Goulburn Valley FL 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Trent the flight Steward

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 30, 2006
Cessnock
AFL Club
Geelong
Is that why he's playing for Inverloch ?

No good article, most guys growing up in the country their goal is to play seniors for their local club, and local footy talk used to dominate school, not sure if it still does

What we need is all kids coming through to have the dream of playing Senior football for their local club, wherever that might be.

If they start in a GV alignment and become a Senior GV player that’s great. If they start in the districts and make it as a young buck, they should be encouraged to make the move into a premier competition. Which should be a natural progression...

My concern is for the kids that start in the GV system and don’t progress after junior footy, their path out to the districts needs support.

It’s not that we don’t want kids to give up on an AFL dream, it’s that we ALSO want them to have the dream of being a 100/200 game player for their club. Both are vitally important for the game.

I do like this snippet from Roughead about his dream of wanting to play at Leongatha.

In 1999, a brash teenager from Leongatha told his teacher he didn’t need to do any homework because he was going to be a champion footballer.
If you talk the talk you have to back it up by walking the walk and that’s exactly what Jarryd Roughead did.
His retirement from the AFL was played out on Sunday when team-mates chaired him from the field to celebrate his 15 years at the top.
Those years also included four premierships.
“I was a raw 18-year-old kid from Leongatha. My dream was to play senior Leongatha footy so to play AFL was just beyond my wildest dreams,” he said.
From 1999 to 2003 the Hawthorn great played for the Parrots, starting at the U16s at just 13 years old and then moving into the senior side for multiple games.
While the most his senior team achieved was playing in a losing grand final, Roughy’s time at the club has always remained with him.
“I didn’t get to win a grandfinal but it’s where I made some of my best mates; I’ve always had good memories of the Parrots,” he said.
“Half my lifetime has been at Leongatha and the other half has been at the Hawks so that’s all I’ve known for 32 years.”

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

GrassKat

Spec Moderator
Dec 15, 2006
Toolamba
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Murchison-Toolamba FNC

Stax on the mill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
All quiet on the Bendigo FL board so I thought I'd put this in here. Interesting ideas

Nearly every other country football thread totally moribund. Yet Goulburn Valley board has reached 111 pages since November!! All without a ball being kicked in anger. Amazing!

Stax on the mill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
We love a chat on here Stax! It would be many more pages if we included the plethora of deleted posts! 😎
Yes Silver. Probably would extend to about 125 pages if not for the erasures. Although I couldn’t imagine that any of your posts would be deleted? 😇😇. Always interesting to visit this board. Something always happening. Heaps of lively, informative, and generally civil discussion. Obviously a lot of football experience, both on and off field.

Wonder if we’re going to get any on field action anywhere this season. The way things are heading it may only be Roar and the Picola league getting underway. It’s a real pity. Local footy and netball, and the social life attached is the lifeblood of many rural communities.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
We love a chat on here Stax! It would be many more pages if we included the plethora of deleted posts! 😎
Would be a lot more pages tongue if GV footy was included 🥱 but hard to do that when there’s been no footy. Looks like roar will get his wish and prediction in the picola league, but what about GV are they a chance ??

Mar 13, 2007
THE TAN
AFL Club
Richmond
Would be a lot more pages tongue if GV footy was included 🥱 but hard to do that when there’s been no footy. Looks like roar will get his wish and prediction in the picola league, but what about GV are they a chance ??
I’m hearing two vastly different stories re the MFL and GVL , whilst news of O&M playing far outweighs news that they won’t , I’m thinking they’ll play .
Edit : While the last I heard, admittedly a little while ago , was that Bendigo were keen enough .

ringo1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 30, 2006
Williamstown/Echuca
AFL Club
Collingwood
Nearly every other country football thread totally moribund. Yet Goulburn Valley board has reached 111 pages since November!! All without a ball being kicked in anger. Amazing!

Divisional football is always an interesting topic. No doubt the Bendigo league is extremely concerned about Castlemaine and Maryborough and their immediate future. I don't think we have any such problems at the moment in the GV. As Silver Tongue pointed out it wasn't all that long ago that Shepparton Swans tasted premiership success.

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I’m hearing two vastly different stories re the MFL and GVL , whilst news of O&M playing far outweighs news that they won’t , I’m thinking they’ll play .
Edit : While the last I heard, admittedly a little while ago , was that Bendigo were keen enough .

Roar today I am going to put 1 foot (only 1) on your positive band wagon (what did you call it again) and say I see hope with the news about the potential of crowds being allowed.But as Ringo mentioned in the previous post clubs struggling financially, I still think a big risk to play a 9 game season even with a crowd.

Trent the flight Steward

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 30, 2006
Cessnock
AFL Club
Geelong
Can't work in country footy unless two major leagues join eg Bendigo and Ballarat or gv or om to be one league, you can't have a major league join with minor leagues in country Victoria for a tiered comp especially in Bendigo and Shepp areas where the jump is too high or too low from major to minor,and dysfunction to junior footy

Divisional football is always an interesting topic. No doubt the Bendigo league is extremely concerned about Castlemaine and Maryborough and their immediate future. I don't think we have any such problems at the moment in the GV. As Silver Tongue pointed out it wasn't all that long ago that Shepparton Swans tasted premiership success.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 17, 2008
yonder
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Can't work in country footy unless two major leagues join eg Bendigo and Ballarat or gv or om to be one league, you can't have a major league join with minor leagues in country Victoria for a tiered comp especially in Bendigo and Shepp areas where the jump is too high or too low from major to minor,and dysfunction to junior footy

There was talk in Bendigo of YCW taking the step up to Bendigo FL when they moved to the growth suburb of Maiden Gully a few years ago.

That talk seems to have fizzled out.

I think Maryborough Castlemaine and Kyneton are a problem due to not fielding all netball and football grades.

Lockington tried to step up to Bendigo FL in 2000 from memory but had no u18s. I think the step was too big and after a few moves to different leagues settled in the Heathcote DFL. I might be wrong on this.

I can't see any new team joining the Bendigo FL unless they are from Bendigo. For example Strathfieldsaye

There was talk in Bendigo of YCW taking the step up to Bendigo FL when they moved to the growth suburb of Maiden Gully a few years ago.

That talk seems to have fizzled out.

I think Maryborough Castlemaine and Kyneton are a problem due to not fielding all netball and football grades.

Lockington tried to step up to Bendigo FL in 2000 from memory but had no u18s. I think the step was too big and after a few moves to different leagues settled in the Heathcote DFL. I might be wrong on this.

I can't see any new team joining the Bendigo FL unless they are from Bendigo. For example Strathfieldsaye
I may have mentioned it before, but I think the BFL should take a good look at Moama and or Echuca. Burgeoning young communities, and only an hour away.

Silver Tongue

Premiership Player
Jul 25, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I may have mentioned it before, but I think the BFL should take a good look at Moama and or Echuca. Burgeoning young communities, and only an hour away.
Echuca and Rochester been there and done that, although there was talk a few years back about Echuca returning the the BFL. Ringo would be able to comment on that.

Echuca and Rochester been there and done that, although there was talk a few years back about Echuca returning the the BFL. Ringo would be able to comment on that.
Yes, 40+ years ago. The country footy landscape has changed a fair bit since then. Clubs/leagues need to be thinking strategically as to what their best option is.

Silver Tongue

Premiership Player
Jul 25, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yes, 40+ years ago. The country footy landscape has changed a fair bit since then. Clubs/leagues need to be thinking strategically as to what their best option is.
Yes fair point. Was about to edit my original post figuring you were well aware of that fact. The chat about Echuca returning a few years back was while they were languishing down the bottom part of the ladder. I would be wondering why the GV arent chasing Moama to join our league as the Moama facilities appear to be top shelf. Struggling in the Murray League at present I believe?

Apr 17, 2008
yonder
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Including teams from Echuca/Moama into the Bendigo FL sounds like a good idea to me
Possibly Echuca and Rochy from the GV?
Plus Moama and Echuca United from the Murray FL?

4 teams that do have/could develop good local rivalries.

6 Bendigo teams + 4 from Echuca area sounds good. It also fits well with the geography of the Heathcote DFL and Lodden Valley FL. Both comps being roughly Bendigo and North to the Murray River.

Of course it all depends on what clubs want to do

ringo1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 30, 2006
Williamstown/Echuca
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yes fair point. Was about to edit my original post figuring you were well aware of that fact. The chat about Echuca returning a few years back was while they were languishing down the bottom part of the ladder. I would be wondering why the GV arent chasing Moama to join our league as the Moama facilities appear to be top shelf. Struggling in the Murray League at present I believe?
I would love to see Moama in the Gv or even Echuca United. The town is now big enough for two GV sides albeit the sponsorship dollars are tight atm. Reports that crowds of 1000 can attend AFL games as of this weekend.

Silver Tongue

Premiership Player
Jul 25, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Including teams from Echuca/Moama into the Bendigo FL sounds like a good idea to me

6 Bendigo teams + 4 from Echuca area sounds good. It also fits well with the geography of the Heathcote DFL and Lodden Valley FL. Both comps being roughly Bendigo and North to the Murray River.

I theory it sounds ideal. As you say though, I reckon the clubs you mention would need a lot of convincing.

ringo1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 30, 2006
Williamstown/Echuca
AFL Club
Collingwood

New Bendigo league

Sandhurst
Eaglehawk
Echuca
Echuca United
Rochester
Moama
Strathfieldsaye
South Bendigo
Golden Square
Kangaroo Flat

New GV
Seymour
Swans
Shep Bears
Shep United
Mooroopna
Cobram/Barooga
Mansfield *
Benalla*
Kyabram
Nathalia
Tatura
Euroa

Some of it has merit. Not sure of the long term plans of Benalla and Mansfield. Feel if they left then the GV would be in trouble under the above.

Last edited:

MIB63

Debutant
Mar 14, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
New Bendigo league

Sandhurst
Eaglehawk
Echuca
Echuca United
Rochester
Moama
Strathfieldsaye
South Bendigo
Golden Square
Kangaroo Flat

New GV
Seymour
Swans
Shep Bears
Shep United
Mooroopna
Cobram/Barooga
Mansfield *
Benalla*
Kyabram
Nathalia
Tatura

Some of it has merit. Not sure of the long term plans of Benalla and Mansfield. Feel if they left then the GV would be in trouble under the above.
Where have you sent Euroa ?

Bootz36

Club Legend
Sep 5, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
The dreadlocked( not sure if he still has them) Andrew Ciavarella would be a favourite if I was following the Dogs.

You won’t recognise Civa the next time he takes the field Ringo. Walking the streets of Ky, I had to look twice to realise who he was! The locks have gone and he’s got the close shave happening.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back