Goulburn Valley FL 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon most of the coaches in tac cup get bugger all pay compared to private school coaches.

I reckon the caps are being enforced stricter, obviously deer Park have better accountants than AFL Vic thoughšŸ¤­šŸ¤­

How many coaches dumped from AFL will go to suburban or country footy next year? It's gone from almost a full time gig to part time 2 days a week training I would think, is footy better off from this? Will clubs have line coaches next year or this year or just the coach and assistant coach

Deer Park ... tote tickets is the word, and yes the TAC/NAB $$$ is a big query as it's hard to promote a semi-elite program and not resource it correctly. I've argued for years that how many more credentialled blokes aren't involved because they can get their $20-25k locally, less hours etc as simply their motivations of the game differ to those developing their own pathway or generally interested in mentoring youth.

However all this plays out from top level down all the layers over the next year or so will be interesting, for me the Scott Gowans release yesterday has a few in my circle now asking ... why even bother.

Deer Park ... tote tickets is the word, and yes the TAC/NAB $$$ is a big query as it's hard to promote a semi-elite program and not resource it correctly. I've argued for years that how many more credentialled blokes aren't involved because they can get their $20-25k locally, less hours etc as simply their motivations of the game differ to those developing their own pathway or generally interested in mentoring youth.

However all this plays out from top level down all the layers over the next year or so will be interesting, for me the Scott Gowans release yesterday has a few in my circle now asking ... why even bother.

The Scott Gowans issue is reflective of the so called 'industry' It is a Boys club and unless you are one of them then there is no actual pathway.

I'm wondering if these League's will flip if restrictions are eased to allow Crowds before they make a call.

It's happening here in WA.

The Goldfields league (Kalgoorlie) announced last Thursday night that it was pulling the pin on 2020. Barely 12 hours later, Mark McGowan announced the next series of restriction rollbacks which apply from June 6.

A sheepish GFL board announced on Monday that it will review its decision to terminate the season ā€¦ from all accounts, the clubs want to play based on the fact that we will be allowed up to 300 from next week and probably 1000 by the end of June. Most leagues intend starting in the first half of July with half-season's and only one (the Central Midlands Coastal league) of the 29 leagues in WA has put a fork in the season apart from the Goldfields. Maybe a maximum of three or four are doubtful to kick off.

Last edited:

North Central FNL has officially called time in season 2020. Loddon Valley not far off either along with the leagues located along the river.
Was about to respond to the 'Voice' but his post disappeared. By river leagues assuming you mean GVFL and O&M but would not be surprised.

As for players swapping leagues on permits (Voice) I doubt there will be anywhere to go. Maybe Picola League if it gets up, but I imagine if they do play it will be zero salary cap.

The mercenaries have no reason to transfer, and loyal locals will plan holidays and do things young blokes do. The loyal old volunteers will go back to plotting and planning for 2021. (Hopefully in a Pub!)

Expect all leagues bar picola to shelf season 2020 by next week

Was about to respond to the 'Voice' but his post disappeared. By river leagues assuming you mean GVFL and O&M but would not be surprised.

As for players swapping leagues on permits (Voice) I doubt there will be anywhere to go. Maybe Picola League if it gets up, but I imagine if they do play it will be zero salary cap.

The mercenaries have no reason to transfer, and loyal locals will plan holidays and do things young blokes do. The loyal old volunteers will go back to plotting and planning for 2021. (Hopefully in a Pub!)

I mentioned yesterday about some leagues playing and some not and players wanting to switch leagues to keep playing a game of football.I think they should go to other the club on a permit not a clearance and I hear that is being looked at now.Still think they should be looked at as perhaps 5 point player but does create a lot of issues.A salary cap of $0 in the city perhaps yes,country I am not sure.A sal.cap of $0 how many players including the existing guys would travel the extra miles from the city to play for nothing.Some really tough calls facing our clubs, leagues,AFL Victoria and even players on which way to go.Looking forward to season 2021 all ready,hopefully covid 19 free and all clubs and leagues back on board.

Got a mate Coaching in the Outer East Comp and they are waiting until June 22nd. If they can get 500 in they will go ahead. 3 different Divisions in that Comp. They've set a set a start date as well.

North Central FNL has officially called time in season 2020. Loddon Valley not far off either along with the leagues located along the river.

Common se

Begs the question if a player switches to another league should he be a 5 point player and salary cap wise should all leagues be $0.Metro I like but not sure about country with the salary cap one.

Last edited:
Expect all leagues bar picola to shelf season 2020 by next week

Gawd does that cause problems if all the guys in country football in northern victoria say I want to play footy and we will head to the Picola league.Perhaps good news for that league if they play but all the hassles with clearances/permits etc and what about the local guy that might miss out on a game.BUT goes back to clubs in the Picola league,can they survive financially with out no crowds/or restrictions no bar,no canteen and no social club if this happens.If they have the money in the bank I can not see any thing wrong with them playing and accepting the expected loss on the season.To the other clubs in debt or little in the bank I would know which way I would go.

Common se

Sorry I deleted,still a little disappointed some one reported me to BF yesterday and the reason I was personal and am not on hear to offend people and not even sure what post.From memory I asked the question about leagues not playing and others playing and players switching from the non league clubs to the playing.Begs the question if a player switches to another league should he be a 5 point player and salary cap wise should all leagues be $0.Metro I like but not sure about country with the salary cap one.
Don't worry about it mate as posts go missing everyday on this forum in the current environment. Play on and keep contributing.

As I said in my last post, I am doubting players who want to transfer at this point, will have anywhere to go. If Picola get up and running and a GV or O&M player (or others) had an opportunity to return to a home club for 10 weeks of footy I reckon that is the only transfer their current club should accept.

Gawd does that cause problems if all the guys in country football in northern victoria say I want to play footy and we will head to the Picola league.Perhaps good news for that league if they play but all the hassles with clearances/permits etc and what about the local guy that might miss out on a game.BUT goes back to clubs in the Picola league,can they survive financially with out no crowds/or restrictions no bar,no canteen and no social club if this happens.If they have the money in the bank I can not see any thing wrong with them playing and accepting the expected loss on the season.To the other clubs in debt or little in the bank I would know which way I would go.
Outside bars , canteens are already permissible .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

July 25.....how funny....letā€™s just have a round robin comp on New Yearā€™s Eve...

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Cricket pre season training in the indoor nets (if open of cause) will start before football 2020,lol.What a joke 8 games and then finals,love local footy but that has just turned me off,every one scap the season and re start 2021 with the same number of sides we were expected to start with in 2020.

I'm see picola and the ammos are setting return dates on Facebook, where the comments section is fairly negative, the general consensus is no footy for 2020

Cricket pre season training in the indoor nets (if open of cause) will start before football 2020,lol.What a joke 8 games and then finals,love local footy but that has just turned me off,every one scap the season and re start 2021 with the same number of sides we were expected to start with in 2020.

I'm see picola and the ammos are setting return dates on Facebook, where the comments section is fairly negative, the general consensus is no footy for 2020

Sadly it probably will be but if so this could well be the death of a number of clubs if no leagues
in my area I think it could be deathknell for Alberton as it is already trying to be split into other leagues by afl Vic

What we need is all kids coming through to have the dream of playing Senior football for their local club, wherever that might be.

If they start in a GV alignment and become a Senior GV player thatā€™s great. If they start in the districts and make it as a young buck, they should be encouraged to make the move into a premier competition. Which should be a natural progression...

My concern is for the kids that start in the GV system and donā€™t progress after junior footy, their path out to the districts needs support.

Itā€™s not that we donā€™t want kids to give up on an AFL dream, itā€™s that we ALSO want them to have the dream of being a 100/200 game player for their club. Both are vitally important for the game.

I do like this snippet from Roughead about his dream of wanting to play at Leongatha.

In 1999, a brash teenager from Leongatha told his teacher he didnā€™t need to do any homework because he was going to be a champion footballer.
If you talk the talk you have to back it up by walking the walk and thatā€™s exactly what Jarryd Roughead did.
His retirement from the AFL was played out on Sunday when team-mates chaired him from the field to celebrate his 15 years at the top.
Those years also included four premierships.
ā€œI was a raw 18-year-old kid from Leongatha. My dream was to play senior Leongatha footy so to play AFL was just beyond my wildest dreams,ā€ he said.
From 1999 to 2003 the Hawthorn great played for the Parrots, starting at the U16s at just 13 years old and then moving into the senior side for multiple games.
While the most his senior team achieved was playing in a losing grand final, Roughyā€™s time at the club has always remained with him.
ā€œI didnā€™t get to win a grandfinal but itā€™s where I made some of my best mates; Iā€™ve always had good memories of the Parrots,ā€ he said.
ā€œHalf my lifetime has been at Leongatha and the other half has been at the Hawks so thatā€™s all Iā€™ve known for 32 years.ā€

Who do you follow in the GV mate?

There is no doubt that when the next full season kicks off a number of leagues could have a different look. However, believe that the GV will still have the same look. I understand both sides of the argument re football this year however I still think if we can play we should, albeit with more restrictions lifted.

There is no doubt that when the next full season kicks off a number of leagues could have a different look. However, believe that the GV will still have the same look. I understand both sides of the argument re football this year however I still think if we can play we should, albeit with more restrictions lifted.
I agree Ringo , but I also believe those who donā€™t want to play should be able to withdraw without any discrimination . Likewise those who wish or feel they need to play should be able to do so without obstruction or discrimination.
There is no right or wrong and clubs views vary significantly .

I have decided to jump on the Shepparton Swans bandwagon but they have had a 2 or 3 bad seasons but I suppose some one has to hold the ladder up.Might try and get up to watch game if the GVFL play.Different atmosphere at country games which I like.
I think they might be down in the bottom few again mate, but as we discussed earlier, Paul Hawke is a quality operator so the Swans are due to rise up again. I think it was only about 2014 they won a Flag. Don't know what happened but premiership players left in droves after their Flag.

I have decided to jump on the Shepparton Swans bandwagon but they have had a 2 or 3 bad seasons but I suppose some one has to hold the ladder up.Might try and get up to watch game if the GVFL play.Different atmosphere at country games which I like.
That's great mate but they might be a bit off it for while. if i was picking a new team to follow i reckon Tatura would be a good one...value for money IMO.

That's great mate but they might be a bit off it for while. if i was picking a new team to follow i reckon Tatura would be a good one...value for money IMO.

Funny how peopleā€™s options vary hey. As a swans man I reckon weā€™d beat tat this year and going fwd

Remove this Banner Ad

Back