle of one more year v an ageing body might not be able to get that extra year through a pre season.

I hope clubs and leagues do everything they can to play permitting it is safe to do so which it sounds like it will be by mid July

It looks as though development is ramping up, there was a lull for a few months due to uncertainty but there has been a spike in approvals for subdivisions and development and the new task force collaboration between Finance and Planning Minister to push through 'shovel ready' projects will spur the development for the next 12-18 months.

The large developments/subby's will continue but it's the 'Mum & Dad' 2-3 unit developments or subdivisions that won't occur in regional areas. Majority of Melbourne's biggest developers are Super Funds and they have some big projects in the pipeline that are not slowing down due to Covid. The GV area is still forging ahead with plenty of solar farms, large resi subdivision and community infrastructure. Whilst this takes time to translate to job creation and construction, this will likely impact in 12 months with a lot of trades working overtime.

But Dictator Dan is the man

Confirms the fractures opening up with leagues looking to take back control. The Riddell and Ballarat leagues look like walking away from AFLVIC

Confirms the fractures opening up with leagues looking to take back control. The Riddell and Ballarat leagues look like walking away from AFLVIC
Does Rod Ward still run all that Ringo?

Some good points Trent but I do not want to see girls football replace Reserves footy. The reserves are the glue, the motivators of the social scene. If girls football replaces that then we are doomed !
Totally agree mate. Without wishing to be politically incorrect in the current climate, but two's footy is exactly what you say as players are often the fabric of the Club. Some are not much good at footy but terrific in a club sense.

The demise of two's country footy will quickly lead to the demise of senior teams within a club. There is a place for women's footy but not at the expense of Reserves footy. It was labelled the Reserves for a reason as the Senior team needs them.

Does Rod Ward still run all that Ringo?
Gerard Ryan is the RGM, use to be at the VFCL heading up umpiring , before moving up the chain in some regards in AFL Vic head office before being seemingly side shifted out to Goldfields recently . Spent to much time under Reaper and as such often has the Hitler dictating mentality .

Gerard Ryan is the RGM, use to be at the VFCL heading up umpiring , before moving up the chain in some regards in AFL Vic head office before being seemingly side shifted out to Goldfields recently . Spent to much time under Reaper and as such often has the Hitler dictating mentality .
Yep sounds pretty true of Gerard as I recall.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back