Goulburn Valley FL 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

More of a suburban mercenary wasn’t he?
It looks like it, but I'm surprised he never got up there. You do have TAB's up there don't you?. Last time I heard of him playing he was 48. He had this little mate who followed him everywhere and looked after his bag.

It looks like it, but I'm surprised he never got up there. You do have TAB's up there don't you?. Last time I heard of him playing he was 48. He had this little mate who followed him everywhere and looked after his bag.
Reckon he was linked to tonny at one stage but never pulled on the boots

Danny could really play. Some marks he took while at Bayswater were absolutely spectacular.

Cupido I couldn’t believe you boys signed him Cliff but they were desperate times. Damian was also a talented cricketer in his younger years. His father was a lovely guy & it’s a shame the apple didn’t fall close to the tree.

Singh I only ever saw in a practice match & did little. Not so sure his mind was that into the practice match.

Danny could really play. Some marks he took while at Bayswater were absolutely spectacular.

Cupido I couldn’t believe you boys signed him Cliff but they were desperate times. Damian was also a talented cricketer in his younger years. His father was a lovely guy & it’s a shame the apple didn’t fall close to the tree.

Singh I only ever saw in a practice match & did little. Not so sure his mind was that into the practice match.
Have never had anything to do with Damian Bobby, but as I said, his old man was the most engaging and welcoming person. That was probably 15 years back.

One from the early 80s ..Ex Melbourne and Seymour Full Forward Robert Walters. Reckon he did time for embezzlement at Dhurringile.
What a player he was won the riddlell league B and F at 18 kicked bags of 9and 7 at the dees(seniors) before finishing up at Dhurringile Played some great footy at murch- Toolamba where he was just a goal kicking machine. He then crossed over to Merrigum coaching them to the 1990 flag he was an absolute ripper ringo !!

Cassette spent a season up at Rennie in the old Coreen And District league in 2004. Kicked a ton and got them into the granny that year. Had a dramatic form slump in the granny which the Hoppers lost.

Enjoy the banter boys hope you can keep it going for the next 6 months.
I guess one that we haven't discussed is Brendan Fevola. With all his one game appearances he must have racked up a few clubs by now, although his is a very different playing career than other players mentioned so far.

Saw the "Indian" in Danny Cassett up close at a couple of clubs and his "bagman" in Frankie - it was a hoot!

Frankie would carry this old brown Gladstone bag around that had Danny's footy gear in it and sometimes a fair wad of cash that was used for his betting escapades. Before a game both guys would confirm their bets for the afternoon and sometimes this even happened at the breaks of games with them reading the form guide. Danny was a pretty harmless character and got himself into a bit of strife a few times due to not being that "street smart."

Danny and Frankie used to drive around in a sporty Nissan (think it was a 280zx) and when turning up at games that always became a talking point. In regards to remuneration Danny was driven by the coin but certainly wasn't someone that sat out a game until he got paid.

From a footy perspective he could certainly play. Was a bit undersized to play a key position but his amazing leap compensated for that. Was a bloody awkward looking kick but effective. Distance was an issue so he needed to be close to goal.

Fancied himself as a ladies man and was quite funny at times watching him work a room to see who was going to be his partner for the night.. The long tipped hair and shiny pants were a classic! And right behind him was Frankie!

On field and off field Danny consistently delivered in many ways - great times and funny memories. We still talk about some of his antics today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Were you coaching then hank??
Nah, but do remember the hoo haa, him and another bloke travelled up from Melb and watched Tonny in the cricket had a couple there, signed on, then called into the Stanhope pub and told everyone in there that they’d just signed at this club up the road for a kings ransom😂.
They were never seen again!

I reckon bill vlahos from the horse group the edge that went bust was also a footy mercenary, mainly Gippsland though
Some footy but mostly cricket. The only way I know that is through listening to Andrew Rule's Life and Crime Podcast.
I have linked the episode below.

There are plenty of great stories about crime. The info about his footy and cricket career starts just before the 25 min mark.
If you click on Andrew Rules picture it will take you to his Podcast site. If you then click on his picture or the heading Life and Crime with Andrew Rule it will take you to all his other Podcasts. Fascinating information on crimes and criminals. Well worth listening to.

Last edited:
Baker would have played majority at Euroa and Broady wouldn't he Swoop? I think he may have got deregistered but that was overturned. Doona may remember but maybe I'm getting confused with Tilly.

My first year in the Heathcote District league Baker was playing for Broadford and got rubbed out twice for breaking the jaw of the same bloke both times they played each other

Baker was not to be messed with but i still say the toughest GV footballer I've seen was Seymour's 'Butch' Inness
Baker could certainly play and could kick goals. Recall him eye gouging Rob Miller at Moon Oval late '90's when being well held. I was stood behind the goals. Miller took umbrage but Baker wasn't interested. I have said on here before, Miller rarely did, but could seriously put a combination of punches together.

To be fair to Baker, I watched him kick goals against Rochy but never witnessed him hit anyone.

Thought that may be the case. Only really knew Robbie through cricket..didn’t meet the other lads

Both Matt and Robbie in charge of Fitness programs at the Western Bulldogs and Richmond respectively. Between them they have been involved in AFL Premierships in 2016, 2017 and 2019. Not a bad record. Also big Bad Barry Hall's first cousins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back